+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 78 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374826260.555232.jpg

This is what an asylum seeker problem looks like!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Attachment 39856

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Attachment 39856

Yep. It would be nice to prioritise helping them! Rather than those who have the ability to fly around the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You seem to think that if you have money, or if your family gives you money, then you can't be a genuine refugee. I find this attitude very strange. But also very telling, that you have no read any of the stories linked on this thread about boat people.

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Yep. It would be nice to prioritise helping them! Rather than those who have the ability to fly around the world.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (26-07-2013),babyla  (26-07-2013),BigRedV  (26-07-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (26-07-2013),HollyGolightly81  (26-07-2013),orlyon  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    “My father was killed when I was 17, my brother kidnapped and killed — I was beaten many times by insurgents,” he explained. ”I exhausted all options before getting on the boat — I went to Pakistan and tried to come legally but there are over 3 million refugees in Pakistan — if you were to wait in some refugee queue you would never be processed — I came to save my life." - Yaseed Muhammad, a 24-year-old Afghan refugee.

Why don't we all just stop pretending shall we, lets all just stop pretending that if we were in these same type situations, that we would go to the ends of the earth, raised money any which way, and do whatever it took to get our kids to safe place.

Ridiculous and so very easy, to sit back in our comfortable safe homes here in Australia and judge others for taking a journey that can very well end in death.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (26-07-2013),babyla  (26-07-2013),Clementine Grace  (26-07-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (26-07-2013),HollyGolightly81  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    *raise"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Looking at that picture confirmed that I would hate for my child to have his childhood there. People must be at the end of their rope with the decisions they make. I could not even imagine making a choice like that, both options are completely harrowing.

Paul Bongiorno tweeted today...

"Unarmed desperate families, men women and children in leaky boats a threat to our national security. Are we mad?"

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-07-2013),HollyGolightly81  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As conversations seem to be going round and round in circles I'm not going to comment on what has already been said in the last 10 pages or so but nonetheless on related issue.

A lot of people comment on the Convention and hold it responsible for ascertaining who is recognised, who isn't and who gets the right to enter a country. Thing is, the Convention was not written to be used as a migration control instrument and shouldn't be called upon to act as one. To cite the Convention as being responsible is incorrect both by design and by law. The state still retains its inalienable right to stipulate entry requirements be they signatories to the Convention or not. The Convention is not the panacea as comments in here imply it is and constantly dragging it out to cement a point to justify entry etc is an inaccuracy. From my perspective, my main concern is that Australia stands to breach its obligations at international law (and not the Convention). Yet no one has really mentioned this aspect.

This issue should be, as Rudd has called for, discussed inconference at international level. While the new policy is repugnant to me for reasons already expressed, I have to commend Rudd for taking the initiative to explore new initiatives that place emphasis on co-operation and burden sharing between regional countries. I also support the right to exercise sovereignty of state which address refugee criteria as well as national security issues. I think it's a home truth that we can't take everyone in and nor should we. It is unfortunate, however, that his initial vision towards responsibility sharing has moved and is now focussed on anti-smuggling which won't work. Perhaps he has done this via pressure from the coalition and the poisonous debate being conducted in Australia which is fuelled by misinformation and rhetoric. But as other countries have demonstrated (oftenwith violence), policies placed around deterrents never work. I think the focus should return to who is arriving and why and to have the infrastructure already in place to address those aspects rather than fire up fears of smuggling.

On a side note, Indonesia does detain its asylum seekers. However it also dumps them in towns and leaves them to fend for themselves. It all depends on who is in charge at the time of the boat being intercepted...and who has money.

I think it's important to note, too, that it is possible to have a bank account here as a tourist, to utilise Medicare and to pay tax. It’s also not a crime to have or use private insurance while you’re here either. It has been omitted that many, many people who work here and then leave do so without collecting taxes or superannuation owed to them. And even if you are on a legitimate visa here, if you choose not to pay tax then this is a violation of that visa and had this crime been discovered, the visa would have been revoked, making the holder an overstayer (and criminal).
    Last edited by Caviar; 26-07-2013 at 20:05. Reason: ..thank you to the kind poster who educated me about the format function...duh! :) I now have paragraphs and spacing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post

Why don't we all just stop pretending shall we, lets all just stop pretending that if we were in these same type situations, that we would go to the ends of the earth, raised money any which way, and do whatever it took to get our kids to safe place.

Ridiculous and so very easy, to sit back in our comfortable safe homes here in Australia and judge others for taking a journey that can very well end in death.
    Um, I didn't come from a safe or comfortable home. I don't sit back and judge others about what I assume their circumstances to be either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not going to comment any more. It really saddens me to hear of the massive lack of compassion shown by some.

The country you are born into is pure luck. We are so extremely lucky to be born into an amazing, wealthy and most of all FREE country like Australia. Yet we think we can make black and white judgments of those who have been in horrific war zones, famine and have been tortured and had family members murdered. If you don't have the right visa and don't come here the way we want you to, we won't help you. Even CHILDREN.

It saddens me to think of all the issues currently facing our country people still choose to get on the bandwagon of "stop the boats" with such gusto. For a very small number of refugee's in reality. I need to stay out of these threads, they only make me more frustrated and disheartened.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-07-2013),babyla  (26-07-2013),beebs  (26-07-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (26-07-2013),HollyGolightly81  (26-07-2013),Kirst33  (26-07-2013)