+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 80 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 791
  1. #361
    Ana Gram's Avatar
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    18,597
    Thanks
    1,028
    Thanked
    3,125
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Is your degree related to the thread? (Genuine question).
    I have studied this topic in various subjects as part of my degree.

  2. #362
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I asked her would she get on a boat to escape if it was her only option and she said without a doubt, because they alternative was certain death. .
    If you ask a question like that - I would expect that you would receive that answer.
    Another useful question would be - 'what other options were there?'

    Your story was a good one. A refugee who came to Australia by plane with the appropriate paperwork. That is how the system is supposed to work, and I would welcome that family with open arms.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (24-07-2013)

  4. #363
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Not all asylum seekers are hardened criminals.
    Who has ever said that they are?
    Not all asylum seekers are genuine either. That seems to get ignored.

  5. #364
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I agree. On the other hand someone's interpretation and selection of the facts ...can be tainted by their opinions and feelings.
    I would say that everybody's experiences and social discourse impacs on their view of the world. For example nearly 10 years ago my views on this issue were very different. You mentioned earlier about people budging on their views, over the past 10 years I have definitely budged, not because I've been selective of my sources of information but because I stopped being selective. My job pushed m into wider reading and finding out from various experiences. I had direct contact
    with an asylum seeker family today which you might say has tainted my view, I say opened my eyes.
    Last edited by babyla; 23-07-2013 at 22:48. Reason: Spelling

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

    Kirst33  (23-07-2013),Witwicky  (24-07-2013)

  7. #365
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked
    1,022
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post

    Your story was a good one. A refugee who came to Australia by plane with the appropriate paperwork. That is how the system is supposed to work...
    If only it was all so easy and black and white.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

    Busy-Bee  (24-07-2013),Clementine Grace  (23-07-2013),Witwicky  (24-07-2013)

  9. #366
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Double post phone being weird
    Last edited by babyla; 23-07-2013 at 22:47.

  10. #367
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,431
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked
    2,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    If you ask a question like that - I would expect that you would receive that answer.
    Another useful question would be - 'what other options were there?'

    Your story was a good one. A refugee who came to Australia by plane with the appropriate paperwork. That is how the system is supposed to work, and I would welcome that family with open arms.
    You've totally missed my point. That was one story, there are a million others that we will never know. I don't deny this is a complex issue and there needs to be a solution to stop people dying at sea but the world is not that simple.

    The "system" is not black and white.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (24-07-2013),Kirst33  (23-07-2013),Witwicky  (24-07-2013)

  12. #368
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Coburg
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked
    105
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    You seem to be putting words in my mouth. Where I have mentioned anything about muslims, sharia law and terrorism? You are throwing out a racist tag without there being anything in my comments even hinting at racism.
    Naive of you to assume that this is the first BH thread you have posted in that I have read, Father

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to orlyon For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (24-07-2013),beebs  (24-07-2013),Clementine Grace  (23-07-2013),Kirst33  (23-07-2013)

  14. #369
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    You've totally missed my point.
    Did I? Sorry. What was it?

  15. #370
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orlyon View Post
    Naive of you to assume that this is the first BH thread you have posted in that I have read, Father
    Not naive at all. What race have I been 'racist' about? I am happy for you to quote anything from any thread to prove your point. I hope you spend the time to find one. It would be appreciated if you could withdraw that accusation if you cannot.
    That label gets used way too often in an attempt to silence debate. Very disappointing.


 

Similar Threads

  1. 4 corners - asylum seekers...
    By babyla in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 30-04-2013, 09:47
  2. Asylum seekers (frustration)
    By Witwicky in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 19-08-2012, 14:38
  3. Zoo weekly exploiting asylum seekers. Sign the petition!
    By Ffrenchknickers in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 23-07-2012, 15:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Softmats
With so many amazing reversible designs, the soft and cushioned Premium Bubba Mats are the perfect space for all the family. Not only do they look fantastic; you can also enjoy the quality and comfort for years to come.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Impressionable Kids
Impressionable Kids are Australia's leader in framed children's memorabilia and specialise in framed baby hand and feet sculptures. With franchise locations throughout Australia you can be assured you will receive a quality handmade product with a lifetime warranty on all frames.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!