+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsugardumplin' View Post
    On another tangent, I find it kinda interesting that people's responses reflect attitudes towards people who are differently abled.

I mean, being in a wheelchair is many people's way of life - so when we are horrified that someone chooses this as a way of life, that suggests a whole range of stuff about people who use wheelchairs and their life.
    I grew up with a disabled sister who was in a wheelchair and have friends who have spent their lives in wheelchairs. Having been part of their lives I find it horrifying that someone would want to do that. I understand her mental illness and that this isn't your regular scenario but I'd be wanting to know that she truly understands what life would be like because some aspects are quite frankly horrifying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    She'd still need a wheelchair, a parking permit etc. and her mental illness wouldn't cease to exist. The amputation wouldn't be a cure but part of her therapy I guess. It's it that sufferers see amputees as not disabled- the see their own limb or limbs as not belonging on their own bodies- this isn't projected onto others, just themselves. Its fascinating, but I imagine it would be awful to live with,
    The woman in the article said she wants to be 'disabled'. She doesn't want her legs amputated, she has no aversion to her legs at all. The surgery she is after is to have her spine damaged so that she loses the use of her legs. And she loves skiing, so she doesn't even have any aversion to using her legs!

I'm sorry, I must be feeling like a bit of a b!itch today, but I think she sounds like a complete spoilt brat. Sounds like she wants some attention and thinks that being disabled might get her some. IMO this is the ultimate first world problem.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    The woman in the article said she wants to be 'disabled'. She doesn't want her legs amputated, she has no aversion to her legs at all. The surgery she is after is to have her spine damaged so that she loses the use of her legs. And she loves skiing, so she doesn't even have any aversion to using her legs!

I'm sorry, I must be feeling like a bit of a b!itch today, but I think she sounds like a complete spoilt brat. Sounds like she wants some attention and thinks that being disabled might get her some. IMO this is the ultimate first world problem.
    Sorry, the thread derailed a bit. I was talking generally about that disorder, where amputation is a common want iykwim.

Eta- it's not that she's spoilt, she is mentally ill. She has a disorder. It's a hard one to understand but it is what it is.
    Last edited by Atropos; 24-07-2013 at 17:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Half of me wants to understand and accept she has a mental disorder. Another half of me, when this is compared to Gender Dysphoria, wants to just say "maybe thats just who they are and they don't have a mental illness." When I consider people who genuinely believe they are supposed to be the opposite sex I consider it the same as being gay - its just who you are, not a mental illness.

I really want to read that book.