+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
    Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    White, English speaking people ARE more welcome in our society. You'd have to be blind not to see it. It's not, from what I have read, because they want more info on refugees- there is plenty of information out there if only people would turn away from chain emails and Facebook posts and actually seek information from a reputable source. Are you really surprised that others are racist? Not necessarily on this thread but in general.
    Facebook alone is full of groups like F@ck off, we're full, Speak English or p!ss off and don't even start me on other online groups like stormfront Racism is alive and well in Australia.
    Learning English is definitely a smart move for any immigrant, I agree, but from what I understand, it's really, really hard. And I know from working in retail some time ago, that many Australians are impatient with imperfect English. It must be a nerve wracking experience!
    I totally agree that Australia is a very racist country, but I think that is irrespective of immigration.

I think the point is most people wouldn't have known Beebs father was in the country illegally, same as you can't pick who is born in this country from the colour of their skin.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I see what you are saying. He was very open about it though - in the 70s they had an amnesty for citizenship. Literally ring up the dept of Immigration, tell them you want to be a citizen - no questions asked. So he did that, it wasn't like he could be deported after that, so he was quite open about it all.

Baybla, I'd love to read that report in full! I have heard of it, but not read it.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I totally agree that Australia is a very racist country, but I think that is irrespective of immigration.

I think the point is most people wouldn't have known Beebs father was in the country illegally, same as you can't pick who is born in this country from the colour of their skin.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I see what you are saying. He was very open about it though - in the 70s they had an amnesty for citizenship. Literally ring up the dept of Immigration, tell them you want to be a citizen - no questions asked. So he did that, it wasn't like he could be deported after that, so he was quite open about it all.

Baybla, I'd love to read that report in full! I have heard of it, but not read it.
    Was that under Gough? I heard about that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just had a read up - apparently it was Fraser!! There is a quote from him doing the rounds on facebook, it is really good, but I don't know how to put it up on here. He said "...If people are genuine refugees....there is no deterrent we can create which is going to be severe enough, cruel enough, nasty enough to stop them fleeing the terror from which they flee in their own lands." - Malcolm Fraser
    Can you believe it? Maybe he isn't as bad as I thought?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Was that under Gough? I heard about that!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

babyla  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    "...If people are genuine refugees....there is no deterrent we can create which is going to be severe enough, cruel enough, nasty enough to stop them fleeing the terror from which they flee in their own lands." - Malcolm Fraser
    Pretty simple really. Why deterrence doesn't work - in a nutshell.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (27-07-2013),Cdro  (28-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Malcolm Fraser is awesome these days

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by ArthurDent; 27-07-2013 at 22:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fraser has always been a true in the political theory sense. Its just unfortunate that we had a party called liberal here that creates s distorted meaning of the term for Australians.
    Fraser resigned from the libs because they had ceased to be 'liberal' and he's quite right on that store.

He has some great things to say about Australian foreign policy generally.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had a read up - apparently it was Fraser!! There is a quote from him doing the rounds on facebook, it is really good, but I don't know how to put it up on here. He said "...If people are genuine refugees....there is no deterrent we can create which is going to be severe enough, cruel enough, nasty enough to stop them fleeing the terror from which they flee in their own lands." - Malcolm Fraser
    Yeah - there's been some recent quotes which are very pro refugees - he's had a lot to say on this area recently

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    You cant stop genuine refugees fleeing their homeland. But you can remove the incentive for them to transit through 4 different countries on their way to their first pick for resettlement.
    - Frasers words only fly if people are seeking asylum from Indonesia/Malaysia.