+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    We did that.

$20,000 covers us....i even included some for replacing clothing etc.

I guess some people just have less than others

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    We have the kids crap too lol. As bad as it sounds. Imagine your house burnt to the ground. You would have to replace dishes cutlery pots and pans clothes linen ect ect. Our house burnt down and we didn't have nearly enough to replace everything and we only had basic basic things

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used to work for RACV then AAMI and most people ate drastically underinsured and the actual difference to insure 20k to 60k often isn't much. I used to ask every policy holder- if your house burnt to the ground tomorrow what would it cost to replace clothing, bedding, furniture, electrical, kitchen appliances and all of your pantry/bathroom supplies- it adds up really quickly- we used to pay out $1000 per adult cash straight away in a total loss claim just so the insured could buy some new clothes and essentials to live in a hotel/with family. Please be wary if you can't afford to fully insure your contents ask yourself in the worst case scenario of a house fire/flood could you replace everything

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (18-07-2013),IndigoJ  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess I feel like if our house burnt down or flooded etc I wouldnt replace lots of crap we have! I have so much clothing, knick knacks, junk, cheap ikea furniture. I just don't see the point in paying high premiums to insure things I wouldn't miss so much if they were gone.
    I have my engagement ring insured with our contents but we have no other jewelry (other than our wedding rings). Wouldn't see the need to insure costume jewelry. And then added up major appliances, some clothing and some kitchenware. We will have to increase it soon I think once I start buying baby things.

I pay insurance for my lap top separately. They cover for stuff like dropping it or breakage.

Baby #1 due 28/03/2014!!
    18 months trying, pregnant 1st round Clomid.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 3cats1pug For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    I used to work for RACV then AAMI and most people ate drastically underinsured and the actual difference to insure 20k to 60k often isn't much. I used to ask every policy holder- if your house burnt to the ground tomorrow what would it cost to replace clothing, bedding, furniture, electrical, kitchen appliances and all of your pantry/bathroom supplies- it adds up really quickly- we used to pay out $1000 per adult cash straight away in a total loss claim just so the insured could buy some new clothes and essentials to live in a hotel/with family. Please be wary if you can't afford to fully insure your contents ask yourself in the worst case scenario of a house fire/flood could you replace everything
    Yep, been there done that with a house fire. We had not had a chance to insure our contents as it happened a week after getting there and we were at a temp address. We got given $100 each to buy clothes. It got me two pants and two shirts and a pack of undies. We only had stuff that fit in our car burn down. It's a horrible feeling not having enough money to replace basic items.

Been there done that with a cyclone. We were paid out for some of our contents and we could only afford half of them with the claim money and had to do without the other stuff. Personally I'd rather more money than less when it comes to replacing belongings. It's a hard process trying to rebuild.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's actually around 77% of Australians who are either not insured or underinsured.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    But why would you want to replace everything? I know if my house burnt down and everything was lost I would use it as a clean slate to not buy more than what is necessary and get rid of the clutter.
    I'm happy just to have the necessities insured and save a few dollars on the premium.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    But why would you want to replace everything? I know if my house burnt down and everything was lost I would use it as a clean slate to not buy more than what is necessary and get rid of the clutter.
    I'm happy just to have the necessities insured and save a few dollars on the premium.

Even the basics cost a huge amount. For example one set of sheets each for all our beds (4people)would be about $300. One towel each would be $100. So buying two sets, one for spare would add up to almost $1000 out of your $20, 000 payout. For very basic linen. Each to their own I suppose but having been there twice, one with no insurance and one with not enough insurance, now we overinsure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post

Exactly

It never even occurred to me to insure every single item. Just furniture, electronics and clothing. Anything else is relatively cheap to replace anyway and ur right its a good way to clean out the clutter.

So much of what we have we dont really "need" so why would i bother to insure it?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Even the basics cost a huge amount. For example one set of sheets each for all our beds (4people)would be about $300. One towel each would be $100. So buying two sets, one for spare would add up to almost $1000 out of your $20, 000 payout. For very basic linen. Each to their own I suppose but having been there twice, one with no insurance and one with not enough insurance, now we overinsure.
    Thats why i said it depends on what you have,to replace all the towel we have would be $100 and i like to keep things minimal i think we only own about 6. All of our Bedding might be a few hundred and the $20,000 we are covered for is over-insuring for us so would easily cover these things anyway, we were only going to take out $15,000 worth of cover
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 18-07-2013 at 21:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ugh I am so underinsured, I keep meaning to get it sorted out but it's one of those jobs that just end up on the permanent 'some other time' list.
    Indigo I'm with you - I could spend several thousand replacing linen e.g. King size bed we have 3 sets of sheets, mattress protector, quilt, pillows probably easy $2k. If I have Sheridan stuff now I'm not going to want to replace it with Big W!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (18-07-2013)