+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Please help - anger issues over kids not eating

As the title suggest i desperately need help. I served my kids dinner tonight and neither would even touch it. I got so mad. Feels like every time I try and cook something healthy they refuse to eat or even try it. I know kids are fussy and I need to keep offering etc . the help I am after right now is how do i stop myself getting into a rage?? I was and am still so mad I don't want to be anywhere near the kids right now. Each night this happens I tell myself not make such a big deal out of it but without fail I end up getting so angry! What do I do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do they go to bed without anything or do you make them something else? Can you change your expectations so you don't get disappointed when they don't try it? Serve them a very small portion so it doesn't matter when you throw it out?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would they eat it if they helped you prepare it? Or are they too young?

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What do they like to eat?

Could you do a combo plate of things they eat with minimum fuss and add a few things to "try" on the same plate?

How old are they?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I serve small portions or bargain ie 2 bites if this 1 of this then you have such and such. And when that fails its bed with nothing and guess what's for lunch tomorrow

No suggestions on how to not be angry or upset it still peeves me off too but ya just learn to deal with it really. There are no magical tricks but with perseverance you will make progress

Best of luck and

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahhh I know this feeling! My boys were like this too and I used to get so angry every dinner time. I eventually just started sending them to bed without dinner if they refused to eat. It's drastic but 90% of the time it would work. After a lot of persistence it paid off and now they eat their dinner majority of the time. I still sometimes hide their veggies and make things like green smoothies but in general my policy is take it or leave it.

You could also try involving them in the cooking process and educating them on why certain foods are good for you. My DS1 now asks me if certain foods are 'good for your brain'

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FertileMertile For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old are they? I used to fight with my kids over dinner and like you would get so angry then I stuck to a plan and won.
    Before 3 if they don't eat their dinner they can have milk and a sandwich, after 3 years they don't eat their dinner they go to bed.
    My 8 and 5 year olds are now awesome eaters while my 2 year old may eat dinner once a week if I'm lucky.
    Make up your rules and stick to them.

Sent from my sandwich.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will pretty much give in and give them fruit and ds his bottle but today I am giving them nothing. It's not so muh throwing out the food that gets to me it's more the effort. I work 3 days so those days they tend to eat whatever and that means takeaway or not very healthy food. I guess that's why I feel guilty and will make them something healthy on the days I am home. I just get so mad that any meals where I make the effort to be healthy doesn't even get tried. I know I need to accept they are young 3.5 & 2. I just don't know how to stop myself feeling so angry then taking it out on them. I scream and yell and threaten and switch off from them. It's a terrible thing to do and I always feel bad afterwards but the cycle just repeats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just seen all the replies. Thanks so much everyone. I think I will just offer fruit or go hungry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As frustrating as it is the best thing you can do is not stress about it too much.

If they dont eat something, pop it in a container and eat it yourself for lunch the next day so your not wasting food.

If you can pinpoint what they like and dislike it will make things easier.
    You can hide vegies in pasta sauce, sausage rolls, pizza sauce etc.

My kids love hands on food such as a taco platter or wrap platter that they can serve themselves.
    Other things my kids will eat all the time is..
    - Macoroni cheese with a side serve of broccoli, beans, carrots etc
    - Homemade burgers and chips
    - Pizza ( you can use pizza bases, pita breads or english muffins as bases)
    - Spaghetti ( I mix it up and use different shaped pasta each week)
    -Lasagna
    - Sausage rolls, pasties anything you they can dip in tomato sauce
    - Toastie cheese sanga's and salad plate ( beetroot, carrot, celery sticks,cherry tomatos, cubed cheese etc.

If my kids dont want dinner then i leave it in the fridge and if they get hungry they can warm it up later.

As long as they have a range of healthy foods during the day dont stress too much about if they dont eat their dinner.
    Most kids grow out of it eventually.
    Last edited by Blue Dragon; 18-07-2013 at 19:24.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue Dragon For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (18-07-2013),Jontu  (18-07-2013)