+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 80 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    What about those who are not refugees, but using our weak borders to gain entry under a false claim to be a refugee? You are quite naive to think that they are all legitimate.

I for one think that this is quite a good idea from Rudd and am impressed at how quickly he managed to develop this deal with PNG. It should hopefully reduce the pull factors, which should see boats, (and as a result, deaths) reduce.
    For those that have the view that we should be helping them if they arrive by boat, we do have an annual figure for refugee immigration. 'Stopping the boats' will not reduce the numbers of refugees that we accept to live in Australia. It will, however, enable those unfortunate families that have been stuck in refugee camps around the world for years (some decades) to gain entry to Australia. The people who do not have $10,000 per head to jump on a boat. I would much rather help those who cannot help themselves. I have much more sympathy for them than I do for a middle aged man who flew into Indonesia with a visa-on-arrival, to then pay a smuggler substantial amounts of money to finish the journey direct to Australia. I am all for helping refugees - but if they are legitimate, they should be happy (I guess they can be disappointed if it is not their 1st choice of destination) regardless which country they end up in, as long as they are free from the threat that they were fleeing.
    As you are well aware, having been told in multiple times in many threads, around 90% of asylum seekers arriving by boat are found to be genuine refugees.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-07-2013),beebs  (19-07-2013),CleverClogs  (20-07-2013),HollyGolightly81  (19-07-2013),orlyon  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    VIOLENCE flared on Nauru as hundreds of asylum seekers sought to break out of the detention facility this afternoon. More than 50 asylum seekers were arrested and are held at the island's police station.
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226682203915

Rudd could also afford to send a message to these people too. Rioting and injuring staff and police is not acceptable at all. Their 'refugee' claims should be rejected due to a fail character assessment. This sort of activity should not be condoned at all.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

bluebellknoll  (20-07-2013),Meld85  (20-07-2013),VicPark  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    As you are well aware, having been told in multiple times in many threads, around 90% of asylum seekers arriving by boat are found to be genuine refugees.
    What about the remaining 10%? Should we just let them waltz in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those who cannot trust a non-Fairfax paper.

The Nauru detention centre descended into chaos on Friday night with riots breaking out and reports a policeman had been stabbed and was being held hostage.

There were also reports of multiple explosions and parts of the centre being set on fire.

Between 150 and 200 detainees were involved in the rioting and many have breached the fence, according to a spokeswoman for the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.
    According to reports, 200 people escaped from the centre and 59 arrests have been made.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...#ixzz2ZUsaP7RN

I hope these people are sent home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We don't. As you are aware. There are far more non-genuine refugees coming by plane than there are by boat.
    What about the remaining 10%? Should we just let them waltz in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you knew anything at all about immigration policy -you would know that there is no "queue".

I don't disagree with most of your post. But there is no queue, there never has been.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsoptomistic View Post
    If you were the ones who had to pick dead bodies out of the water (which I highly doubt any of you are) you would support any stance that would deter people smugglers from taking advantage of people who thought they would have the opportunity to live in Australia only to die on the journey. I know I will get flamed for saying so, but i support the use of the appropriate processes, don't jump the queue (and that is what people are doing moving through 'safe' countries to get here) because you have the cash. I am all for lifting the numbers of asylum seekers Australia takes, but it shouldn't be a case of who has the most money gets here first. We also need to consider our economy, habitable land mass, water resources, environment, health system etc before increasing our population (either by refugee settlement or immigration) Look forward to a lively debate. I am sure KRudd would not have come out with this policy if he didn't think it would be popular to the majority.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-07-2013),Atropos  (19-07-2013),Funchu  (21-07-2013),risfaerie  (20-07-2013)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    In not sure I understand what all the fuss is about. Asylum seekers are fleeing dangerous places and getting resettled. So they don't get their first pick (Australia) but they still get to live away from the danger they were fleeing. What's so bad about PNG?
    I know someone already gave you a link but this is a place that has extreme poverty, high levels of violence and rape, rampant HIV/AIDS and regularly burns people (mostly women) as witches. Their is also endemic corrupt in government so the billions of dollars that Rudd has agreed to give to them is not going to help anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/natio...-1226681915951

Way to convince the Australian people that you will be a great citizen if relocated here...
    A high majority of detainees suffer mental trauma and illness not only from the places they have come but from being in mandatory detention. These people have snapped from the conditions we put them in.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-07-2013),Atropos  (20-07-2013),Busy-Bee  (20-07-2013),Izy  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about those who are not refugees, but using our weak borders to gain entry under a false claim to be a refugee? You are quite naive to think that they are all legitimate.

I for one think that this is quite a good idea from Rudd and am impressed at how quickly he managed to develop this deal with PNG. It should hopefully reduce the pull factors, which should see boats, (and as a result, deaths) reduce.
    For those that have the view that we should be helping them if they arrive by boat, we do have an annual figure for refugee immigration. 'Stopping the boats' will not reduce the numbers of refugees that we accept to live in Australia. It will, however, enable those unfortunate families that have been stuck in refugee camps around the world for years (some decades) to gain entry to Australia. The people who do not have $10,000 per head to jump on a boat. I would much rather help those who cannot help themselves. I have much more sympathy for them than I do for a middle aged man who flew into Indonesia with a visa-on-arrival, to then pay a smuggler substantial amounts of money to finish the journey direct to Australia. I am all for helping refugees - but if they are legitimate, they should be happy (I guess they can be disappointed if it is not their 1st choice of destination) regardless which country they end up in, as long as they are free from the threat that they were fleeing.
    To be fair Father I'm not against them waltzing.

93.4% in 11/12 were found to be genuine refugees.

Proportion of boat arrivals to all permanent migrants in 2011/12 - 4.4%

It won't eliminate anything except our moral and legal obligations. So long as there is persecution there will be people seeking refuge, all we're doing is hand balling it.

When you look at a countries capacity versus their contribution to the issue globally we rank really low. We currently take around .23% of the worlds refugees.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (20-07-2013),MsTruth  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those who cannot trust a non-Fairfax paper.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...#ixzz2ZUsaP7RN

I hope these people are sent home.
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    The dude that has spent over 1100 days there without any sort of progress is now probably hoping the same thing. Anything is better than living in limbo for years on end with no light at the end of the tunnel. Put it into some context.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (20-07-2013),Izy  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I honestly think we need to be getting rid of the enormous number of people overstaying visas, then we would have plenty of room to safely bring refugees here. I would much rather have refugees, grateful for their new lives working hard to make a life for themselves. In fact I would be happy for the govt to prioritise refugees over every single other type of immigrant full stop.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-07-2013),Atropos  (20-07-2013),CleverClogs  (20-07-2013),Eko  (20-07-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (20-07-2013),JustUs3  (20-07-2013),Mysurprisebaby  (20-07-2013),RobinSparkles  (20-07-2013),Rutabaga  (27-07-2013)