+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 80 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 791
  1. #711
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How do you know they are biased if you refuse to read them? I post things from UNHCR, are they biased? They don't particularly care where refugees go, as long as it is safe. They have no vested interest in them coming here.

    How do you know none of us have not ever lifted a finger to help refugees out? And you accuse us of being self righteous. Pot calling kettle black.

    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    And post a heap of biased links and expect me to change my mind.... Ermm...

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Kirst33  (28-07-2013)

  3. #712
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,690
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Your debating skills really need some work, that is just my opinion of course.
    pointless comment. I could also say as you have failed to convince moi of your train of thought you're debating skills are as equally in need of first aid.

  4. #713
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Arm chair warriors is not meant as a personal dig at any one specific individual. It's a shorthand way of saying something that I can't be bothered typing out each time "I asses with extra scrutiny the views of those who have no personal experience in directly working with asylum seeker issues. This is because most people are already overly emotional and biased when it comes to this issue and I can not take what they say word for word. And I will not be conned into believing someone because they have an aura of righteousness about them. I do not accept a righteous attitude from someone if they have never actually lifted a finger to help those they are claiming to be righteous about."

    See much easier to say armchair warrior.

    If anyone is personally offended by this I apologise... But geesh.. Harden up.
    I'm a fairly hardened individual and also considerably unemotional (according to most people who know me) but I think an issue like this in order to be objective requires a certain amount of empathy. I'm not a lefty bleeding heart and I do work with asylum seekers - I seek out lots of sources on this, even those I think might be biased I still consider, it's part of being informed. I'm not offended by any of the terms you use I just think that it weakens your argument to use them.

    I think you are so closed off on this VP that you call every source biased and everyone emotional but that doesn't change certain facts.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

    BigRedV  (28-07-2013)

  6. #714
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,690
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post

    How do you know none of us have not ever lifted a finger to help refugees out? And you accuse us of being self righteous. Pot calling kettle black.
    Im not saying that. All I'm saying is that unless I know of your personal experience I will be extra cautious when assessing your input. And Yes I do expect others view what I say in the same light.

  7. #715
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,431
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked
    2,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post

    I find your claim of refugees searching 'for a first world lifestyle' abhorrent. Heaven forbid that a human being just wants basic human rights.

    .
    I do too. This attitude towards other humans just makes me very sad.

  8. #716
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At least I am trying. You on the other hand are talking about your "opinions" with nothing to back them up and not posting any links because you assume we are all like you.

    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    pointless comment. I could also say as you have failed to convince moi of your train of thought you're debating skills are as equally in need of first aid.

  9. #717
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd love to tell you of my personal experience VP. But I am like you, very cautious of over-sharing on the internet and being 'Found".

    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Im not saying that. All I'm saying is that unless I know of your personal experience I will be extra cautious when assessing your input. And Yes I do expect others view what I say in the same light.

  10. #718
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,690
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I do too. This attitude towards other humans just makes me very sad.
    Have a read of my clarifying comments a few pages back. I believe a majority of asylum seekers are fleeing terrible situations in their homeland. However I think it is naive to think economic prosperity isn't on their minds when they are paying a people smuggler to take them from south east Asia to Australia.

  11. #719
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    because you assume we are all like you.
    In that you won't read articles so you assume we won't either. And that is not the case.

  12. #720
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,431
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked
    2,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Very few asylum seekers are sent home from Indonesia/Malaysia. Many are housed in facilities and some kids do have a access to charity provided education. Just like visa overstayers here people make it work.

    It has nothing to do with a lack of empathy or humanity. It's more to do with looking at the facts objectively allows me to come up with an un emotionally biased (clouded?) assessment.
    I'm really interested to know where this perception comes from? Reading, a doco, online blog? I'm honestly interested to know the areas in which these people are housed in adequate housing and children have access to good education and charity relief?

    We must be reading different books/papers and talking to different refugees.


 

Similar Threads

  1. 4 corners - asylum seekers...
    By babyla in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 30-04-2013, 09:47
  2. Asylum seekers (frustration)
    By Witwicky in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 19-08-2012, 14:38
  3. Zoo weekly exploiting asylum seekers. Sign the petition!
    By Ffrenchknickers in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 23-07-2012, 15:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
BAE The Label
Versatile, premium maternity wear that you will love throughout pregnancy and long after. Cleverly designed for for all stages of motherhood so that you can 'Just be you (+1)'.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Little Kickers NSW
Little Kickers was launched in 2002 in the UK and arrived Down Under in 2009. Our motto is “Play not Push” and we provide a positive fun-filled soccer program for children aged 18 months -7 years in a vibrant, group play environment.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!