+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 80 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    They know they will transit through a detention centre. Might take a year or two, but at the moment, the end result is the same = residence and welfare in Australia.
    They do not think they will get off a boat and walk straight into a house in Sydney.
    How do know? Have you spoken to ALL these people?

You're making some big assumptions as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    You're making pretty big assumptions as well Father. Assuming 'they know what they are getting themselves into' and that their mental health is such that you don't understand or can empathize with their anger, frustration, depression, etc when they lash out for being imprisoned for doing nothing illegal!
    \

This discussion is going nowhere. I am going to spend the day with my kids.
    As it stands - I am glad that Rudd has come to his senses and developed a policy that has potential to work. I take my hat off to him.
    At the end of the day, if you don't like it, don't vote for him.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

bluebellknoll  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    \

This discussion is going nowhere. I am going to spend the day with my kids.
    As it stands - I am glad that Rudd has come to his senses and developed a policy that has potential to work. I take my hat off to him.
    At the end of the day, if you don't like it, don't vote for him.
    I can't vote. But still have an opinion on how a country I'm going to raise my children in handles humanitarian issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I honestly don't know a lot about the asylum seeker situation so please excuse my ignorance but I have a genuine question. If the refugees can afford 10k to pay people smugglers, why not come to Australia by plane or seaworthy boats? I'm assuming it has something to do with legalities but I'm not 100% sure...

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Boys Blue For This Useful Post:

bluebellknoll  (20-07-2013),Caviar  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure what tells you that.
    Your assumption is that these people are not intelligent enough to know what is happening around the world. There are newspapers, there is the internet, there are family and friends in Australia. To assume that they will not know or unable to find out is quite belittling to their intelligence.
    I don't think the assumption was that they were of low intelligence. More likely, that they do not have access to unlimited internet and media services that keep them up to date with world current affairs. Not to mention that for many Asylum seekers, they do not have long term access to appropriate education either.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Boys Blue View Post
    I honestly don't know a lot about the asylum seeker situation so please excuse my ignorance but I have a genuine question. If the refugees can afford 10k to pay people smugglers, why not come to Australia by plane or seaworthy boats? I'm assuming it has something to do with legalities but I'm not 100% sure...

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Their government makes it practicality impossible.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (23-07-2013),risfaerie  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by risfaerie View Post
    I don't think the assumption was that they were of low intelligence. More likely, that they do not have access to unlimited internet and media services that keep them up to date with world current affairs. Not to mention that for many Asylum seekers, they do not have long term access to appropriate education either.
    Thank you!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They know they will transit through a detention centre. Might take a year or two, but at the moment, the end result is the same = residence and welfare in Australia.
    They do not think they will get off a boat and walk straight into a house in Sydney.
    How on earth do you know this? I have no idea whether they think this or not. Maybe they do. I have never asked an Asylum seeker what they knew of our processes, housing and welfare schemes. Have you? Genuine question, as you seem pretty certain of your answer.

From reports I have read and documentaries I have seen, the people interviewed had very little in the way of media related resources, and very limited understanding of our system in Australia. They just knew that it was safe.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I feel sorry for kids raised by families that condone violence in order to get your way.
    This thread is about the Rudd policy to send asylum seekers to PNG. Perhaps start another thread if you want to discuss other issues. All this sort of inflammatory commentary is doing providing a red herring to the issue we are discussing.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (20-07-2013),Busy-Bee  (20-07-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (23-07-2013),risfaerie  (20-07-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    A few facts about PNG:
    • Many people live in extreme poverty, with about one-third of the population living on less than US$1.25 per day.
    • The majority of the population still live in traditional societies and practice subsistence-based agriculture.
    • A large proportion of the population is illiterate. Particularly women are affected.
    • Malaria is the leading cause of illness and death in New Guinea.
    • PNG has the highest incidence of HIV and AIDS in the Pacific region and is the fourth country in the Asia Pacific region to fit the criteria for a generalised HIV/AIDS epidemic.
    [source]

According to wikipedia PNG has the second highest rating for perceived corruption. Australia would be paying millions of dollars to PNG to take these asylum seekers, which would be handed to a corrupt government.
    Corruption is rife in Papua New Guinea (PNG).[1] According to The Economist: “PNG’s governments are notorious for corruption, and ever run the risk of turning the state into a fully-fledged kleptocracy
    [source]

Initial research shows that domestic violence and rape seem to be the norm.
    Recent data shows that 50% of PNG’s women have been r-ped in their own homes and 68% of women have been subjected to physical violence.
    [source]

Some report that the literacy rate is less than 50%. [source]

According to the Smart Traveler website, PNG is rated as "exercise a high degree of caution". Other countries with the same rating include Bangladesh; Colombia; Indonesia; Israel, the Gaza strip and the West Bank; Kuwait and Russia.

It advises:

• We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Papua New Guinea because of the high levels of serious crime.
    • Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks.
    • Large crowds and public gatherings should be avoided as they may turn violent.
    • Crime rates are high, particularly in the capital Port Moresby and in Lae, Mt Hagen and other parts of the Highland provinces.
    • Local authorities have advised of a heightened risk of armed robbery and attack at well-attended shopping centres in urban areas, including Port Moresby.
    • Since June 2011, there have been a number of violent incidents in parts of The Highlands, Oro Province, Central and Southern Bougainville, and Lae. You should exercise a high degree of caution when travelling in these areas and monitor local media reporting for information about the security situation.
    • Ethnic disputes continue to flare up around the country. Disputes can quickly escalate into violent clashes. Such clashes not only create danger within the immediate area but also promote a general atmosphere of lawlessness, with an associated increase in opportunistic crime.
    • Car-jacking is an ever-present threat, particularly in Port Moresby and Lae. Car doors should be locked with windows up at all times and caution should be taken when travelling after dark. In the evening or at night, we recommend you travel in a convoy.
    • There has been an increase in reported incidents of sexual assault, including gang rape, and foreigners have been targeted. These crimes are primarily opportunistic and occur without warning. We recommend you monitor your personal security, in both public and private surroundings, and ensure you have appropriate security measures in place.
    • Given the difficult terrain, extreme weather conditions and the condition of some remote airfields in PNG, flying in PNG carries greater safety risks than flying in Australia. On 13 October 2011, an Airlines PNG aircraft crashed near Madang, killing 28 people. Part of the Airlines PNG fleet was grounded on safety concerns but has since been cleared to fly following the implementation of additional safety measures.
    • Cholera is now considered as endemic in PNG. See the Health section for more information.
    [source]

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-07-2013),Atropos  (20-07-2013),beebs  (20-07-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (23-07-2013)