+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 80 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This assumption that this ridiculous and inhumane plan will stop people smugglers is reliant on two other fairly big assumptions:

1) That the people smugglers actually care. That they won't lie to refugees that Australia is a valid safe haven. Last I checked, people smugglers weren't the most honest of people. There was an interview with two Sri Lankan men a few months ago that had sold all their belongings for a ticket to Australia because they were told by people smugglers of all the amazing opportunities for them in Australia and that they'd be welcomed with open arms. Of course they were turned back. Returned home where they had nothing left because they had sold everything for a ticket to nowhere.

2) That refugees will actually know that this policy has been put in place and that they will not be granted access to Australia.

Something tells me that these two big assumptions are way off the mark.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 20-07-2013 at 09:59.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (20-07-2013),Busy-Bee  (20-07-2013),risfaerie  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    This assumption that this ridiculous and inhumane plan will stop people smugglers is reliant on two other fairly big assumptions:

1) That the people smugglers actually care. That they won't lie to refugees that Australia is a valid safe haven. Last I checked, people smugglers weren't the most honest of people. There was an interview with two Sri Lankan men a few months ago that had sold all their belongings for a ticket to Australia because they were told by people smugglers of all the amazing opportunities for them in Australia and that they'd be welcomed with open arms. Of course they were turned back. Returned home where they had nothing left because they had sold everything for a ticket to nowhere.

2) That refugees will actually know and understand that this policy has been put in place and that they will not be granted access to Australia.

Something tells me that these two big assumptions are way off the mark.
    Not sure what tells you that.
    Your assumption is that these people are not intelligent enough to know what is happening around the world. There are newspapers, there is the internet, there are family and friends in Australia. To assume that they will not know or unable to find out is quite belittling to their intelligence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My assumption goes by the people smuggling problem between the US and Mexico, and news stories like the one I gave. I am not doubting anyone's intelligence! I am doubting the resources available to them when many are in refugee camps or leaving all their possessions behind in a hurry to save their lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    If you think this can stay outside of politics, then who do you think can fix the problem? If you expect the government to fix it, then it is political. If you want to solve the humanitarian issue yourself, along with the rest, then pull out your wallets and donate or join/form a non political organisation and go and do something about it.
    Sigh. As I said in so many words, I feel sorry for kids raised by families with so little empathy and compassion for fellow humans.

The fact that parties led by Rudd and Abbott are the ones left to "fix" it is terrifying.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (20-07-2013),Kirst33  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My assumption goes by the people smuggling problem between the US and Mexico, and news stories like the one I gave. I am not doubting anyone's intelligence! I am doubting the resources available to them when many are in refugee camps or leaving all their possessions behind in a hurry to save their lives.
    Prior to Australia they are primarily coming from Indonesia. Not from refugee camps. Internet, newspapers, word of mouth. Big call to pay someone $10,000 without having any idea if it is legitimate. I would suggest they know what they are getting themselves in for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Prior to Australia they are primarily coming from Indonesia. Not from refugee camps. Internet, newspapers, word of mouth. Big call to pay someone $10,000 without having any idea if it is legitimate. I would suggest they know what they are getting themselves in for.
    If that's the case then why do they continue to come, knowing they'll be locked in a detention center for a few years?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Sigh. As I said in so many words, I feel sorry for kids raised by families with so little empathy and compassion for fellow humans.
    I feel sorry for kids raised by families that condone violence in order to get your way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're making pretty big assumptions as well Father. Assuming 'they know what they are getting themselves into' and that their mental health is such that you don't understand or can empathize with their anger, frustration, depression, etc when they lash out for being imprisoned for doing nothing illegal!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If that's the case then why do they continue to come, knowing they'll be locked in a detention center for a few years?
    They know they will transit through a detention centre. Might take a year or two, but at the moment, the end result is the same = residence and welfare in Australia.
    They do not think they will get off a boat and walk straight into a house in Sydney.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel sorry for kids raised by families that condone violence in order to get your way.
    Oh give me a break!!! Nobody is condoning violence. They are empathizing and saying they can understand why some lash out when they feel and are treated like caged animals that have done something wrong, when their mental health is deteriorating and they feel like they have no hope.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 20-07-2013 at 10:16.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-07-2013),Clementine Grace  (23-07-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (23-07-2013),Funchu  (21-07-2013),risfaerie  (20-07-2013)