+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 80 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How do you know they are biased if you refuse to read them? I post things from UNHCR, are they biased? They don't particularly care where refugees go, as long as it is safe. They have no vested interest in them coming here.

How do you know none of us have not ever lifted a finger to help refugees out? And you accuse us of being self righteous. Pot calling kettle black.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    And post a heap of biased links and expect me to change my mind.... Ermm...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (28-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Your debating skills really need some work, that is just my opinion of course.
    pointless comment. I could also say as you have failed to convince moi of your train of thought you're debating skills are as equally in need of first aid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Arm chair warriors is not meant as a personal dig at any one specific individual. It's a shorthand way of saying something that I can't be bothered typing out each time "I asses with extra scrutiny the views of those who have no personal experience in directly working with asylum seeker issues. This is because most people are already overly emotional and biased when it comes to this issue and I can not take what they say word for word. And I will not be conned into believing someone because they have an aura of righteousness about them. I do not accept a righteous attitude from someone if they have never actually lifted a finger to help those they are claiming to be righteous about."

See much easier to say armchair warrior.

If anyone is personally offended by this I apologise... But geesh.. Harden up.
    I'm a fairly hardened individual and also considerably unemotional (according to most people who know me) but I think an issue like this in order to be objective requires a certain amount of empathy. I'm not a lefty bleeding heart and I do work with asylum seekers - I seek out lots of sources on this, even those I think might be biased I still consider, it's part of being informed. I'm not offended by any of the terms you use I just think that it weakens your argument to use them.

I think you are so closed off on this VP that you call every source biased and everyone emotional but that doesn't change certain facts.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (28-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

How do you know none of us have not ever lifted a finger to help refugees out? And you accuse us of being self righteous. Pot calling kettle black.
    Im not saying that. All I'm saying is that unless I know of your personal experience I will be extra cautious when assessing your input. And Yes I do expect others view what I say in the same light.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post

I find your claim of refugees searching 'for a first world lifestyle' abhorrent. Heaven forbid that a human being just wants basic human rights.

I do too. This attitude towards other humans just makes me very sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At least I am trying. You on the other hand are talking about your "opinions" with nothing to back them up and not posting any links because you assume we are all like you.

pointless comment. I could also say as you have failed to convince moi of your train of thought you're debating skills are as equally in need of first aid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd love to tell you of my personal experience VP. But I am like you, very cautious of over-sharing on the internet and being 'Found".

Im not saying that. All I'm saying is that unless I know of your personal experience I will be extra cautious when assessing your input. And Yes I do expect others view what I say in the same light.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I do too. This attitude towards other humans just makes me very sad.
    Have a read of my clarifying comments a few pages back. I believe a majority of asylum seekers are fleeing terrible situations in their homeland. However I think it is naive to think economic prosperity isn't on their minds when they are paying a people smuggler to take them from south east Asia to Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    because you assume we are all like you.
    In that you won't read articles so you assume we won't either. And that is not the case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Very few asylum seekers are sent home from Indonesia/Malaysia. Many are housed in facilities and some kids do have a access to charity provided education. Just like visa overstayers here people make it work.

It has nothing to do with a lack of empathy or humanity. It's more to do with looking at the facts objectively allows me to come up with an un emotionally biased (clouded?) assessment.
    I'm really interested to know where this perception comes from? Reading, a doco, online blog? I'm honestly interested to know the areas in which these people are housed in adequate housing and children have access to good education and charity relief?

We must be reading different books/papers and talking to different refugees.