Closed Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Prostitutes disrespect themselves and their bodies by having sex for money. I know feminism is about choice but I think women choosing to be prostitutes makes it harder for the women who are trying to gain respect via other means. It disempowers women as a whole.... reinforces the idea that they are subservient to men. It makes it just that like bit more acceptable to ogle a woman walking past in the street.

People may claim prostitutes have the power and customers are respectful. I don't buy that occurs in the majority of cases. A male may speak nice to a prostitute when he is with her (... He doesn't want to get thrown out!) but when he goes to the pub with his mates he's telling them how he ****** your **** and they are giving him high-5's in return. (I overhead many a conversation in my younger days. And no I don't approve I was disgusted by the men as well).

So to answer the question ... It's hard to respect someone who puts their self in a position where they are disrespected by others.
    I think this is an interesting point and I can absolutely see why people think this way. But, I think we need to look at cause and effect here -is it the act of prostitution that causes this lack of respect, or is it the social conditioning and stigma associated with prostitution that causes the lack of respect?

IMO there is nothing inherently self-disrespecting about sex work. I see it in the same vein as someone providing a relaxation massage - you are using your body to provide physical pleasure to someone else who is paying for it. If we decided that all masseuses were disrespecting themselves and then spread this idea throughout society, chances are you would see people in the pub high-fiving their mates and talking about the masseuse in a derogatory way. I don't think it would be fair in this instance to blame the masseuse for the disrespect of herself - or indeed of women in general - just as I don't think it is fair to blame sex workers for the lack of respect that society shows them. I also don't think it's fair to extrapolate that and blame them for contributing to the lack of respect for women in society -lack of respect for sex workers is a symptom of lack of respect for women, not a cause.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

CicerFabaceaexxxx  (18-07-2013),gizmoduckus  (18-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (18-07-2013),VicPark  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why are we all assuming that prostitutes are women and clients are men? What about male prostitutes and female clients? Do people feel the same way, like we are degrading men? Or is it less shameful when a man gets paid for sex?

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (18-07-2013),dancingchipmunk  (19-07-2013),JungleMum  (18-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (18-07-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (18-07-2013),RobinSparkles  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry to burst some people's bubble but its simply NOT the case that most men who frequent brothels are disrespectful or "use" women. It's a transaction the men are usually highly appreciative for. It is not uncommon for women to enjoy sex with clients from time to time. Female Orgasms in brothels happen!! Women do not always feel used. In fact they often feel empowered by their job and to be the ones in control.

Men who frequent brothels are just like the men you see in your local cafe on s Saturday morning, on the tram, in your work place. The real shame is that many are married with families and you would be shocked if you knew how many "unsuspecting" men use these services. This is one of the saddest things about the industry. It makes cheating in a non emotional way quite possible. Other than these men there are lonely widows, men with disabilities, unattractive men, highly sexed men, men seeking experience, men from all cultural backgrounds, but rarely complete pigs who do to women's bodies whatever they chose. Street based sex work is a completely different story but the fact is thar the majority of workers in Australia work within a legal industry.

I keep commenting here because I want to do my bit to break down stereo types and show some of the reality of the situation.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sophisto For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (18-07-2013),beebs  (18-07-2013),CakeyMumma  (18-07-2013),CicerFabaceaexxxx  (18-07-2013),dancingchipmunk  (19-07-2013),gizmoduckus  (18-07-2013),JungleMum  (18-07-2013),Mod-Degrassi  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Why are we all assuming that prostitutes are women and clients are men? What about male prostitutes and female clients? Do people feel the same way, like we are degrading men? Or is it less shameful when a man gets paid for sex?
    Absolutely the same thing. I don't feel any different - to me it's still wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Lets face it, there are a lot of men out there, using prostitutes behind their partners backs. Why is it awful to be the "mistress", but ok if they are paid for it?

Quote Originally Posted by moongazer View Post
    Why should they have to "need" it?
    They should be allowed to just "want" it.

No not shameful. Societal norms and views are shameful. It is those which attempt to bring shame to the profession.

I don't see what is wrong with sex being a transaction if both parties consent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Lets face it, there are a lot of men out there, using prostitutes behind their partners backs. Why is it awful to be the "mistress", but ok if they are paid for it?
    To be perfectly honest, I don't think either the mistress or the sex worker in that instance is awful. The man has a contract with his wife, he is the *only* one cheating. How on earth does it become another woman's responsibility to keep someone else's marriage together? IMO all responsibility and blame lies with the cheating party, not with the person they are using to cheat.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (18-07-2013),gizmoduckus  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
    The real shame is that many are married with families and you would be shocked if you knew how many "unsuspecting" men use these services. This is one of the saddest things about the industry. It makes cheating in a non emotional way quite possible.
    I think that is the most shameful thing about the whole thing as well.

As to street walkers etc, they are the only types of prostitutes I have ever known, and as you can imagine, things didn't turn our well for a few of them. One of them committed suicide at 15 after being kicked out of home and working at the "Wall" from 14 years of age. A tragedy.

But I do feel that when you make sex a commodity that is sold then there will always be an underground seedy element. Just like there is with cigarettes and alcohol and prescription meds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    To be perfectly honest, I don't think either the mistress or the sex worker in that instance is awful. The man has a contract with his wife, he is the *only* one cheating. How on earth does it become another woman's responsibility to keep someone else's marriage together?
    I see what you are saying, but it takes two, the man is by far the person wholly responsible, but I still feel that there is a boundary that the other person crosses when having an affair with a married person - man or woman.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (18-07-2013),VicPark  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I see what you are saying, but it takes two, the man is by far the person wholly responsible, but I still feel that there is a boundary that the other person crosses when having an affair with a married person - man or woman.
    I still don't see how this can be blamed on the sex worker. There are all sorts of perfectly innocent products and services out there that people can use for immoral purposes (extreme example - you can use a hammer to cause all sorts of bodily harm). It is the person who uses them in that way who is immoral, not the supplier of the product or service.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    I still don't see how this can be blamed on the sex worker. There are all sorts of perfectly innocent products and services out there that people can use for immoral purposes (extreme example - you can use a hammer to cause all sorts of bodily harm). It is the person who uses them in that way who is immoral, not the supplier of the product or service.
    I agree