+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have studied via both methods (External = B. Social Work through CSU & Online =B. Ed (Primary through Curtin Uni). To be very honest, although it took some getting used to, I much prefer online. I found that this mode allowed for much more interaction with other students and tutors. After a 4yr degree, finding space to keep all the printed material of an external course also became an issue and I ended up throwing lots of material out!. Although, I have to say, that towards the end of my external course, the university (I guess as a means of being environmentally friendly) decided not to send out all the printed materials anymore, and would instead sent a CD rom that contained all of the required readings etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm looking at doing my dip ed. when I did my science degree I never listened in lectures, would just do assignments and cram for exams.

Someone said online would be harder as you need to prove you've actually read it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I hated online as I love to ask questions sometimes would take few days for them to respond compared to being in lecture room and asking your teacher.

Idammed

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I did both. I was rubbish at external with paper and had lots of late nights catching up towards the end. Online was better for me because I was required to comment on message boards and things which meant I had to put the time in every week. It really depends how organised and disciplined you are.i am not self-disciplined enough to study externally. The last time I did it I was working full time as well. Glutton for punishment!

Internal study also provides social and networking opportunities that external study doesn't tend to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for the replies. Its so confusing hey. And i guess its one of those things that you won't really know until you get into it.

One of my concerns is paying the fee in total upfront with the online course. I guess atleast with TAFE I can budget better.

Confusing! I wonder if all employers recognise the accreditations, or whether they prefer a certain course provider ie TAFE?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I was going to add that TAFE is recognizable as a training provider, and I would say 200 hrs experience compared to 50 could be the difference to you getting a job. I bet you could pay in installments for your online if you contact them. They are a business after all. Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm doing uni online and I must say it's really hard when you are sitting there trying to study and you have an internet-full of distractions at the click of a button. I've often wished all I needed was a folder and textbooks. Also that way I could sit outside in the fresh air and not worry about computers battery life.

That said, it's very convienient submitting assignments online, so I think submitting them by mail would be a bit arduous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just enrolled to study online, but from what I've been told by current students, it's a bit of a mixture of both. They send you out hard copies of course material and text books, but you submit essays and do exams online, and they also do a lot of video assessments.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently finishing up a Diploma studied online. It also had less placement hours than the internal Tafe course. Both are through tafe but online required 240 placement hours, while at Tafe requires 400hrs.

Apparently the difference has something to do with international student visa requirements needing more hours.

Anyway the course is viewed slightly differently by some employers, ie DHS don't employ directly from the online course, but do recognise the internal Tafe qualification.

I love studying online however, and the time saved in travel makes it well worthwhile for me. I have no problem reading the text online,and jotting down notes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am an external uni student where the delivery is online. It depends on the subject whether or not you get printed materials. I like it studying this way as I can study when I can fit it in around the kids. Whether we get printed materials or not we are required to buy the text book.

Online there is a forum and you have some interaction with others doing the same course, which has been great. We are in a lot of email contact and on facebook.

It is really up to you to decide and what you think you will cope with better.

Good luck!