+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 78 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Honestly father, I'm fairly certain you can imagine the scenario I am purposing to you. You are an afghan of a minority group that faces persecution.
    No. Each story is not the same, despite many telling the same story when they get interviewed in Australia. I don't know what situation you are trying to paint.

What minority group? Why am I fearing for my life? Have I done something? Are my family in danger? What religion am I? Do I have money?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    No. Each story is not the same, despite many telling the same story when they get interviewed in Australia. I don't know what situation you are trying to paint.

What minority group? Why am I fearing for my life? Have I done something? Are my family in danger? What religion am I? Do I have money?
    Or for heaven's sakes! I know not every story is the same! I said imagine that Najeeba's story is yours. I also did answer your question and give you scenarios...

If you can't bring yourself to imagine and empathize then don't worry about it.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 24-07-2013 at 20:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I see what you mean, but surely asylum seekers (those in camps and on boats, all of them) have come from the same position of danger and persecution? I just don't get why one is more deserving than the other when both were essentially in the same boat (pardon the pun).
    They do not all come from the same position of danger and persecution. One has to prove that they should be classified as a refugee, you don't just tick a box and say you are from Afghanistan and you're in. Just being in Afghan is not grounds for seeking asylum.
    So no, they are not all the same. Those that have the ability as you put it, 'beg, borrow, streak or sell' had time and options. Those they have just gone with nothing probably didn't have options. I would rather help the ones without a cent to their name because they have lost everything.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

Sharlee32  (24-07-2013),VicPark  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Father, why don't you imagine you are in fairyflosses shoes and state what you would do? Perhaps that scenario wasn't suggested to you since Fairyflosses views (despite coming to OZ as an asylum seeker) are not supportive of the BH majority's cause.

Yes I am being smart aleky. Just trying to highlight that scenarios can be narrowly cherry-picked in order to solicit a pre-defined outcome.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Sharlee32  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Father, why don't you imagine you are in fairyflosses shoes and state what you would do? Perhaps that scenario wasn't suggested to you since Fairyflosses views (despite coming to OZ as an asylum seeker) are not supportive of the BH majority's cause.

Yes I am being smart aleky. Just trying to highlight that scenarios can be narrowly cherry-picked in order to solicit a pre-defined outcome.
    Being that this discussion is about people arriving by boat, why is it unreasonable to ask what one would do in a situation similar to somebody's story of arriving by boat?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course.

I find it amusing when people provide a single anecdote (or even a couple) to support there perception of reality, then assume it must be the case across the board.

Any other scenario or anecdote that contradicts that perception is then ignore, as it is too inconvenient.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

Sharlee32  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Being that this discussion is about people arriving by boat, why is it unreasonable to ask what one would do in a situation similar to somebody's story of arriving by boat?
    ???

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yet this seems to be the only asylum seeker story you're willing to hear.. It seems you are doing some cherry picking of your own...

It amazes me at your interest in this issue and have still not watched one of the most critically acclaimed pieces on this exact issue - go back to where you came from!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-07-2013),Kirst33  (24-07-2013),lambjam  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    They do not all come from the same position of danger and persecution. One has to prove that they should be classified as a refugee, you don't just tick a box and say you are from Afghanistan and you're in. Just being in Afghan is not grounds for seeking asylum.
    So no, they are not all the same. Those that have the ability as you put it, 'beg, borrow, streak or sell' had time and options. Those they have just gone with nothing probably didn't have options. I would rather help the ones without a cent to their name because they have lost everything.
    Huh? Where did I say anything about being afghan?? Where did I say they all came from the exact same position? I asked a question in an effort to understand your position. Not that hard. Why does having the time to prepare make you less deserving? Also those who have lost everything and don't have time to pack etc- you realise it's unlikely they'd have papers, right? By your posts so far you'd make it exceedingly difficult to settle any refugees here- must not have had time to pack anything at all, must not have any money yet must have a passport?
    Last edited by Atropos; 24-07-2013 at 20:31.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (24-07-2013),Kirst33  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you seen it Father? Michael Smith is in series 2. I haven't watched series 2 yet but I'm now very intrigued after the link you posted to his blog the other day.

http://www.sbs.com.au/goback/about