+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Aches and Pains in different sleeping positions

I am now 20 weeks and having trouble sleeping, have read a lot of places not to sleep on right or back so have been trying to sleep on left (would be great if hubby didn't have tendency to face toward me breathing in my face making me want to hurt him greatly every night lol) i roll on to my right but starts causing pain in my right leg, i lay for a bit on my back and all aches and pains go. And the last two nights i have had to get up to pee a million times and as soon as i lay back in bed i get pains on the lower left and right side of my tummy I just want some comfortable sleep for just one night i would be happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried seeing a physio or massage? I had lots of trouble with aching hips/back last pregnancy and only coped with regular physio and massage. I highly recommend it!

ETA that won't help with the peeing a million times or sore tummy though unfortunately.
    It's so horrible when you can't sleep because of pain - I hope you find a solution

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing! I am struggling too... makes night time very looonng

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive never had a massage or physio before as i am not a fan of people touching me (i know the irony in that and whats about to happen in about 4 1/2mths time lol) . that is does dancingbutterfly, and makes for a very grumpy mummy to be once the sun does come up and i feel so tired, and even with every chance to sleep during the day no matter how tired i am i just cant go to sleep, i dont mind too much on the weekends except i would like some catch up sleep as i am up for work at 4am every day during the week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've read and been told by a midwife not too be too concerned if you sleep on your back as if your womb is constricting your vena cava ( large blood vessel) you would become breathless and wake up naturally anyway! I'm so glad I heard/ read this as I can't sleep on either side due a trapped nerve in my shoulder!
    I tend to stick a pillow down my right side ( from shoulder to hip) so that I'm not completely flat on my back, more kinda tilted on a slight angle leaning in towards the left. That might help.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had appointment on wed and asked my doc and he said at the moment not to worry about it also, but once im bigger to try and not sleep on my back and can make me feel feint and bub as well, im finding now if i lay on my back anyways my whole stomach feels sensitive like i have been coughing or throwing up all day, but am glad he was fine with me sleeping on my right and left.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try using the Belly Bean! Thoroughly recommend it. I tuck one bit under my back and one on the other side and I haven't had any pain since using it (about 5 weeks now).
    I have previously had a bad lower back at the best times but since using this I have been feeling good.

I wasn't keen on the idea of a body pillow as baby is due is Feb and figured it will be too hot to have a massive pillow in the bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Our mattress fortunately allows me to still sleep on my stomach (it's this molding gel so really soft and supportive) but if I sleep in a harder bed--I pretty much don't sleep.

I asked my OB about sleeping on my stomach and he said that the rules with sleeping positions are something that more and more studies are coming out saying they're not as much a worry as previously thought. The back is the main issue (stomach or either side is fine) but with sleeping on your back, you'll move long before anything will happen to the baby, because you'll start to get uncomfortable and roll yourself over.

His theory was that from now onwards your sleeping positions are pretty much on constant rotation from aches and pains so you're never in any position long enough and to just do whatever is comfortable at that moment in time.

I feel your pain though, although I can still sleep on my tummy I'm constantly moving around because my hips or knees hurt and I think I pee every hour! If we go away I don't sleep at all because our mattress is the only one I'm remotely comfortable on!