+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 80 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought I must of misheard/misread the news.
    But I didn't.
    So sad.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (19-07-2013),risfaerie  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaq View Post
    But if they are so damned committed to "stopping the boats", so worried about the dying kids in the water etc, why not make it ABOUT the boats? Why not make it about the people smugglers?

Why funnel all that money into building bigger detention centres and bribing small countries to take our refugees when we could be putting it into investigating people smuggling and taking action against the smugglers themselves.

Or, here's an idea - let's make it EASY to get to Australia. Let's offer refugees a safe, easy, option. Let's facilitate a pathway that doesn't involve desperate crossings to escape places where refugees are almost as vulnerable as they were in their home countries?

Let's build our own freaking boats. Ferries! Make border control an actual reality - let's have a gateway in the Straits, nw WA, in Darwin. Let's HELP refugees to arrive in Australia, let's actually assume a moral, pro-immigration stance for once.

If the argument is people's safety, how about we talk about helping them rather than stopping them?
    I completely agree that the entire framework and language surrounding this issue needs to change. It really should be a bi-partisan humanitarian issue not a political football.

That said, I also don't think it's feasible for our borders to be completely open. There needs to be some process to manage and process refugee immigration into this country.

I sincerely hope that one day soon this can be achieved without the risk to life and without the flagrant human rights abuses like detention of asylum seekers that currently occurs.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

Calstar  (20-07-2013),orlyon  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    In not sure I understand what all the fuss is about. Asylum seekers are fleeing dangerous places and getting resettled. So they don't get their first pick (Australia) but they still get to live away from the danger they were fleeing. What's so bad about PNG?
    Well for starters, the poverty experienced by a large proportion of the population says to me that they will struggle to support these refugees, it being a 3rd world country. Also, we are signatory to the refugee convention which allows refugees to seek asylum here- we are effectively not complying with this.
    Also, from an article in the Age-
    "But lawyer David Manne, who led the successful High Court challenge to the Labor government's controversial Malaysia Solution, said Mr Rudd's plan was a fundamental repudiation of Australia's commitment to protect refugees."All the independent evidence points to PNG being, sadly, very unsafe and also a place where there is widespread and pervasive violence, including against women, and serious and ongoing daily human rights abuse throughout the country," he told ABC TV."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

orlyon  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually, PNG is supposed to be quite expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Not sure. Just wanted to add those figures mean diddly squat unless you look at them in conjunction with the cost of living (which would be much lower).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Its not so much that I don't think, rather Australia is party to the geneva convention and has agreed to take asylum seekers and grant refugee status to people who meet the refugee requirements i.e face persecution in their home country. This policy seems to ignore that because its not convenient now. We're eitger party to it or we're not. You shouldn't say one thing on paper because it's and PC do the opposite. As for the smugglers. They guys on the boats are so fsr removed from the actual people controlling the whole deal. They're normally young, poor , fisherman who were offered a probably a years salary to skipper a boat. Indo government is so corrupt, without doubht tgry sre making money from people smugglers paying them off and you need Indonesia on side to get to the ring leaders.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Izy  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyDiversion View Post
    I completely agree that the entire framework and language surrounding this issue needs to change. It really should be a bi-partisan humanitarian issue not a political football.

That said, I also don't think it's feasible for our borders to be completely open. There needs to be some process to manage and process refugee immigration into this country.

I sincerely hope that one day soon this can be achieved without the risk to life and without the flagrant human rights abuses like detention of asylum seekers that currently occurs.
    There's no need for our borders to be completely open. We need to maintain border security to stop criminals. (Refugees are not criminals. They have a legal right to seek asylum in Australia and we have signed international treaties assuring we will give asylum to those who seek it!)

So quite obviously, the only "problem" is the means of transport the asylum seekers are forced to adopt.

So why funnel funds into detention centres RATHER than facilitating the safe movement of these people who we have an OBLIGATION to accept. And here's an idea - make it easy, make it safe, and surely "processing" becomes easier?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Just watching sky news and the idiot on there is discussing how png is not a good option because it's not safe. Because turning back the boats is

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Such a lack of empathy and compassion for the sad plight of some fellow human beings, most of which are just desperate for a better life - Ironically, its so Un Australian

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Genuinely not sure what you're asking and what the relevance is... Are you saying that if the place they've come from is worse then they shouldn't have anything to complain about?
    Sigh...no. Genuine question out of genuine curiosity. I feel it's very relevant for a myriad of reasons, firstly being MY personal interest in the governments motives of choice of relocation. I'll google, thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tootsiegirl View Post
    Sigh...no. Genuine question out of genuine curiosity. I feel it's very relevant for a myriad of reasons, firstly being MY personal interest in the governments motives of choice of relocation. I'll google, thanks.
    No need to sigh, I was trying to understand the context of your question. It wasn't clear to me, my question was also genuine.