+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 80 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Pay off another country to take them.
    How much money realistically do we have for this though? It really does scare me.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    Issuing warnings to others against communicating with other members is not helpful. Open, educated and respectful discourse is key.
    I disagree. There are some members who continually boil people's blood on some topics. And no matter how much you talk to them, it doesn't get any better. I personally feel that it is better to walk away in these instances. If you know that it is just going to degenerate into a horrible things for everyone, don't start it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2013),Busy-Bee  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Then by all means you walk away and allow people to make up their own minds as to what their best course of action should be. Issuing warnings for other to do the same is not helpful to this discussion or to the forum. Open, educated and respectful discourse is always key. Subversive behaviour only lands us where we are at now: in a quagmire of falsehoods, mythology and fear. Sunnyflower, a good question. Beebs raised a similar sentiment. Again, it boils down to education. Get out and read what's online, in the papers, approach organisations that assist refugees, etc so that you are able to formulate an opinion that is well informed. Perhaps then your fear will abate. I always find that increased knowledge about a subject tends to lessen the fear associated with it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't understand the general populations position on this.
    They believe (incorrectly) that seeking asylum through any means is an illegal act.
    And they don't understand what Kevin Rudd has just done is an ACTUAL illegal act. On behalf of them.

Even if you don't agree with Australia taking on asylum seekers for whatever reason, I don't understand how you can agree with the head of our country performing an illegal act on your behalf.

I'm going to go sit in my corner and be confused.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (20-07-2013),moongazer  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Again, I completely disagree with you. I am only giving advice that helped me to people who have already expressed a desire to do the same. Hardly subversive behaviour.

I agree that respectful and educated discourse is the key, but it isn't always possible. Once it degenerates, it does absolutely nothing to help the cause you are arguing for. Personally, I think choosing to continue to argue at that point is silly.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (20-07-2013),beebs  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are people on this forum that are much more educated on this topic than I am so I'll leave the discussions mainly to you guys.

I just want to say how incredibly sad I felt when I heard Rudd's plan. I don't even know exactly why I felt like that. I just think the idea of people escaping traumatic and life threatening lives, arriving here only to be sent to PNG is wrong. How will they be treated there? Once in the community, will they be able to work or will they be completely ostracised (sp?)?

It's also like Australia is saying we're too good to take you, but here go to our neighboring country who we clearly see as being lesser than us.

Most of all it's devastating that this is an election topic. Of all the things happening in the country and world, economically, environmentally, politically, the fact that a relatively small number of desperate people come here by boat really isn't a huge deal.

How about plans to get manufacturing going again in Australia? Why aren't we hearing about other policies?? The media have a lot to answer for I think

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peasmum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2013),Caviar  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is at this point you report to a moderator, not become one. The reason I am taking this point to task is that far too often I see people who feel that they know what's best for the forum and attempt to shut down communication by isolating forum members and polluting a chance to enlighten, engage and convey. Again, it's not helpful so please stop it We are adults and capable of making up our own minds and that includes standing up to those who feel they are entitled to make decisions on our behalf.
    I don't understand the general populations position on this.
    They believe (incorrectly) that seeking asylum through any means is an illegal act.
    And they don't understand what Kevin Rudd has just done is an ACTUAL illegal act. On behalf of them.

Even if you don't agree with Australia taking on asylum seekers for whatever reason, I don't understand how you can agree with the head of our country performing an illegal act on your behalf.

I'm going to go sit in my corner and be confused.
    I think I'll join you, J!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    It is at this point you report to a moderator, not become one. The reason I am taking this point to task is that far too often I see people who feel that they know what's best for the forum and attempt to shut down communication by isolating forum members and polluting a chance to enlighten, engage and convey. Again, it's not helpful so please stop it We are adults and capable of making up our own minds and that includes standing up to those who feel they are entitled to make decisions on our behalf.
    No

I am finding it a little amusing that you are telling me not to post about advising someone else not to post.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (20-07-2013),Boobycino  (20-07-2013),Busy-Bee  (20-07-2013),JustUs3  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also Caviar, at no point did I say that people should isolate members. I said just do not engage with members on topics that you cannot have a civil conversation with them with based on your past encounters with them.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (20-07-2013),Busy-Bee  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Noooo, I'm not telling you not to post. Please don't misconstrue what I have written. I'm all for everyone posting. That is my point. All I am asking of you (politely) is to desist from your divisive behaviour and that if you don't like the way this conversation is going then to refrain from continuing to participate in it, that's all
    Last edited by Caviar; 20-07-2013 at 13:01. Reason: word replacement (grammar)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-07-2013)