+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Vp - seriously, people tell you to watch and read things all the time - and it just seems to go in one ear and out the other. I don't expect you to read and watch stuff if you don't want to - but then why keep engaging in the topics - this post just shows how little you know about the entire situation. Refugees are considered illegal in Malaysia and Indonesia - they are often on the run from the authorities on the streets etc and if they get arrested some will never be seen again. Seriously -these are not places that hold human rights in any esteem.

But let me guess, they escaped on country, so another country that doesn't value them as people should be good enough - right?
    Just to clarify. There is no rule book saying your view on this is the correct view. And there's no rule book saying unless someone reads everything you recommend, and then backflip to have the exact same views as you, that they are not paying attention, aren't informed or don't have a right to their views.

There are three sides to every situation and I'm a cautious person. I don't just take the word of bleeding hearts who have never been in the situations they are taking about just because they claim to be on the high and mighty side of a debate.

I hereby announce I have no more desire to read/watch any links recommended by any of the bleeding hearts on this thread. I will get my information from the newspapers and TV in my own time. At least they won't nag me.

And yes I still think the PNG decision is a bad one but Im still deciding if the long term benefits (stopping the boats and people dying) are worth the short term costs (short term people sent to PNG) .

And guess what? I don't yet know how I'll vote. I may even vote Labor who knows. Perhaps I'll get banned from Bub Hub for admitting that!
    Last edited by VicPark; 21-07-2013 at 22:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do worry about what will happen to PNG if Rudd decides to back away from this or Abbot just says "Nope, not gonna do it!". There goes boosting the PNG economy. Or if they pull out half way through and the workers dont get paid until completion of work.

Thats a lot of family affected by this who arent Australian or asylum seekers.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I really wish you would stop using the term 'bleeding hearts'.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (21-07-2013),beebs  (21-07-2013),Busy-Bee  (22-07-2013),HollyGolightly81  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I do worry about what will happen to PNG if Rudd decides to back away from this or Abbot just says "Nope, not gonna do it!". There goes boosting the PNG economy. Or if they pull out half way through and the workers dont get paid until completion of work.

Thats a lot of family affected by this who arent Australian or asylum seekers.

Unlikely that it will be an issue of workers not being paid, if you meant PNG workers. Australian foreign aid is usually tied aid or often termed boomerang aid. This means that aid is only given with conditions such as only using Australian workers or companies or products.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Meg2  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did I misunderstand the news article where the PM of PNG was saying he was going to try and ensure local businesses profit from the boost to the economy from signing this thing with Rudd??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Did I misunderstand the news article where the PM of PNG was saying he was going to try and ensure local businesses profit from the boost to the economy from signing this thing with Rudd??

No, not entirely

here is what was said: He also vowed to ensure local benefits to local contractors and small businesses were maximised.

The key word here is maximised. Australia takes a significant proportion of contracts but some are available to the recipient country. But that is a small percentage.

I knew a little about the reality of foreign aid but I am current doing my final uni unit which is specifically about Australian foreign policy, including foreign aid. It's been an eye opener.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Because they're so safe in those countries???
    Moreso than in their homelands.

I'm not going to listen to whining and moaning about Indonesia and Malaysia from people who have never been there and are reading scripts of some bleeding heart sponsored web site.

(Not saying you fit into this category, just saying I have no interest in reading the propoganda that will no doubt be recommended to me).

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Father  (21-07-2013),Liddybugs  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah, thank you. However, my worries still stand to some degree. Unless theres no way to reneg on this contract Rudd has signed I don't trust him to not screw even a small portion of businesses in PNG over by taking that funding away, even if the percentage is low.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I have been to Indonesia, so I guess that qualifies me with some expertise.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-07-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing