+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2868767778
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I suggested a friend of mine who is very anti boat arrivals watch it. She said its one sided and said she still feels more for the people in camps without the money to pay a people smuggler
    In what way does she think the show is biased?

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Actually that's a good question to pose to her bec. I will use that as an opener to another question. I'm pretty sure the answer will be because it put it to her that it puts the ones that arrive on a boat on the same level as the ones that are waiting in camps and that = bias, as the people in camps deserve higher consideration.

I know this is probably how I used to think, so now I'm more about how do I help educate others

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I really struggle with this, everyone's position sucks, there is currently no fair and equitable way we are able to distribute freedom to stateless people, I think people forget that all asylum seekers are victims of global problems. Ask her if she was in one of those camps if she would wait or if she would try to get her family to safety any way she could? The camp is Somalia didn't even have access the UNHCR resources as they were being blocked by militia, there is no registration for anyone there. Do they just wait? If so for how long does she think they should wait for?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-07-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    As horrific and tragic the stories are, there is nothing Australia can do to 'fix' the problem. All we can do is ask, "what can we do to help these people" and "how and where can we influence to stop/prevent situations like Somalia, Sri Lanka, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, again?" I don't think anyone in this thread is suggesting Australia can somehow fix the situations.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Actually that's a good question to pose to her bec. I will use that as an opener to another question. I'm pretty sure the answer will be because it put it to her that it puts the ones that arrive on a boat on the same level as the ones that are waiting in camps and that = bias, as the people in camps deserve higher consideration.
    Sorry if I'm sounding thick but what you mean by "same level" and how would that make the show biased?

I have been thinking hard today how someone could believe the series was biased. The possibilities so far:
    - They have picked worse case stories, ie, the stories depicted in the show of everyday Somalians and Afghans were not typical. (I would argue they were very typical.)
    - The show didn't discuss any potential clash of cultures (separate issue)
    - The show didn't propose any solutions (that wasn't it's aim)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a problem with the program. But I hadn't questioned why others would say its biased. As I said, I haven't asked her, but I know she believes in the queue, and that people arriving by boat are doing so because they have money and therefore are "less deserving" of our assistance. So I thought (although I will ask her to confirm or deny my thoughts), that a feeling of bias would come about if you thought screen time was given to a side that was less deserving as opposed to the other refugees

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Did anybody feel like Michael smith was not genuine or just putting on a show for the program?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Did anybody feel like Michael smith was not genuine or just putting on a show for the program?
    Yep I did and I think other participants did too.