+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I honestly don't know a lot about the asylum seeker situation so please excuse my ignorance but I have a genuine question. If the refugees can afford 10k to pay people smugglers, why not come to Australia by plane or seaworthy boats? I'm assuming it has something to do with legalities but I'm not 100% sure...
    You would be joining the majority here that don't know lot about the asylum seeker situation either This is a very good question. While some will choose to blame the government, I'm not so sure it's that simple as statistics show that four times as many people who would otherwise arrive by boat do so by plane. A few months ago, SBS' Insight program asked this question and the responses were, to me, quite surprising and out of the box. However, I don't pretend to understand the asylum seeker situation any more than the average Australian does. I feel the government should do much more than it has to educate the public about this issue as well as to inform them properly about what is going on in their community. For example, 470 refugees were released into our local area last week having arrived in Australia a month ago. So while some claims do take years to process, some absolutely do not. I won't even begin to suggest why I think this is so as I'm not ASIO or DIMIA. I just don't know. Again, it would be nice to be educated on the subject by those in the know as opposed to those who think they know. I am, however, aware of our obligations under law and this policy does not appear to address those obligations. It is for this reason why I am reticent to support what's been put on the table as being a fair and humane solution. However, I'm also equally aware of those who are also blind to the very real risk that persons who cannot be identified pose to national security. DIMIA recently underwent reviews which rescinded hundreds of visas when a recent investigative journalism programme uncovered a network of people smugglers IN Australia who had been processed as legitimate refugees so the system is not infallible either. Still, to be fair, it's early days and the Rudd Government has not released its costing or implementation proposals so I'm hoping things will improve from the initial impression I was given yesterday. Two things are very clear and apparent to me, regardless of the outcome: 1) that something definitive needs to be done - too many people dying at sea and too many refugees being left to their own devices once inside Australia as they are not permitted to obtain the means with which to support themselves which is just madness; and 2) if we are going to get anywhere with this issue as a nation we have got to learn to formulate an argument which means dispensing with the personal attacks and backbiting.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Question, why do people continue to engage in conversation with members knowing how that will go? Just ignore him.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2013),Busy-Bee  (20-07-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (23-07-2013),just her chameleon  (20-07-2013),Luna Lovegood  (20-07-2013),risfaerie  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    too many refugees being left to their own devices once inside Australia as they are not permitted to obtain the means with which to support themselves
    I agree with you here. But not just for these people. I feel that even the people who we let in with rights to support themselves are left on their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Question, why do people continue to engage in conversation with members knowing how that will go? Just ignore him.
    Hangs head in shame.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What scares me is that this world is in such a bad place and so many countries are uninhabitable and so many people want to move here. Makes me feel overwhelmed..

What will the government do when PNG reaches capacity?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The reason why some people come by boat instead of flying in or using a legitimate seaworthy boat is for a few reasons.

Sometimes they just don't have access to the documentation required to access these modes of transport. This is not surprising when you consider that many asylum seekers are considered enemies of their government. Meaning they are unlikely to get a passport.

Many do not have access to a visa application process due to Australia and other safe countries simply not issuing visas for residents of certain countries.

The 10k per trip is also a misnomer. People smugglers may be able to get that from some of their passengers. However, in order to fill up their boats the price gets cheaper and eventually they will take you for whatever you have got.

Finally the reason they have this money in the first place is that whole family groups will sell everything they have just to get one person out.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to orlyon For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2013),HollyGolightly81  (20-07-2013),risfaerie  (20-07-2013),Rutabaga  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by risfaerie View Post
    Hangs head in shame.
    Don't worry, I have been there. But you can escape like I did. I know it's hard but you can do it. You will feel amazing, trust me

Quote Originally Posted by orlyon View Post
    The reason why some people come by boat instead of flying in or using a legitimate seaworthy boat is for a few reasons.

Sometimes they just don't have access to the documentation required to access these modes of transport. This is not surprising when you consider that many asylum seekers are considered enemies of their government. Meaning they are unlikely to get a passport.

Many do not have access to a visa application process due to Australia and other safe countries simply not issuing visas for residents of certain countries.

The 10k per trip is also a misnomer. People smugglers may be able to get that from some of their passengers. However, in order to fill up their boats the price gets cheaper and eventually they will take you for whatever you have got.

Finally the reason they have this money in the first place is that whole family groups will sell everything they have just to get one person out.
    Fantastic post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Issuing warnings to others against communicating with other members is not helpful. Open, educated and respectful discourse is key.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Something needs to be done for sure, too many people are dying on those dodgy boats over. But to stop all onshore resettlement for boat people... That is insane. We need to punish people smugglers, not punish asylum seekers - the vast majority of which will be found to be genuine refugees. It is torturous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post

What will the government do when PNG reaches capacity?
    Pay off another country to take them.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (20-07-2013),Elijahs Mum  (20-07-2013)