+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I actually think more should be done to help the UNHCR with processing. The camps are horrendous but there are also not enough places to house asylum seekers waiting to be processed. And the camps aren't always easy to get to.
    I agree. Hopefully when the PNG solution stops the boats and saves a bucket load of money.. Those resources will then be pushed into helping out asylum seekers who take the UNHCR route.

Actually if Rudd tied budget savings from declining boat numbers to UNHCR support I would vote labour. Even though I personally don't like him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    You do realise you just posted a fairly singled out condescending comment and then immediately after told somebody off for their comment to somebody else? Pot meet kettle.
    What condescending comment?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    What condescending comment?
    Yes, everyone read your comment to me as genuinely curious and not accusing me of claiming to be an expert.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Yes, everyone read your comment to me as genuinely curious and not accusing me of claiming to be an expert.
    Sorry didnt mean to single you out. Yours was the post was the first post I clicked on and responded to after coming to the realisation that this thread is full of a lot of people crapping on posting links and quotes and stats... (Yes myself included). I was curious as to the level of experience and expertise of the posters: are we all armchair warriors?

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I agree. Hopefully when the PNG solution stops the boats and saves a bucket load of money.. Those resources will then be pushed into helping out asylum seekers who take the UNHCR route.
    Rudd said it would end up being 'budget neutral' when he first announced it. Even though it isn't costed, I think the idea was that the cost of housing asylum seekers in detention would end up being the cost of foreign aid to PNG. So no savings to be had but no massive ongoing cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orlyon View Post
    Rudd and other polititians are pandering to anti muslim sentiment. So arabs, hazara and any other race/ethnicity likely to be muslim. People like you Father freaking out about things like sharia law and domestic terrorism.

Asylum seekers are being scapegoated by those desperate to win votes and people like you are just lapping it up.
    You seem to be putting words in my mouth. Where I have mentioned anything about muslims, sharia law and terrorism? You are throwing out a racist tag without there being anything in my comments even hinting at racism.

I'll ask again, what race am I being racist against? Could you provide a quote of mine that you deem racist?
    Did you learn that type of accusation during your years of study?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (24-07-2013),VicPark  (23-07-2013)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I guess if really depends on what you consider an armchair warrior, VP. I'd actually be quite offended if someone reduced the degree I have spent the last 3.5 years of my life on as being an armchair warrior.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by orlyon View Post
    Someone's experiences or feelings are not facts, they are just opinions.
    I agree. On the other hand someone's interpretation and selection of the facts ...can be tainted by their opinions and feelings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I guess if really depends on what you consider an armchair warrior, VP. I'd actually be quite offended if someone reduced the degree I have spent the last 3.5 years of my life on as being an armchair warrior.
    Armchair warrior: Someone without any real experience in a topic sprouting their views online, with no intention of following it up with any tangible action in the real world.

Is your degree related to the thread? (Genuine question).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I would not call it an assumption when there have been 6000 Iranians fly to Indonesia in the last 4 months.
    Coincidentally, there have also been more than 5000 Iranian 'asylum seekers' arrive in Australia this year.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226681978119
    Whilst not all of the 6000 can be assumed 'asylum seekers', a great deal of that number would be. Now, if they flew into Indonesia - they had a passport. They could have flown anywhere as I explained in my previous post.

Indonesia is now stopping Iranian visa-on-arrivals to try to stop them using the country as a transit point for Australia.
    http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...-iranians.html

So no, I am not 'willfully ignorant', nor an expert troll. It is

So far, the only response to my scenario is that they 'would not have a passport'. This is not the case in the majority of situations. Both the Australian government and Indonesian government says as much.

In the scenario I gave, did he have 'good cause' to fly to Indonesia to board an expensive and dangerous boat?
    Out of interest, do you know any Iranian refugee's? My mother has a friend who came to Australia 5 years ago. Her husband was a doctor and was shot for treating "undesirable people" at his practice, her two brothers we're also killed. She fled with her three children because she knew they would kill her too and feared what would happen to her children. Luckily she managed to find asylum in Australia. Yes she came by plane with the appropriate paper work but i've talked to her many times and she herself has said that there are so many people who are not educated past primary school and they will literally do anything to get their children out of danger. Her husband was treating people for free, she is a wonderful person who volunteer's with the disabled for many hours a week. I asked her would she get on a boat to escape if it was her only option and she said without a doubt, because they alternative was certain death.

Not all asylum seekers are hardened criminals. Since having my son it makes me realise even more that if i was in a desperate situation i'd do anything to get him out of there.

So many people have such a hardened view on this without having ever met a refugee or having ever heard their story. In Australia we are free, educated, have health care and are not under daily threat for our lives in a war zone. It's easy to think we have all the answers to a very complicated problem from our warm lounge room with a belly full of food.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (23-07-2013),Kirst33  (23-07-2013)