+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 78 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I'd love to tell you of my personal experience VP. But I am like you, very cautious of over-sharing on the internet and being 'Found".
    Ok I trust you when you say you have experience. It just makes it harder for me to assess the information you provide if I don't know the details. But I totally understand why you aren't able to share details.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Have a read of my clarifying comments a few pages back. I believe a majority of asylum seekers are fleeing terrible situations in their homeland. However I think it is naive to think economic prosperity isn't on their minds when they are paying a people smuggler to take them from south east Asia to Australia.
    Yes I'm sure they are sailing over to the gates of Australia to plan how they can make their first million and buy a sports car.

Do you think people would put their children on a boat on that kind of journey so they can get here to try and make more money?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post

Do you think people would put their children on a boat on that kind of journey so they can get here to try and make more money?
    So they have a higher standard of living., yes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks, I know that doesn't help in terms of evidence. But I will do you a deal. Everything I post, I will say it is biased (as in lefty) or non biased (as in Government) then you can make up your mind if you want to read them or not. Ok?

Ok I trust you when you say you have experience. It just makes it harder for me to assess the information you provide if I don't know the details. But I totally understand why you aren't able to share details.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I get what you're saying about assessing information, we're people on the internet with other halves wondering what the f#% we're all doing most of the time and why we're talking to people we don't know

But, there is so much credible information which if you do watch, read it you will be able to figure out sources you trust and sources you don't. At the risk of sounding like a broken record or like I'm shoving something down your throat.. Go Back - Tuesday night. *ducks for cover*

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (28-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Thanks, I know that doesn't help in terms of evidence. But I will do you a deal. Everything I post, I will say it is biased (as in lefty) or non biased (as in Government) then you can make up your mind if you want to read them or not. Ok?
    Ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Speaking of, did you hear about that man who went into Centrelink the other day. He had $18,000 and was trying to give it to them, he was an asylum seeker and had made a promise to himself that if he ever "made it" he would pay back every cent he had ever been given by centrelink. They didn't know what to make of it. And he was a bit upset that they wouldn't accept his money.

http://au.businessinsider.com/this-f...success-2013-7
    Why do we not hear more of the good stories like that one?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

babyla  (28-07-2013),Clementine Grace  (28-07-2013),VicPark  (28-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I get what you're saying about assessing information, we're people on the internet with other halves wondering what the f#% we're all doing most of the time and why we're talking to people we don't know

But, there is so much credible information which if you do watch, read it you will be able to figure out sources you trust and sources you don't. At the risk of sounding like a broken record or like I'm shoving something down your throat.. Go Back - Tuesday night. *ducks for cover*
    Well when I get a working computer I actually intend to watch go back to where you can't from. The episode on Tuesday night is series 2 isn't it? I can watch series 2 before I've seen series 1....

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyla  (28-07-2013),beebs  (28-07-2013),Clementine Grace  (28-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well when I get a working computer I actually intend to watch go back to where you can't from. The episode on Tuesday night is series 2 isn't it? I can watch series 2 before I've seen series 1....
    I haven't seen series 2 yet. I'm watching it Tuesday but yeah it won't make a difference, I think the only difference is that the people in series 2 are well known Aussies. It's the whole series in one go, about 3 hours worth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I watched series two first. You know, it is one of those programs, I don't think it can be called biased, but it deffo is called that by people who don't like or want asylum seekers here. But one of the main chaps off series 2, Michael Smith (who I think you quoted back in the beginning) went over, thought - this is all terribly sad - but it didn't change his mind in the grand scheme of things.

If anything else, it is actually a really interesting series, but I won't change your mind if you don't want it too.