+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 80 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    You can still fly into Australia without a visa. People do it all the time, they are just stopped at customs.

I actually think more should be done to help the UNHCR with processing. The camps are horrendous but there are also not enough places to house asylum seekers waiting to be processed. And the camps aren't always easy to get to.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rudd and other polititians are pandering to anti muslim sentiment. So arabs, hazara and any other race/ethnicity likely to be muslim. People like you Father freaking out about things like sharia law and domestic terrorism.

Asylum seekers are being scapegoated by those desperate to win votes and people like you are just lapping it up.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orlyon For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-07-2013),Meg2  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by orlyon View Post
    Father,

You're assuming that an iranian asylum seeker would have access to a passport. Unlikely, such a government would be unlikely to issue a passport to someone they are persecuting. You need a passport to access international flights.

If a refugee from another state is currently in Iran (and there were afghan refugees there until Iran expelled them recently) then they would also be highly unlikely to access an international flight.

Finally, it is not illegal to board and boat in Indonesia and head for Australia. It is not illegal to travel to a state and seek asylum. If you swim, fly, sail or surf. It is not illegal.

Your posts leave me wondering if you're an expert troll or just willfully ignorant. Folks are entitled to their opinion but posting easily debunked fairy stories is not opinion. It's just lies.
    That's a bit rude. One could also shoot holes in your post. Can't be bothered though. The BH majority always think they are right regardless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Not sure Father, I'm not them. I've never been disadvantaged or feared for my life so I don't know how far they are willing to go for themselves and how quickly they need to.
    Considering your lack of experience at you are quick to present as an expert. Do you have other experience that we are unaware of?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Considering your lack of experience at you are quick to present as an expert. Do you have other experience that we are unaware of?
    Oh give me a break VP. I haven't claimed to be an expert. I've participated in a debate and posted valid links of why I have a particular stance in the debate.

Do you have anything to add to the asylum seeker debate or do you just want to stir the pot?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (23-07-2013),Atropos  (23-07-2013),Luna Lovegood  (23-07-2013),Meg2  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by orlyon View Post

Father, as someone who has studied these issues in depth for over 3 years now, I can confidently say that what you don't know about this is a whole lot. Your distorted factoids seem to be just a cover for racism.
    I don't agree with father on everything (circumcision from memory) but this is getting bloody ridiculous. There are a whole heap of reasons that could be behind Father and you disagreeing that don't involve Father not knowing a lot or being racist. Father and you could have different experiences, different struggles, ... You could be looking at things from a different view. For example I tend to acknowledge the heart (I feel for asylum seekers) but defer to the brain for a final assessment that takes into account in long term economic viability and sustainment. Perhaps because I'm a cautious realist because of my upbringing.

I cant stop stop the BH majority from exerting their hoighty toighty I am always right attitude ... but enough of the harassment of father. It's getting beyond ridiculous.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Someone's experiences or feelings are not facts, they are just opinions.

While I don't care if he or anyone else wants to express a different opinion, I do take issue with his assertion of so called facts that are not based on reality.

Its just recycling the same old disinformation that has pushed public opinion and in turn pushed our politicians onto this path.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orlyon For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (23-07-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (23-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Oh give me a break VP. I haven't claimed to be an expert. I've participated in a debate and posted valid links of why I have a particular stance in the debate.

Do you have anything to add to the asylum seeker debate or do you just want to stir the pot?
    I just wanted to confirm that those without personal experience could post their views in this thread. And still potentially be considered correct.
    - Father: you and I are right to continue to participate.

Actually I actually am interested in everyone's experience levels, not just yours. Might be interesting to see if theres a connection between peoples experiences and their views. That might derail the thread though. So if that counts as stirring the pot then yes you're correct.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You do realise you just posted a fairly singled out condescending comment and then immediately after told somebody off for their comment to somebody else? Pot meet kettle.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-07-2013),babyla  (23-07-2013),Luna Lovegood  (23-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I just wanted to confirm that those without personal experience could post their views in this thread. And still potentially be considered correct.
    - Father: you and I are right to continue to participate.

Actually I actually am interested in everyone's experience levels, not just yours. Might be interesting to see if theres a connection between peoples experiences and their views. That might derail the thread though. So if that counts as stirring the pot then yes you're correct.
    VP, father and I have been participating in this debate all day, I'm fairly certain pretty respectfully. You just entered guns blazing, why? Because I continue to debate him?