+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardley View Post
    Massive weight loss with my DD also. No matter what I did (and I tried everything) I just had no milk. She became a full time bottle baby and I now have a beautiful and happy 10 month old but it was hard going for a while.

If I have another bub and I'm experiencing the same issues I won't hesitate to go straight to bottle. All the trying to get anything which amounted to nothing, the stress and the enormous weight loss like i had with my DD is just not worth it.
    it's tough going. Learning to breastfeed then doing it successfully is one of the hardest things I've ever done. My first was bottle fed for different reasons though, and she's A-OK.
    The most important thing is that they are fed- this leads to a happy bub and a happy mum, no matter what method.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Yardley  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    it's tough going. Learning to breastfeed then doing it successfully is one of the hardest things I've ever done. My first was bottle fed for different reasons though, and she's A-OK.
    The most important thing is that they are fed- this leads to a happy bub and a happy mum, no matter what method.
    Completely agree. My first bub was bottle fed from 8mths and is perfectly fine

Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Completely agree. My first bub was bottle fed from 8mths and is perfectly fine

What! They didn't sprout a third leg??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    What! They didn't sprout a third leg??
    Nope, I was totally expecting horns or a constant runny nose. He is normal as can be. So weird

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    This is true

In my case though bubs lost more than 10% of her birth weight and had rare wet nappies so I had no choice but to put her on formula.
    Same here, I was determined to breastfeed this time but after 6 weeks of pumping, domperidone and having to top up with formula for 90% of her feed volume, I came to realize it just wasn't meant to be. I starved her for 2 weeks before we worked out how little milk she was getting, lost way more than 10%, very dry etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    I can't help sorry OP.
    I just wanted to say though, the amount you express is not an indictor of whether or not you have enough milk. If baby is feeding well, gaining weight and has enough wet nappies, then you have enough milk.

I could express so much milk with ds1, but if be lucky to get 20mls a day with ds2. Ds2 is now 26mths and is still breastfed .

Best of luck op xx

Thanks for your post. What I was actually trying to say re low mLs when expressing, was that even though I expressed around the clock it still did not result in more milk production and bub lost more and more weight. A common thought pattern is the more you express the more milk you make...not true.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you to everyone who contributed to this post. I think the hardest part is accepting that your body doesn't work properly. With an influx of hormones during pregnancy/birth it's difficult emotionally to accept that you cannot breast feed. Breast may be best. But thank goodness we have other options. xx
    Last edited by newtoarea; 18-07-2013 at 20:02. Reason: typo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to newtoarea For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoarea View Post
    Thanks for your post. What I was actually trying to say re low mLs when expressing, was that even though I expressed around the clock it still did not result in more milk production and bub lost more and more weight. A common thought pattern is the more you express the more milk you make...not true.
    That sounds frustrating. But I would say that's not correct either from my personal experience. I tried to build up supply by expressing but would only get an extra 20mls a day. My bub was all getting enough and is still fed at 26mths

I've always been told to build supply to feed feed feed not express. Mummy instinct is right though so if you feel you don't have enough milk then you can decide What's the best course of action dont let anyone tell you what your doing is not good enough. As long as bub is feed and happy, then mum is happy too xx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (18-07-2013)