+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm pro choice which means if you want a c section just because then you should be able to.

But I'm reading this and shaking my head. Why is he even talking about this yet??? I agree with pp that there is a third option - wait until you go into labour and if you don't at 41+6 then look at your options. Gah - I'm for good OBs but when I read a story like this I really why the have a bad rep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How awful to make you stressed over what is probably nothing.
    40 weeks is the point at which 1/2 of pregnant women will have given birth. It is the statistical average. I have always wondered why this is called 'overdue'. Makes way more sense to call 42 weeks overdue..... Or the point where 95% of women would have given birth. They would both be more sensible definitions.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wasn't exactly in your situation, but I had to have an 'elective' c section as none of the doctors at my hospital would support me having a breech birth as it was first bub. If I had a choice between induction and c section I'd take induction and a shot at a vaginal birth any day over jumping straight to a c section. It wasn't a bad experience as such, but personally I can't understand why people choose to have them. This is obviously up to the individual, that's just my opinion. I didn't get to have immediate skin to skin, I didn't get to do delayed cord clamping, dh didn't get to cut the cord, etc so my birthing plan had to go out the window.

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (19-07-2013),Stretched  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Statistically first time bubs for caucasian women are likely to come after EDD, so it's no surprise your ob thinks you will go over. I agree with others though - wait until you are 41+6 and then make a decision.

I don't have the book to look at exact figures, (I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm pretty sure I read in 'Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering' by Sarah Buckley that only 3% of babies come after 42 weeks - so your chances of actually making it to 42 weeks are pretty slim. I wouldn't be considering an elective c/s for no other reason than making it to 41 weeks.

Good luck with decision.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    You've been given some great advice already.

Did your OB tell you that as a first time mother being induced you will have a 30% chance of it ending in an emergency C/S? There are alternatives though. You can offer to be regularly monitored instead of being induced. My DS was born 42+2, he was fine, the placenta was fine with no signs of being overdue. Whilst some women have fantastic inductions many more do not. It's usually highly medicated with an epi, constant monitoring etc so no active birth. This can also have knock on effects to your own emotional well being as well as your milk supply.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-07-2013),MrsHoward  (19-07-2013),Taiyed  (19-07-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Here is a great article written by a midwife about inductions/postdates etc.

"A timely birth"

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/timely.asp

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Wtf? Talking induction already and elective csec for no reason? That's crazy.

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies..this helps alot. I knew it would be best to ask the women who have been through it...rather than the male OB who has never had a baby ! lol

I dont think he was trying to force a caesarean onto me ..rather just giving me options as I think he may be used to patients having elective caesareans.
    I like that he likes to plan ahead as it reassures me he has a plan and knows what he is doing rather than leaving me guessing...but this time the planning ahead just freaked me out ! I think the birth just feels more real when someone starts planning the day baby will arrive and its kinda scary !
    I also agree with you all and after reading about it..i shouldnt really worry about it until it gets closer to being overdue as im sure bub could come before then. :thumbup:

I know if I am going to be induced OB definitely wants to do it before 42 weeks, most likely 41+?...he said going past 42 weeks increases risk with baby/placenta,etc..and Im fine with that, i dont really want to wait until after 42 wk to be induced. I wont worry about it until end of next week when he wants to discuss it again. Like you say..bubba could come before then and theres no point worrying

Thankyou for your expertise ladies feeling better and less stressed

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bec said everything I was thinking. I just wanted to add that you may find your OB gets very pushy with induction the more post date you get. If you don't want to be induced you will need to stand firm. At the end of the day it is your choice to make.

If you feel pushed into it make sure you are aware of ALL the risks, they tend to only tell you snippets of stats etc. it's best to do your own reading and research.

I had DS at 42 weeks (spontaneous but ended up needing syntocin to speed up labour) and declined induction at 40+9. No problems with bub or placenta. Had a very low risk pregnancy and only reason for induction was post date. Had monitoring every second day past 40+8.
    Last edited by Taiyed; 19-07-2013 at 20:32.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (20-07-2013),MrsHoward  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He may be a male Ob who has never had a baby, but he is the only one of us that has examined you and really knows your medical issues - and most likely the only one of us that is an expert in the field of obstetrics. As much as we can advise what 'we' would do in your situation, you can't rule out his advice based on ours.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (20-07-2013)