+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 78 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesushi View Post
    I think this is an excellent idea!

Many of those visa overstay ppl come from the same countries with asylum seekers so maybe they are just trying to escape poverty or dangerous situation. Maybe they don't take refugee places because of the fear of being deported back to where they try to run away from? I know people working in Australia for $5/hour and live like rats, guess it's even much more horrible in their home country. Not that I support breaking the law either it's visa overstay or people smuggling, but I don't understand why you would be ok with one and not the other.
    I'm not particularly anti anyone coming here. But to say visa overstayers don't cost the country money or cause any detriment is wrong- that's what I was saying, in response toFathers post.
    People who come in on a tourist or student visa have the right to claim asylum too. The thing is, lots of visa overstayers are from the UK and similar places and are not refugees.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-07-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it was Anagram earlier said the majority of visa overstayers are currently from China - as far as I know - China isn't a country that has people leaving as refugees (I might be wrong - it just isn't a country that I've heard of refugees arriving from).

Not sure where the information came from - maybe Anagram can further elaborate on this issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I think it was Anagram earlier said the majority of visa overstayers are currently from China - as far as I know - China isn't a country that has people leaving as refugees (I might be wrong - it just isn't a country that I've heard of refugees arriving from).

Not sure where the information came from - maybe Anagram can further elaborate on this issue.
    Found this article but it is from 2009-
    "There are almost 50,000 visa overstayers living illegally in Australia.More than one in 10 is from China.
    Entrants from the US, Malaysia and Britain are also big overstayers.
    Most come in on tourist visas, but about 3600 are foreign students who disappear into the community when their course is over."

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1225708050188

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post

It's only in the last few years that China has taken the top spot. When I started studying the majority of visa overstayers were from Western countries, think backpackers, holiday makers and students. It has been in the last year or so that China has had a big increase.

I had the breakdown of stats from my last unit but I can't find it

China does have asylum seekers and refugees, mostly members from the Falun Gong.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-07-2013),beebs  (26-07-2013),lovesushi  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope this isn't a stupid question but how do people just simply overstay and and not get detected?

What about Medicare, applying for jobs, rentals , tax, bank accounts etc etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    They just don't leave when their visa runs out. Cash in hand work means they don't have to pay tax and the other things are fairly easy to get around, for a while.

I had a friend many years ago who overstayed his visa. He worked cash in hand, never had an issue with rentals mostly because he name was rarely on it. He was eventually caught and detained and sent home.

Visa overstayers are harder to catch that asylum seekers who arrive by boat because they were already here legally and then can just disappear into the community.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But I thought it was now illegal for employers to pay cash in hand to employees and if they are caught doing so they are fined heavily?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it is illegal. But it doesn't mean there isn't any cash in hand work to be found.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I hope this isn't a stupid question but how do people just simply overstay and and not get detected?

What about Medicare, applying for jobs, rentals , tax, bank accounts etc etc?
    You just simply don't get on a plane back, find cash in hand jobs and rooms to rent on websites like gum tree, etc. If on a tourist visa, I assume you couldn't have a bank account here. You don't pay taxes, aren't supposed to/allowed to use Medicare. A tourist that didn't need a tourist visa would be harder to find/detect, they'd get caught when they tried to leave OZ and customs see in their passport that they overstayed. Not sure what would happen with other visa holders, since the government would have more of a record.

I actually did this in my early 20's in UK, I stayed there for 2 years as a tourist. Technically I never overstayed the 6 month tourist stamp they would give my passport when I would enter since we were always exiting to travel Europe and I went home a few times, every time I entered again they would give me another 6 month stamp. At the time (not sure if it's still the same) but they would not give you a stamp when you exited so they had no proof of how long you stayed on your last trip when you re-entered. Australia does give a stamp when you exit.

I worked cash in hand in nanny jobs I found on gumtree (although my money definitely went straight back into their economy due to being a 22 year old that loved Topshop and H & M and no concept of how to save money! I didn't pay taxes or have a bank account, I did use their NHS system but at the time is was completely universal, if you were in the country then you had access to it, my understanding is they are cracking down on this now. Why did I do this? I met my Australian boyfriend in the states a few weeks before he left for the UK to use his two year visa, I went to visit him and couldn't bring myself to leave him, we're now married. I didn't break the law by 'overstaying' since they kept giving me another 6 months, but I did by working.

I obviously don't think it's right to take advantage of another country's system, but it would be pretty hypocritical of me to have a big problem with it. What I did was wrong but I can't say I regret it because it enabled me to build my relationship with somebody who is my best friend and love of my life.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 26-07-2013 at 13:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a nanny and a doula here, all of my work is cash in hand. But I claim myself as an 'independent contractor' and it is my responsibility to claim my wages and pay my taxes on them. So I don't pay tax when I receive my pay, but I do at the end of the financial year when I claim everything and then get a hefty bill to pay!