+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Organising my own baby shower ?

Hi! : )

I'm just seeking opinions on etiquette mostly.. I'm expecting our second child. DS is nearly 7. We are having a little girl this time and to top it off we got rid of almost all our baby stuff a while ago thinking we were done.

My mum and SIL are busy planning my SIL and brothers wedding.. they have enough going on and i don't want to ask them. The wedding is on the same day as my EDD.

My two best girlfriends don't live in Aus atm and won't be around till after the birth. So my question is.. Would you find it rude or odd if I threw my own baby shower?

I had initially thought I wouldn't worry about it and just have a little get together after bubs is here. But as I get closer.. I'm starting to feel a bit bummed that this pregnancy hasn't really been celebrated much.
    We had alot of complications early on and seemed to be treading on egg shells so there wasn't all that joy and excitement you would expect when we announced we were pregnant. Mostly everyone was just crossing their fingers it would all work out. I suppose I'm feeling like having a shower might be a way to get some of that fun and anticipation back a little and also share this pregnancy with friends and family I haven't seen much of lately.

Would you feel put off by an invite if I organised my own shower? Would it seem like I'm just scrounging for presents or being greedy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know how you feel. I kind of feel bad about them and think it appears it's for a pressie gran but after the trouble we had falling pregnant I secretly really want one. Have had two people comment about hosting one for me but nothing has eventuates and I'm kind of disappointed but I think organizing one for myself seems weird I dont know

3. The Following User Says Thank You to clucky14 For This Useful Post:

MadeWithLove  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I organized my own. No one else was going to do it for me.

It was just really simple, sit down afternoon tea type thing.
    I'm not into games or anything so was quite easy. No one had an issue that I organized it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SK2BC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ive wondered this too so will be interested in the replies

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hummingbird1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I organised my own but held it at my mums house. Was a lot of fun and glad I did it as I'm sure no one else would have done it for me

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mumma2lilb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I organized my own, had it at a friends place though.

There was a thread last night about baby showers and having them for consecutive children. I am strongly of the opinion that there's nothing wrong with having a shower for each pregnancy. Why should the first be celebrated and the second third etc not? Each baby is a blessing and miracle, that's worth celebrating IMO.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (19-07-2013),MadeWithLove  (19-07-2013),melimum  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently heard of a baby sprinkle which is essentially a toned down more causal version of a shower for subsequent babies. Presents change from everything under the sun to more like the essential items like nappies and creams you would need regardless of which baby this is for the mum.

Interesting idea.. I'm not sure ppl would know what I was talking about if I said I was a having a baby sprinkle though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having my first baby and don't have family out here (moved from UK). I'm organising my own baby shower because there isn't anyone else to do it for me!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mwl I love the idea of a sprinkle!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies ladies. I might chat with mum and see if she would be happy to have it at her place but I will do all the organising. Might just make it clear on the invites that's a less formal version of a shower.. and go with the 'sprinkle' idea.