+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 80 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I cannot believe anyone would think that Pakistan is any better than Afghanistan. This from a few weeks ago.

"Two teenage girls have been shot dead in an apparent honour killing in Pakistan after a video was circulated showing them dancing in the rain.
    The girls, aged 15 and 16, are seen running around wearing traditional dress, covered in green and purple headscarves, outside their stone bungalow in the town of Chilas, in the far north of the country.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/teen-sis...#ixzz2Zwsgljnc

Then there's that nice statistic that I found recently that stated approximately 80% of women in prison in Pakistan are in prison for being raped. Not raped whilst in prison, not raping someone, they are in prison for being raped.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-07-2013),beebs  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I've heard that too Bec. Pakistan is certainly not a safe place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My friend just put this in his status on facebook. Very true and made me laugh - though it probably shouldn't have

"Sending people you don't want to a country far away, with no regard for the preexisting locals who live there. Now where have we heard that before?..."

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-07-2013),Busy-Bee  (24-07-2013),JungleMum  (24-07-2013),Kirst33  (24-07-2013),VicPark  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I find this odd, I have never been to Pakistan or Afghanistan - but I know they are both extremely dangerous places. I don't need to have been there to know that. I just need to read things. And I do.
    Should we move the entire population of both countries, and PNG too, to Australia. It seems that no one can live anywhere! How do the population in those countries survive? Are they all to be considered refugees if it is safe for no-one?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Should we move the entire population of both countries, and PNG too, to Australia. It seems that no one can live anywhere! How do the population in those countries survive? Are they all to be considered refugees if it is safe for no-one?
    Australia has granted refugee status to people from PNG...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-07-2013),beebs  (24-07-2013),Mod-pegasus  (25-07-2013)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm having difficult keeping up with the thread, so bear with me.

I have lived in Indonesia temporarily and have travelled to both Malaysia and PNG. I can assure you, they are NOT countries that I would wish to reside in on a long term basis, as a woman, as a mother with children, and as a human being. This solution is absurd and deplorable. The idea that every refugee should arrive by plane with their documents in hand is not only nonsensical, but incredibly naive.

In all seriousness, these countries all pose serious issues for its residents in terms of basic human rights. You are in the army, Father, are you not? Surely you have travelled overseas and can appreciate how safe and 'lucky' we are here in Australia? If humans from these countries feel that their wellbeing and lives are at risk, then YES, they should seek asylum elsewhere. I don't see the issue with that.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

babyla  (24-07-2013),beebs  (24-07-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (24-07-2013),Kirst33  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I can see what you are saying Father, of course Australia cannot house all of the worlds refugees. But what you seem to be forgetting is that the worlds entire population aren't applying for refugee status here, and in terms of head per capita we don't even grant that many refugee visas compared with other countries. I honestly think you are blowing our amount of refugee applications way out of proportion.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (24-07-2013),Kirst33  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Australia has granted refugee status to people from PNG...
    I didn't say that we haven't. I asked if we should take the entire population.
    If someone if fleeing persecution in Iran, you cannot assume that they will be unable to live free from persecution in a country such as PNG. Plenty of other people in PNG manage to live there.
    I find the notion that refugees cannot be settled anywhere other than first world countries a bit narrow minded. One could argue that Australia is dangerous too when you read stories of child abuse and drive by shootings. I don't think the utopia that you dream of exists.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (24-07-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    No one is suggesting we move the entire populations of any country but from what I have read about these countries (and other similar places) any woman or child would probably want to flee. There may be some wealthier areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan but the vast majority of women and children live a soul destroying existence. Boys would be slightly better off than girls but their life they have is bleak. Women, well girls are married off young to strangers often considerably older than they are, they have a life of servitude, cannot go outside without the chaperone of a relative, no education, no health care, every day is about getting enough to eat for you and your children, putting up with the other wives of your husband, your in laws dictating every aspect of your life, being publicly flogged or imprisoned if you're raped, the local sports ground used for public executions on the weekends, the all important family honour based on the daughter's virginity, no running water, no electricity, no heating in the freezing heat, if your husband or father dies forced to beg and risk being punished for being outside without a chaperone, perpetual pregnancies... Would you want that for your child?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can I ask you a question, in all seriousness Father. Why would you prefer to see people resettled in PNG rather than here? What difference does it make to you? How will it impact/not impact your life? And have you thought, that a nation where 50% of people a day earn less that 2 dollars a day may have a problem with taking in even more people, when half of them are in dire poverty? And they do have a problem with it - there are protests happening all over. Or does none of that concern you?