+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's normal for your carer to discuss plans for if you go over the guidelines of 41+7/10 so I'm not sure why everyone is in a tiss. It's their basic duty of care?!?

Anyway I had induction and emergency csect at 40wks as des had kidney problems which caused low fluid. If you have any queries ask away but if it reaches 42wks and you feel it's best to get bub out my advice would be induction.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    I think it's normal for your carer to discuss plans for if you go over the guidelines of 41+7/10 so I'm not sure why everyone is in a tiss. It's their basic duty of care?!?
    Personally my issue is that OP hasn't even reached her due date yet and her obstetrician has already offered an elective Caesarean section at 41 weeks.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (20-07-2013),Bubbles10  (20-07-2013),Buttoneska  (19-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP if you sounded comfortable with the idea of an elective c I wouldn't go on a rant about induction/surgery happy OBs and how infuriating it all is. But. You sound very keen to have a natural birth. Everyone has already said it, but it is crazy that your ob is even suggesting an elective c. The average gestation for first time mums is more like 40+5. You can be monitored and as long as you and bubs are fine, going to 42 weeks is very normal. Some women end up having ok induction experiences, but many don't (I'm not sure why your ob said it's not common for an induction to end in emergency c?!). Apart from risk of emergency c, there are all sorts of other things to consider when being induced. Do your research so that you feel confident in the decisions/choices you make as your OB WILL get pushy at the 41 week mark. Meanwhile, enjoy your last days of having that little one in your belly. Good luck.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to futuremamma For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (20-07-2013),MrsHoward  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Op havent read the previous posts but wanted to say that i was induced for ds and i hated it......i felt like my body went into shock. I had an array of problems and ended up with a traumaticc birth. This time have to have a csection because of the damage caused by my previous birth....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummtime101 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had an induced labour and (long story) ended with N emergency csection. I'm totally bias but I'd lean away from induction, encourage you to google "cascade of intervention".

Also had a very long labour and eventually a vbac, which was great.

Be mindful a full time pregnancy is 37-42 weeks, if you don't want to be induced or have a csection at 41 weeks you don't have to. You don't have to show up or feel pressured. Perhaps ask your ob exactly what are the risks/stats with going to 42 weeks.

Btw though they can't tell you much about what's about to happen naturally, they can predict but could be wrong. A midwife told me she didn't think katelyn was going to come soon and labour started the next day.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummtime101 View Post
    Op havent read the previous posts but wanted to say that i was induced for ds and i hated it......i felt like my body went into shock. I had an array of problems and ended up with a traumaticc birth. This time have to have a csection because of the damage caused by my previous birth....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This is one of the reasons i would consider a elective caesarean, because I have heard so stories of women like yourself being induced and having a terrible experience or resulting in emergency c/s anyway. If you had the choice , would you have chosen to have a caesarean rather than being induced ? I know its probably silly to ask in hindsight because u never know what can happen when being induced.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post

Btw though they can't tell you much about what's about to happen naturally, they can predict but could be wrong. A midwife told me she didn't think katelyn was going to come soon and labour started the next day.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Hoping that happens and my OB is wrong

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHoward For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (20-07-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    To talk so soon of inductions and c/s can really undermine the confidence a woman has in her ability to birth her baby as nature intended. From my own experience I needed to have every weapon in my arsenal to be able to have the intervention free birth I wanted and having absolute confidence in my body was a huge part of that.

It also indicates the OB lacks confidence in women's abilities to birth babies. Interventions carry risks as well as costs. From everyone's perspective it is always best to have an intervention free birth when possible. If an OB is telling a woman that if her body doesn't perform according to the parameters set out in a text book then they will have to intervene then this can greatly affect not only the mother's confidence but how the OB approaches birth in general.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHoward View Post
    This is one of the reasons i would consider a elective caesarean, because I have heard so stories of women like yourself being induced and having a terrible experience or resulting in emergency c/s anyway. If you had the choice , would you have chosen to have a caesarean rather than being induced ? I know its probably silly to ask in hindsight because u never know what can happen when being induced.
    I haven't had a cs but I would rather go through an induction again if it meant a greater chance of avoiding a cs. I would just wait as long as I felt comfortable with to maximise the opportunity for a spontaneous labour and/or the baby to be birth vaginally via induction.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (21-07-2013),MrsHoward  (20-07-2013),Taiyed  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you were looking forward to the labour, I would try an induction if labour fails to happen spontaneously. If you fail to progress during induction then obviously the next step is caesarian and I doubt you would be jeopardizing the health of yourself or baby if it came to that point.

My personal opinion on caesarians is that it should only be done if other option fail or cannot be done safely. Only because of complications that can come from scar tissue later in life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read all pp but wanted to let you know that I was in the same position just 2 weeks ago!
    I ended up being induced which turned out to be a great decision. I went from totally closed unfavourable cervix to 10cm in about 8 hours. Pushed out Eamon last Sunday morning in just 30 min of pushing.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (20-07-2013)