+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default No breast milk with Baby #1

Hello. I didn't know where to post this thread. I am sure there must be many women like me so please let me know where you are (which forum posting).

My first baby was conceived via IVF in 2011. I had an easy pregnancy but did notice my boobs never changed whilst pregnant. By Day 4 my milk had not come in and I started to worry as every nurse would ask if my boobs felt hard yet. No, No, No were my responses. Day 6 after pumping regular, putting bub to breast every other moment and taking domperidone, I still had no breast milk and bub had lost more than 10% body weight.

Now for all you breast feeding goddess I just want to make it very clear that not all women produce milk. I've read many articles where women state they don't believe women can't make milk. Well, guess what? I can't!!! I pumped every minute of the day, had a lactation consultant, ate/drank herbs, took prescription drugs and got a miserable 40ml of milk. And yes, ofcourse I gave this to my bub. I was desperate to breast feed and ended up doing so for 9 months. Still after pumping around the clock...no breast milk.

I am now 15 weeks pregnant with #2 and no breast changes. I don't expect it will be different from last time but I would like it to be. I have read about breast hypoplasia and will discuss my possible lack of glandular tissue with the midwife at my next visit.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area? Breast feeding is spoken about as though women have a choice whether to or not. But some women have no choice.

Thank you

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have a friend who has breast hypoplasia, (she used 90% donor milk to feed her bub) she is not on this forum though, I will try to get a contact from her to give to you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

newtoarea  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No advice but I was one of those women that had no milk. I would pump both boobs for an hour and get a measly 30mls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    No advice but I was one of those women that had no milk. I would pump both boobs for an hour and get a measly 30mls
    Ditto FTM. It's one of those things that you assume will happen quite naturally but it doesn't for everyone. I was lucky to even get 30mls :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All I can say is you well and truly gave it everything you could have and I think you should feel immensely proud of yourself for that!

I doubt that I could have persevered had I experienced your circumstances.

My milk came in on day 5 and I too was pumping like a maniac and taking herbs.

I never really was able to get very much when expressing however I knew my supply was there because;
    - Breasts became very hard and felt full
    - I would leak all the time
    But most importantly:
    - DS had huge weight gains once my milk was in
    - plenty of heavy wet nappies

I think it is too easy for those who have successfully BF to spout off facts and figures but only you know what your body is doing. You need to trust your own instincts in these situations.

I truly hope you have the BF journey you are hoping for next time around.

All you can do is educate yourself, prepare mentally but once bub is here you just have to listen to yourself.

Good luck! 🍀

Oooh and also wanted to mention that missie_mack is a wealth of knowledge in this area...perhaps PM her?? I believe she was unable to BF her first but had success with other babies....

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-07-2013),newtoarea  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardley View Post
    Ditto FTM. It's one of those things that you assume will happen quite naturally but it doesn't for everyone. I was lucky to even get 30mls :-(
    I can't help sorry OP.
    I just wanted to say though, the amount you express is not an indictor of whether or not you have enough milk. If baby is feeding well, gaining weight and has enough wet nappies, then you have enough milk.

I could express so much milk with ds1, but if be lucky to get 20mls a day with ds2. Ds2 is now 26mths and is still breastfed .

Best of luck op xx

Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    I can't help sorry OP.
    I just wanted to say though, the amount you express is not an indictor of whether or not you have enough milk. If baby is feeding well, gaining weight and has enough wet nappies, then you have enough milk.

I could express so much milk with ds1, but if be lucky to get 20mls a day with ds2. Ds2 is now 26mths and is still breastfed .

Best of luck op xx

Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub
    This is true

In my case though bubs lost more than 10% of her birth weight and had rare wet nappies so I had no choice but to put her on formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardley View Post
    I'm lucky to get 30ml now, and I'm bf my 10 month old. Though it may not be the case for you ladies, I just wanted to clarify that how much you can pump is not an indication of supply
    I had supply issues to start with and worked hard to increase it. I was able to drop top up feeds by 16 weeks- thanks to fenugreek, lactation cookies, bf tea, oats and linseed.
    OP, obviously it's not going to work for everyone but I do wish you all the best with your bub. While I think BF is important it's not the be all and end all- you can get donor milk or formula feed and will still have a healthy bub- as long as they are fed, that's the main thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    This is true

In my case though bubs lost more than 10% of her birth weight and had rare wet nappies so I had no choice but to put her on formula.
    This was the same for me- so I HAD to supplement. I was very lucky to be able to stop once I'd built my supply enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    This was the same for me- so I HAD to supplement. I was very lucky to be able to stop once I'd built my supply enough.
    Massive weight loss with my DD also. No matter what I did (and I tried everything) I just had no milk. She became a full time bottle baby and I now have a beautiful and happy 10 month old but it was hard going for a while.

If I have another bub and I'm experiencing the same issues I won't hesitate to go straight to bottle. All the trying to get anything which amounted to nothing, the stress and the enormous weight loss like i had with my DD is just not worth it.