+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Induction Vs. Elective Caesarean...HELP!

**WARNING..LONG STORY**

Hi Ladies! HELP!

I saw my OB today.I am due this Sunday (2 days) but OB thinks that baby will be overdue, as a lot of first babies are and my cervix is not anywhere near looking like I will be going into labor anytime soon.

So we began discussing the plan of what to do if baby does not come naturally in the recommended amount of time (before 42 weeks).

Option 1. Elective Caesarean. He said I could have an Elective Caesarean (or Planned Caesarean), in about a week, so I would be just over a week overdue.
    OR
    Option 2. Induction. He would do the induction, in about a week, so again I would be just over a week overdue.

I see him on Monday and he will check my cervix again and see if it may look like labour could come naturally. But I will also have to see him on the Friday if nothing has happened to decide whether to go ahead with an induction or caesarean.
    He listed both pros and cons of induction and planned caesarean.
    He explained the Induction procedure and mentioned it may not work and then they may have to try again and if labor does not progress I could end up having an emergency caesarean, but this isn't too common.

My plan was to have a natural-as-possible birth, hopefully no induction or drugs, etc. It is my first baby so I have no idea what to expect or what is "normal". I have been listening to Hypnobirthing CDs and was really looking forward to the birth. Now I am scared and freaking out! And feel like all my plans have gone out the window! I know bub could still come naturally (which i really hope!), but I still have to make a decision before next week....Induction or Caesarean?

Background:
    I have had no problems during pregnancy, everything has been completely normal. And for the past month I have had all the normal signs; Braxton Hicks and cramps, etc.
    I NEVER wanted to have a caesarean because of the healing process and I always thought of it as a major operation.
    But what if the Induction doesn't work and I don't progress into normal labour and they have to do an emergency caesarean? I would feel terrible about putting the baby in that sort of distress. And I know people say Induction is more painful than "normal" labour (without an epidural). So do I choose a caesarean and have no pain at all (during the birth) or the more painful option (Induction)? I just don't know!

Anyway....what I would like to know is;
    1. Your experiences in this situation?
    2. Your experience in induction or caesarean (planned or emergency)?
    3. Have you gone through both options and if so which one was best?

Sorry for the long post.....I am just so unsure of what to do

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My advice, wait until 41 + 6, and THEN have the conversation about induction vs CSec.

The chances of you going into labour before that are pretty good.

No point stressing about something which may never happen!

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (19-07-2013),angelini  (19-07-2013),BornToBe  (21-07-2013),Bubbles10  (19-07-2013),HippyGirl85  (19-07-2013),MrsHoward  (19-07-2013),smallpotatoes  (19-07-2013),Stretched  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep, you need to give it more than a week. DS was born 9 days over. Induction 10 to 14 days over would be better

Seems ridiculous reason for an elective caesarean.

Big boy '08
    Little girl '11
    Fetus-face due Feb '14

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What a joke. Typical obstetrician fear mongering.

Induction of labour standardly happens at around T + 10.

If your cervix was friggen ready for labour, then you'd be in labour. Thats why they give prostins (the gel) to help soften the cervix so it is favourable for labour.

Having an elective caesarean because you're a week overdue is the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

Chances are if you needed an emergency caesarean after induction it would be for a failed induction/failure to progress and the baby wouldn't be in distress at all.

Even higher chances is that you go into labour naturally and won't need any of it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (20-07-2013),BlueLips  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told at 39 weeks that my cervix was very hard and closed and I would def go past my due date. 3 days later I went into fast spontaneous labour and had bub at 39+3... So there is hope!!!

I would go for induction over c/s if you r hoping for a vginal birth. Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    At 40+4 my cervix was unreachable. Closed and hard. Baby was born 5 days later within 3hrs. I'd just wait it out

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And people were surprised when I mentioned csect happy drs doing these ops for non medical reasons! OP, I agree with PPs. I'm not sure why you'd even be told to consider a csect in this case. You said everything has been perfectly normal. Well, babies don't come on their due date very often. It's normal to be "overdue". I have been induced and had a natural labour, and tbh, the natural labour was shorter but more painful- posterior bubs both times. Not sure why. But either way, if you don't want a section, be upfront with your doc. As AM said, at 41+6 start organising your induction- chances are by then you'll be super close to popping anyway, if you even make it that far.
    All the very best

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (19-07-2013),IndigoJ  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and last time with DD2 on the Friday around midday at an internal I was told my cervix was high and closed and not thinned out at all. She was born at quarter past midnight, Sunday morning, after a 3 hour labour

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You poor thing. What a dodgy dr for scaring you with unneccessary talk of surgery when you are supposed to be excited and getting ready to meet your baby.

You have a third option, and that is to wait until your baby comes naturally. Your EDD is just an estimated date, it is quite normal for a pregnancy to go to 42 weeks. It is way too early to have to make a decision on c section or induction.

However, now that your dr has mentioned that he is keen on interventions, it gives you a chance to research the options and decide what you are willing to accept.

In addition, vaginal examinations are often unnecessary and can lead to infection. The status of your cervix today does not indicate when you will go into labour.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (19-07-2013),angelini  (19-07-2013),BornToBe  (21-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (19-07-2013),Qwerty  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is mental. You shouldn't even be having a conversation about induction until you are at least 41 weeks and there is absolutely no reason why the words "elective c-section" were even uttered.

Just remember babies born from 40-42 weeks aren't late - they are within the normal gestational timeframe.

Many mums will have an induction at 40+10 so that is an option if that's what you want. But if there are no complications there's absolutely no need for an induction before then.