+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 80 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I'm really glad to hear that you are open to watching it.
    I probably won't have time during the week but have set the DVR.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I understand why people would want to come here. However I do not believe economic advantage is sufficient reason for parents to risk the lives of their kids on rickety boats. I dont believe that the refugee situation in Indonesia/Malaysia is as bad as what people on BH claim. And I do not believe those who are safe from the persecution they fled (albeit in Indonesia/Malaysia) should be able to seek economic asylum in Australia by non traditional means. Australia can't afford to sponsor every economic refugee who wants a better life.
    So it's better for them to remain illegal immigrants in other countries?? I agree the boats are dangerous, but I don't agree that they are all economic refugees either. Even so, I don't think anyone should be forced to live in poverty.

No, we can't take everyone- but we can take more than we do. Indonesia and Malaysia, whether or not you believe how bad it is, treat these people as unlawful- coming here, as per the convention, is not. I don't understand your logic- leave them in a country unlawfully instead of legally allowing them here? It's the actual boats that are the problem, in my mind. We need to focus on getting them here safely, and take it from there.

***Trigger warning-distressing images***
    http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/11/22/...ntion-escapee/

What do you make of things like this VP?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

babyla  (29-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Considering about 90% of boat arrivals have been found to be genuine refugees in recent years (applications have only begun getting processed again since August 2012-so we don't know the stories of those that have arrived the past 11 months) I would say the government agrees and believes that a vast majority of these people are NOT economic refugees.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-07-2013),Clementine Grace  (28-07-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (30-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Considering about 90% of boat arrivals have been found to be genuine refugees in recent years (applications have only begun getting processed again since August 2012-so we don't know the stories of those that have arrived the past 11 months) I would say the government agrees and believes that a vast majority of these people are NOT economic refugees.
    EXACTLY. We know that around 90% of boat arrivals are found to be genuine refugees. Yet it is so often forgotten in this debate.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    More from Malcolm Fraser

“If you really want to stop people, you’d establish a major processing centre in Indonesia with UNHCR.”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...ags?CMP=twt_gu
    So glad Fraser agrees with me

I actually agree with this idea. There's a lot of political risk for the Indonesians that would need to be carefully managed though ('foreigners' telling them what to do etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I agree, you are right though - the Indonesians especially don't like it when we try and "stick our oar in".
    Yes, they aren't keen on Western countries telling them what to do (fair enough as well). They consider it colonialism.

But the right diplomacy and the right amount of cash would do it.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Ana - with the current situation globally, do you think there is a way to stop people getting on boats?
    Sorry, I missed this babyla.

To answer you question, short answer, no. While people still have something to run from they will still find anyway they can to escape.

Long answer, maybe but it is so complicated it is incredibly unlikely. It would require giving people a safe alternative that suits everyone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

babyla  (29-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    The governments definition is different from mine.

They probably give the benefit of the doubt to those who have thrown their ID documents overboard. I probably wouldn't.

I don't count those who pay people smugglers to come to Australia after flying into a country where they are safe from the persecution in their homelands. They are paying for economic advantage. I do count those that register with the UNHCR while in a third country and wait their turn.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Father  (28-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They probably give the benefit of the doubt to those who have thrown their ID documents overboard. I probably wouldn't.
    No they don't VP, that is why some asylum seekers end up in Detention for so long. Because they have trouble proving their identity. One fellow was in detention for almost 7 years until he got granted a bridging visa.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Again, Tuesday night, go back, there is a family in Indonesia, explaining why they are planing on getting in a boat. Gives real insight.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Interesting opinion piece in the SMH today.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/how-ca...728-2qsnm.html

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (29-07-2013)