+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lady wants surgery to become permanently disabled [she is able-bodied]

A WOMAN is so desperate to be disabled she is willing to undergo a $25,000 operation so she can live the rest of her life permanently in a wheelchair.

London-born Chloe Jennings-White uses a wheelchair and lives as if she is a paraplegic despite being completely able-bodied and a passionate skier.

The 58-year-old, who now lives in the US with her wife Danielle, said she had wanted to be disabled for as long as she could remember.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hea...-1226681175738

I feel really sorry for her because of her mental illness, even though she seems perfectly fine with it, but I can't help but find it inappropriate towards paraplegics who would give anything to be able-bodied.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its actually quite a common thing. Like people amputating their limbs cos they believe they werent meant to have them. Just like people who were born without limbs, some people believe they were born with limbs when they shouldnt have.
    Interesting. I love the way the human brain works more so when it works differently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think what you have to remember is this is a serious psychological disorder, so while I understand what you're saying about being inappropriate towards paraplegics, this woman has a serious disorder that is actually life threatening.

Surgeons (for good reason) won't amputate limbs or perform surgery on people unnecessarily so a few actually resort to trying to remove their own limbs and die in the process. It's a horrible condition, one I actually researched a fair bit after first hearing about it, and my heart really goes out to them.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (18-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    I think what you have to remember is this is a serious psychological disorder, so while I understand what you're saying about being inappropriate towards paraplegics, this woman has a serious disorder that is actually life threatening.
    Thank you, and that is why I started with "I feel really sorry for her because of her mental illness". So, I acknowledged immediately that she had a mental illness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow. That totally spins me out. I can't imagine feeling the way she feels.

I guess her mental illness is a disability in itself.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have never actually heard of this illness. I wonder, with the right treatment (whatever that may be) if she could ever overcome it? Or even so finally have the surgery and the regret being in a wheel chair?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow! ...I've heard of Body Dysmorphic Disorder before - but not this.

How bizarre it must be to want to lose the use of part of your body.

So interesting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is this any different to gender dysphoria? Do we treat this or just let them do what they want to do? We allow children as young as 12 to undergo sex changes and told to think that this is normal, that if we deny them their "right" to have the operation that we are cruel. So why not let the woman have her legs chopped off?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    Its actually quite a common thing. Like people amputating their limbs cos they believe they werent meant to have them. Just like people who were born without limbs, some people believe they were born with limbs when they shouldnt have.
    Interesting. I love the way the human brain works more so when it works differently.
    This book goes into some cases of this disorder. http://www.oliversacks.com/books/man...took-his-wife/
    Just wanted to say, it's not actually very common. In fact it's pretty rare. And really poorly understood, but this book was a really interesting read. I feel very sorry for the lady in the article