+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Jasper was having a bottle/cup of milk until 4, it did help a bit when he couldn't just hold out for milk.

I also just made pumpkin pie this week - never tried it before - jaspers had it for dessert. It's mostly pumpkin! He's loving it because he's getting limitless cake. Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    But if you feel you should speak to a professional about your response - do. That's a good idea if you feel that you should. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dd will often not eat (she is 3) if she doesn't she may have a bit of fruit or possibly a slice of bread/peanut butter and water if she complains.

normally she won't say she is hungry so I know she has had enough. She is a grazer though, I spend half the day serving up little bits of food. Drives me nuts but she at least she actually eats most of the time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey I've been in your shoes before where I was just sooooo angry and then I realised that the more I got frustrated about it - the worse the situation become. So I just decided that I would no longer feel that way.

I consciously decided that if they didn't eat it I'd show no emotion. So no matter whether they are it or not I just responded in the same way.

I also started talking about how healthy food helps stop is from being sick and makes us strong. I'd then test how strong my boys were by them pulling on my hand. I'd ask them to have another bite then test them again and put on a big act like they had grown a bit stronger. I did this with each bite initially and then only before and after a meal. We still do it every no and then.

I also made a rule that if they try something they can spit it out if they don't like it - but they might be surprised and like it. I've stuck to this religiously. If DS1 said he doesn't like it he spits it our .. No questions asked.

He also loves cooking (and watching masterchef) with me.

All of the above has made me go from a mother losing her cool over a boy who at 2/3 would only eat pasta .... to a 5 year old who loves veg, meat, eggs, fish, green smoothies with spinach, quiche, all sorts of fruit (except pineapple... But he's tried), soup, nuts, anything I give him really. He genuinely doesn't like a handful of things but I astounded by just how far he has come.

His prep teacher often comments on the healthy lunches he eats.

My DS2 (who is 2.5yrs old) is a bit fussier. He doesn't like pasta and it's not healthy anyway so I don't bother, but he's also not a huge fan of meat. Just tonight he ate a soup made just from pumpkin, carrot, zucchini, red onion & stock. He'd eat veg and grilled salmon every night but wouldn't touch a sausage. I'm thinking I might try sneak some meat into soup.
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 18-07-2013 at 21:01.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD3 is our fussy eater. But she is gradually getting better and is now eating broccoli=-O !!!

Some things we have found that help are a small snack for afternoon tea and nothing to eat after 3.30, we all sit down to eat together so she sees DH & I eating the same foods and she gets very small portions, an unopened tub of yoghrt in front of her is sometimes a good insentive.

We try and make it a bit of fun, pumpkin and sweet potato are referred to as goldfish!! DH will say has anyone seen my pet goldfish, I hope no one has eaten him. Or sometimes we make recipes - "my recipe is sausage with peas, have you tried it, whats your recipe?" etc, all a bit silly but anything to get her to put a taste in her mouth. When she was at her worst, around the age of 3, we would let her make faces with her food, sometimes she could be tricked into eating an "eye" or "hair".

Now that she is 5 the rule is you dont have to finish your plate but once you leave the table there is nothing else to eat. When she was 2 & 3 I used to let her have a drink of milk before bed if she was hungry, but we have stopped that now, she can have water.

DH is the one who gets angry over her refusing dinner, and I have noticed this just makes her worse. If we can keep it relaxed and fun she is more likely to have a taste.

Goodluck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read the replies, but I find my kids are so tired and not overly hungry at dinner time. I got so frustrated with cooking them healthy dinners, I now just give them a small portion of what my husband and I are having, if they don't eat it there is nothing until morning - they know the rules.
    Instead, we have a big breakfast and big lunch and I make sure they are getting all their nutrients in those meals.
    Night time is so much calmer now, and I have found they are more willing to try new foods in the daytime when they aren't tired.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if this would help, but some ladies in my mothers group went to a talk on kids nutrition and what to feed them and how to get them to eat properly.

I don't have much experience with this as I'm very lucky my DS eats everything.

But then again, I have never given him the option of eating junk food. No sausage, party pies, pizza, burgers, chips, nuggets, sausage rolls etc. I don't make that stuff and if we eat out I take his dinner that I have made or he eats part of my healthier adult meal.

A friend of mine had fussy eaters and she just flat out refused to give her kids junk food. She just stopped buying that stuff and they eventually ate what was on their plate.

At the end of the day, it's your kids health at stake and if they know you will give in, they will be more stubborn than you and just hold out until you give them something else.

They won't starve. As for getting upset with them, I completely get that. I am just not sure how to handle that part.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lambylamb For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (21-07-2013)