+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 80 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Those that flew into Indonesia did have passports. Who were they to fear once on the boat that would drive them to destroy them? If I was seeking asylum, I would ensure that I have as much evidence as possible to support my claim.

You seem to think that there aren't any economic migrants arriving on boats in contrast to Mr Carr.
    Again, an excerpt from Najeeba's story:

'Najeeba was 12 when her family was smuggled out of Afghanistan and flown into Indonesia on FAKE passports..'

Regarding Carr and economic asylum: no one is disputing that SOME are seeking economic asylum BUT 90% of people arriving by boat are found to be genuine refugees in past years. Considering he hasn't heard many claims since processing has only JUST begun again after an 11 month hiatus, I don't not trust his comments for this issue for the past year, because he simply does not know that, he hasn't heard their claims.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-07-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Are you kidding? It's not safe in Pakistan. The same tribal conflicts and warlords that operate in Afghanistan operate in Pakistan. Pakistan is one of the most dangerous countries on Earth. That fact that you are not aware of this indicates your lack of understanding at the most basic levels on what life is like in these countries. I do not profess to be an expert by any means but I know that the vast majority of those that flee from Afganistan to Pakistan are in no position to relax and get cosy. I'd take a stab and say the benefit of being in Pakistan is that firstly, it's not Afganistan and secondly, it's a lot easier to get out of Pakistan to a safer country than it is to go straight from Afganistan.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-07-2013),beebs  (24-07-2013),Kirst33  (24-07-2013),Witwicky  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Uuuhhmm. Yes you did.

Off to pick the kids up from school.
    No. I said he said a 'majority' of all asylum seekers were economic asylum seekers, there's a difference to that and claiming I said he said 'all asylum seekers are economic asylum seekers.'

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So father, if you were able to escape Afghanistan, would you spend years raising your children in a refugee camp in Pakistan or would you do what you could to get them to someplace like Australia? Would YOU be happy being sent to PNG and raising your kids there? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 24-07-2013 at 16:40.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-07-2013),beebs  (24-07-2013),Witwicky  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And how is reading about people's real life experiences on this issue not valid? If 90% of boat arrivals are found to be genuine then their stories will be more similar to her's (I'm not saying the same) than somebody just hopping on a boat for sh*ts and giggles and a 'first world lifestyle.'

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-07-2013)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Absolutely right Bec. Hazaras are being murdered in Pakistan, with the violence escalating this year.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-07-2013),Busy-Bee  (24-07-2013),Witwicky  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If PNG is not suitable for them, I would have to question exactly what they are fleeing from. If PNG is not suitable for any of them, then should we evacuate the current citizens of PNG and move the entire country here?
    You haven't looked into the conditions in PNG much have you? My BIL does contract work over there occasionally. Very often they have their trips cancelled due to local violence. The security that they have to have while over there is ridiculous, they are constantly guarded by armed officers. One of the official saftey regulations of his employer is that if you hit a pedestrian while driving you must keep going - it is too unsafe to stop or get out of your car. His company recently made the decision that they would no longer send any female staff to PNG for work, as it is too dangerous there for foreign women. This is not a safe place.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (24-07-2013),beebs  (24-07-2013),Kirst33  (24-07-2013),Witwicky  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And are all Iranian refugees escaping Iran with genuine passports?
    No.

I will add that use of false passports is not relegated to one nationality either.

I don't have a problem with the above or country shopping for that matter. I also don't have a problem with researching possible alternatives to this new policy or any other options that might surface during open discourse.

But I do have a problem with rudeness. A number of you are being outrageously rude and hypocritical in that you are quick to accuse what appears to be the chosen few in here of being inaccurate when there are holes as big as Lake Burley Griffin in your posts.

If you have not worked at DIMIA, don't comment on their procedures because you simply don't know what they are. You only think you do.

If you have not lived or visited Malaysia or Indonesia, don't tell us how bad things are over there.

If you have not travelled by boat, don't assume such knowledge. Again, unless you process claims or were on the ship or patrol boat intercepting the vessel, you simply don't know who's on it.

If you don't fully understand the term racism, then don't use the term. It's annoying.

If you have something positive to add to the thread whether it be a personal story, what led you to study a topic such as this one, what you plan to do with it, suggestions as to where Rudd might go if this new policy is sunk (and I have a feeling it will be), what you would do in a Utopian world, etc. then let's hear it.

AnaGram wrote: The study done by Pedersen, Watt and Hanser, 'The Role of False Beliefs in the Community's and the Federal Government's Attitudes toward Australian Asylum Seekers' discusses the issue of politicians knowingly making false statements to the public about refugees and asylum seekers.

If you can get a hold of it, it's worth the read.
    If you're at uni and you have access to the library databases, you can find it there. Australian Journal of Social Issues I think it is.

Pedersen has also co-written a similar work covering the attitudes meted out to Indigenous, Asian, Yugoslav, Italian and Arabic Australians by main****** Australia which puts paid to the oft bandied suggestion that multiculturalism is working well.

Apparently, as a nation we suck at it.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post

If you're at uni and you have access to the library databases, you can find it there. Australian Journal of Social Issues I think it is.

Pedersen has also co-written a similar work covering the attitudes meted out to Indigenous, Asian, Yugoslav, Italian and Arabic Australians by main****** Australia which puts paid to the oft bandied suggestion that multiculturalism is working well.

Apparently, as a nation we suck at it.
    Yes, I have access to it and have read it. But I can't give out the copy I have due to copyright reasons, so others will have to find the study another way unfortunately.

I only have access to these journals for a few more weeks but I would love to read some of her other work. Hopefully, I can get a chance in the next few weeks.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    'Empathy is the capacity to recognize emotions that are being experienced by another sentient or fictional being.'

I think many of us our basing our view on the subject on the above and what we read. This is a parenting forum, where every day people are debating a current affairs topic.

Caviar, do you have experience with all you listed above? I doubt you traveled to Australia in a boat but you are still expressing an opinion on the matter. If you have a problem with a post then report it and let a moderator deal with it.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 24-07-2013 at 15:58.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-07-2013),giggle berry  (24-07-2013)