+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default The story of DS2 - **Trigger warning**

I was debating whether or not to share my story as it's quite long but I have decided to go ahead. It may help someone else out there. I had never heard of anything like what I went through before so maybe someone else will feel less alone and also find help they need.

The Story of Brody...

Due to his big size the doctor decided I should be induced early. One dr said 37 weeks but the next dr I saw said to wait. I had planned to have a natural midwife led birth. So at 39 weeks and 3 days ( a whole 4 days early) I went to hospital to be induced.

I was 3 cm dilated on arrival and they broke my waters at 10 am. Labour didn't start itself so I was given drugs to bring on contractions. After an hour I decided on an epidural. That helped a bit. About 5 hours later I was fully dilated and ready to push. Brody was posterior. My first was posterior and I delivered him with the help of a vacuum so I wasn't too worried. The midwife figured he would turn front to back the way it is meant to be. After an hour and a half of pushing they could finally see his head. But it was now side ways which is not a good position at all. The pain became unbearable despite the epidural and the doctor was called. Since I had already given birth vaginally once before they decided on a forceps delivery in theatre and if that didn't look possible then an emergency c section.

They prepped me for theatre. Promised me my own room after (a sign it was going to be bad) and took me in. They put my legs up in stirrups and they were pushed up so high.They put up a sheet so i couldnt see anything. I was told that's not normal for a forceps delivery but incase of the need of a c section.then the dr started with the forceps to turn him to a position that would be easier for him to get out. All this time I had to be pushing my hardest to get him out. So they managed to get his head out but the cord was dangerously tight around his neck. They had to get him out immediately as they couldn't move the cord or cut it. It was too late at this point for a c section. He just had to come out. So they tried to pull him out and his shoulders got stuck. This caused him to pull his head back into me. So then it got desperate and they had to get him out no matter what. So I was cut, forceps were used, my legs were pushed back to my head, and a midwife jumped up trying to push my stomach from the top. She wasn't strong enough so a man had to jump on and do it. In the meantime his heart rate was dropping and dropping. Finally they got him out and he wasn't breathing. I thought nothing of it as babies come out not crying. the dr had put him on my chest (the sheet got pulled down by the man jumping on my stomach) so I touched him with my finger. At the time I didn't know the dr had just thrown him up there to attend to me and so they could grab him. I lost a lot of blood and painted the four walls and everyone in the theatre with blood.They whisked him to the resuscitation table and worked on him for 4 mins before his heart started properly. the doctors started the process of sewing me up which took a very long time. The CPR broke 5 ribs. His arms weren't moving when they got him breathing so he was whisked away with DH to the special care nursery. They had to check his shoulders were back in place as they had probably dislocated and they discovered that his collar bone was also broken. He was tested for infections and oxygen levels. The shock caused him to lose the reflex to grasp fingers and the reflex to suck, slowly these came back over the next few days.

I didn't get to meet him until he was 8 hours old. He was wheeled to my room so I could see him. He had a drip and nasal tube to his tummy to feed. He was in special care for 2 days. He had bruising to his eye, ear and forehead. Red rims around his eyes from the pressure of the delivery.I had a third degree tear and lots of bruising internally and externally. A bruised coccyx and grazes on my buttocks from the delivery.

I was finally able to breastfeed him after 3 days, but he was in pain and I was in pain and. I made a tough decision to bottle feed. It was more important for us both to heal that struggle feeding.

you would think that would be enough for one person to handle, but the story continues.

I was discharged with Brody after 6 days. He healed well and got the all clear at a 3 week check up. After 3 weeks of only holding him to feed him, sponge baths and not leaving the house because he couldn't go in the car seat we were told we could treat him as a normal baby!

