+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to get my toddler to eat more dairy...

Im concerned m 2yr old is not gtting enough calcium in her diet. Other than that, she eats extremely well. We have just had tests done to confirm she is NOT intollerant to cow's milk protein and she does NOT have a lactose intollerence.
    In terms of dairy, all she has is about 1/2 cup of milk in her cereal each morning. Most of the time that milk is left behind unless its absorbed by the cereal like oates or weetbix. She's not interested in cheese - at all. even if i add it to cooking like cheesy pasta (i even try ricotta) or cheesy scones.
    She's off yoghurt and has been for a while.
    Wont drink smoothis ive tried making them with milk and yoghurt - they taste really good too!
    Wont touch rice pudding
    She eats custard - store bought but that only has 25% full cream milk. The rest is sugar! I dont know how to make my own and i really dont have the time, esp if she refuses it.
    She will eat ice cream but i cant possibly have her eating that everday?
    She used to have a cup of milk before bed but is no longer drinking it. I refuse to flavour milk. She wont have a cup of milk any other time of the day as ive tried and tried to offer milk instead of water but she goes for the water every time. I heat the milk and i offer it chilled and room temp!

Im out of ideas on how i can add some more calcium to her diet and get her to eat it! Im having a mental blank!
    I dont even know how much a 2yr old is supposed to be having but something tells me that 1/2 cup or less is not enough.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What is frozen yoghurt like nutritionally? I haven't checked. Just a quick thought.
    Will keep on thinking...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD went off milk at about 1 and like yours wasn't into cheeses. An old Italian lady at local deli insisted I boil small pasta (like risoni) for longer than needed then pour out all but about 2cm water. Add a big dollop of ricotta and leave it covered on bench for about 10 mins.
    She devoured it!! Became a staple from then on with added veg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, I have the same problem with my 29 month old.

He refused to drink milk all of a sudden about 3 months ago. He won't eat cheese, has gone off yoghurt. He won't even try any flavoured milk or smoothies.

At the moment we get dairy into him by making his morning oats with milk and giving him custard at night. I feel like he needs more dairy so I'm subbing for ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How does she go with veggies? Here is a list of veggies that contain calcium: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...n-calcium.html

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Green vegetables (kale is excellent, broccoli, Asian greens), almonds are high in calcium also. Have you tried almond milk? It's very easy to make yourself.

We're vegan and have no problems with calcium.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Dark leafy greens are incredibly high in calcium, salmon and sardines are great for calcium, almonds are great for calcium (if she can't eat whole almonds, you can use almond meal - which is just ground almonds - instead of flour in many recipes), and shockingly oranges and sesame seeds have a fair whack of calcium too.

Just google to see ways you can prepare these things... plenty of people don't like or cannot have dairy, and they still get enough calcium from other sources.

S

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD loves cream cheese (not sure how much calcium it has), she eats it on cruskits, rice crackers etc (sometimes ill put a few sprinkles on top), and in sandwiches. She also loooves pink milk (regular milk with cochineal in it to make it pink)... :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to suggest frozen yoghurt or coloured (not flavoured) milk.

Lots of green leafy veggies & salmon, crush the bones up super small in tinned salmon, mix it with a little mayo & serve in sanga with finely sliced spinach leaves - kids love it.

Rice pudding, tapioca pudding, that other grain that begins with 's'... all of these are basically milk.

ETA: it's not that hard or time consuming to make your own custard, even using the powder will minimise sugar content & make the calcium count higher as its mostly milk.
    Last edited by grumpybump; 19-07-2013 at 15:14.