+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 80 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry I must not have explained myself properly, I'm not saying I begrudge the situation as it is now. But the small numbers coming in may be as a result of the hard stance we have now? Which allot of PPs have stated is not right or fair as it is - not even taking into account Rudds new policy.

A few have said along the lines of 'open the borders, let anyone claiming asylum in no questions asked' at the moment I think it was established 10% are not genuine asylum seekers - how many do you think that would turn into if the process becomes simple and question free.

I guess I'm saying I don't believe in making it easy and question free for the reasons I highlighted earlier but i genuinely want to see the genuine refugees helped. so what is the answer?

I don't think I agree with Rudds policy and I think it is more about re-election than genuine concern over boat asylum seekers safety but I really would like to hear some ideas from a politician that actually shows compassion but also considers the economic impact. Maybe it doesn't exist??? In not sure.

Whoever said Lebanon takes in more refugees, I have been to Lebanon and I dont think their standard of living (and that refugees would ultimately be exposed to) is really something we want to aspire to. Though I do get the sentiment of people with little showing more compassion than us.

And I don't think all asylum seekers are dole bludgers, maybe I have been a bit put off by a news report I saw about refugees granted asylum and two years later no one in the family knew a scrap of English. How have they been supporting their family for over two years? The report stated they hoped To 'one day' learn English - so they hadn't even begun. Realistically how many teaching or doctor jobs could they get with no English skills in Australia? Maybe this is what has me questioning the economic sustainability of any asylum policy?

Would anyone who would like to take in more refugees object to maybe more clauses in refugee status. Say for example free English lessons however a certain level of English must be met by a certain amount of time? Or a work for the dole sort-of-thing where they can learn new skills?

Do you think tax payers may become more empathetic or consider asylum seekers less of a burden if this happens? This is a genuine question by the way.

Thanks for not jumping down my throat BTW - it's annoying having genuine questions but being afraid of being labelled if I ask them.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2013),Blossompossumxxxx  (20-07-2013),Kellbell85  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tootsiegirl View Post
    I really like your questions and I have wondered the same things. I think there is a much bigger picture to consider before I get too set on one side is right etc. Im so undecided on the whole thing! My optimistic side hopes that the money we are paying to PNG (which I have been horrified to learn is the way it is) stimulates the economy, and in that sense perhaps the current residents will be pleased about this decision AND wouldn't it be amazing for the refugees to be part of the reason PNG becomes a better place for all. There are so, so many different parts of this huge problem to consider and there is clearly no easy solution...
    Exactly is there a chance we are killing two birds with one stone? I certainly don't agree with dumping them in PNG to fend for themselves but if it can economically boost PNG and at the same time give asylum seekers a new start... Hmmm not sure.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Meld85 - I don't think it's unreasonable to expect asylum seekers (or any immigrants from non-western, non-English speaking countries) to attend basic language classes and undergo some kind of course/training/whatever that will assist them to live as a productive citizens with a reasonable level of integration. I hasten to add that I have no idea what resources are currently available to new immigrants.

As for KRudd's PNG policy, I dislike it because:
    - it will give Australian revenue to corrupt PNG - thus funding ongoing corruption.
    - it will not stop people smugglers as it is being marketed
    - it contravenes Australia's pledge to take a percentage of asylum seekers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With this policy as it stands I'm wondering about unaccompanied children and those which may have family residing in Australia?

I just want to clarify that asylum seekers are not dole bludgers, they do not receive any assistance from Centrelink. Community based asylum seekers are not even close to the draining money from our government especially when compared to costs of locking them up on Manus and Nauru or shipping them to PNG.

Here is a link regarding payments they receive from ASAS (Asylum Seeker Assistance Scheme) as well as what they are entitled to when based in the community.

http://www.asrc.org.au/media/documen...um-seekers.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    The problem is that there are no easy answers to this issue. So long as there is tribalism, religion, mass poverty, highly unequal resource/power distribution, lack of education etc in the world then there will be asylum seekers. We can only hope to tackle the fallout of such issues (ie, asylum seekers). Until we have a new world order that addresses the above issue to a major extent then we will have asylum seekers.
    What is a new world order?

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    With this policy as it stands I'm wondering about unaccompanied children and those which may have family residing in Australia?
    From the documentation:

'It will not make a difference if unaccompanied minor has family in Australia. Everyone who arrives after the announcement will be transferred once health checks are complete and appropriate accommodation is available.'

http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/humanit...boatnovisa.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    From the documentation:

'It will not make a difference if unaccompanied minor has family in Australia. Everyone who arrives after the announcement will be transferred once health checks are complete and appropriate accommodation is available.'

http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/humanit...boatnovisa.pdf
    Hardly legal. And definitely not right!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2013),Blossompossumxxxx  (20-07-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    What is a new world order?
    It can mean different things to different people but I'm using the term to mean a one-world government that addresses the vast differences in resource & power distribution, tribalism, religious conflicts etc. Obviously it's not going to happen any time soon (unless you believe in conspiracy theories).

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    It can mean different things to different people but I'm using the term to mean a one-world government that addresses the vast differences in resource & power distribution, tribalism, religious conflicts etc. Obviously it's not going to happen any time soon (unless you believe in conspiracy theories).
    I guess it depends on your belief system but I'm a Christian and we believe this is definately going to happen. I was just interested to hear your take on it.