From the day I was discharged I was very sick with no appetite and diarrhea. I went to the doctors numerous time over the next few weeks with no answers. Maybe it was IBS, maybe it was injuries from the birth. After 5 weeks I could barely function. I was in the toilet every half an hour. I was exhausted. my husband took me to emergency. I was immediately put on a drip and treated for a super bug called Clostridium Difficile. I spent 6 days in hospital. Pretty much in quarantine on a drip for fluids and antibiotics to kill the bug. going to the toilet 30 times a day is exhausting. Add to that the pain of a third degree tear. NOT FUN. I refused visitors. MY mum and my husband looked after Brody and our 5 year old son. I saw my baby twice in six days. I cried every day. Surely I had gone through enough.Going home was amazing, but I was still very week so my mum stayed and my husband took more time off work.

Things started to look up. I was on the mend. Then on my husbands birthday the diarrhea returned. You can have several relapses of C diff before you are "cured". Pretty much it is when you have NO good bacteria in your intestinal tract and only these evil bad ones. I went to the after hours GP and knew which antibiotics to get so I got on top of it.

I had a sore leg for a couple of weeks but a few days after my relapse I woke in the night with pins and needles and could hardly work. I knew something was wrong. I went straight to emergency. A few scans later it was discovered I had two blood clots in my leg. I was given clexane injections to administer myself and had to go back to the hospital in another week to check on it. The clots were still there but smaller so I was on the mend. It was after that emergency visit that I really started to lose it. I swore and threw things and broke down in front of my parents and my inlaws. not something I would do as I usually keep my emotions to myself.

a couple of weeks after that I had trouble breathing and my father took me to emergency. I swore I had a clot in my lung. When I got to hospital they said I was having a panic attack and that I had chest pain because I had actually pulled a muscle. Phew.

so really I had been through enough at that point. A couple of weeks later though, I was thinking how great it was to be on the mend. I woke up at 4am not able to get comfy. My back just felt out. Not surprising after the beating my body had recently taken. But the pain got worse and spread to my chest. I got up to feed my baby at 5am but had to get the hubby up to finish it. Whilst he fed the baby I sat on the lounge in pain. My chest was killing me. He said he would call his parents and then take me to hospital when they got here. I was in so much pain I took matters into my own hands and called an ambulance. They took me to hospital and I was eventually diagnosed with gall stones and a gall bladder infection. They would operate that night. At 9pm I was taken to theatre. I was wheeled into theatre and the anaesthetist asked for my arm to give me the drugs to put me to sleep and I freaked out. Refused to give him my arm. Refused the surgery. I was taken back to my room and discharged the next day. I tried a low fat diet for awhile but had another attack and ended up back in hospital. So I decided to have it out. I was brave and much better prepared and have now had the gall bladder out. I feel like a new person.

So that is where the horror story ends. I am now back on track. Not 100% healthy as I still have some tummy issues but way better than I was. I now have post-natal depression but that's not surprising really. My baby boy is adorable. He is happy and healthy and the most beautiful boy and our family is now complete.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to heymegz For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds absolutely horrific, I'm in shock just reading it.

Congratulations to you and your husband on the birth of your son. I have everything crossed that the infection doesn't come back and you can continue to heal from your ordeal. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a very similar birth for ds and for this birth I have to have a csection. I had massive problems with my tear repairing properly and still have problems with scar tissue......what you go through for your kids right! Hope you and your family are doing well!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hugs and thank you for sharing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my gosh, how absolutely terrifying! So glad you both recovered and are all doing well now

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds incredibly traumatic! I'm so sorry you had such a horrendous experience but do glad you and Brody are healing.

Was he a big baby after all, that is, was the induction necessary in the end?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow, what a rollercoaster for you and your family. Glad to hear you are bow doing better and able to enjoy your newest addition. Thankyou for sharing

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing your story. Big hugs and take care of yourself x

Thanks
    Reviews
    He was 9lb13 54 cms long. My fundal height was 45cms the day I delivered. I am not a big person so it was hard carrying such a load. I don't think I should've been allowed to get so big

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for sharing your story it is absolutely horrific, but nonetheless imformative.
    I am glad things are much better for you now.