+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation Confused, needing some advice.

Hey everyone

About two weeks ago I found out I was pregnant with a very faint positive, I went to my family GP and again very faint positive.

All he did was send off a referal to the hospital I chose, they have a womens health clinic there where they handle women who are 12 weeks and onward. Then he gave me a referal for some blood work, without any referals for a dating scan.

I was worried so once I got all my blood work done, I went to a different doctor and had to actually beg her for a scan, saying I didn't know how far along I was. I just want to know why I wasnt meant to have one?

Anyway I had my scan today, and the doctor person who does the ultrasounds told me that he couldn't see a heartbeat and i was "approx" 4-5 weeks. Is it normal for no heartbeat to be seen this early? :c I'm very very worried and confused.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is normal for heartbeats not to be seen before 6 weeks as it hasn't developed enough to be seen. Blood tests close together will give an idea on the progress of the pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Dating scans aren't normally given, unless there is a real issue with dates or some other concern (eg recurrent miscarriage). One of the reasons they aren't done it that heartbeats aren't usually detected before 6-7 weeks and even then the heart rate can be low.

Depending on your age/risk factors you may have a 12 week scan, but typically most people only have a 20 week scan.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

wobblermummy  (09-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This happened to me op. I was sent for a dating scan because my dates from.my last period didn't match up to my hcg levels. We saw a sac but no baby and measured me 5 weeks. I was sent for another 2 weeks later and there was a strong healthy hb. Try not to stress it's prob just too early x

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Same happened to me love. Go back in a week and no doubt you will see a galloping heart rate too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had IVF and they don't do a "heart beat" scan until 7 weeks, so don't stress! At four weeks it's still a bunch of cells dividing and is teeny tiny.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohhh thank you guys so much! Makes me feel a lot better!