+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tax for Home Run Business

I don't know if this is in the right section or not, if not, please do move it, mods!

Last financial year my DH started an online business that we run from home and we're not sure what we need to do about it tax-wise. Apparently, according to him, we don't need to charge or pay GST until we've made $75k. Well, we may have made about $5k and spent about $10k on stock but he didn't save a single invoice! I'll be managing that side of things since I'm home with bub now, but what about last year?? I'm not sure if we need to do anything about the business for tax time or not since we've lost money - but can't prove it.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? We'll be going to somewhere like H&R Block to have them do our taxes, but don't know what paperwork to take with us - if any.

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Does have an abn?
    If he did then you could do it your self on ato website. You have to business and professional items schedule , profit and loss form and regular tax form
    But that doesnt solve the problem of missing receipts!!
    He could do it any way and put expenses as $10,000 and hope that won't get audited- it is unlikely - but still a chance
    Sorry I am still at work maybe someone else can take over
    Last edited by Kazza78; 17-07-2013 at 18:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe start fresh this year and do quarterly bas statements with payg tax
    And document everything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So he didn't keep the receipts for the stock?

How did he purchase the stock? Can he contact suppliers and ask for a tax invoice. Or alternatively go through your bank statements and pull out the amounts and record them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there anyway to track the purchases ie credit card statements, emailed receipts from online purchases, bank statements, paypal history anything that can prove you made the purchases?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh snap NancyBlackett

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (17-07-2013)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    He needs an abn probably just a sole trader. And yep you don't have to register for get if revenue less then $75k but it means you have to write on your invoice no gst/not reportable for the tax code

We just work off our bank statements and tally up income and all the different expenses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have an ABN and paid for everything via PayPal or bank transfers so could show it, and could request invoices as well. Is it worth doing the return ourselves or getting help?

Thanks again for your replies!

sent from my magical device

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i always get our accountant to do it, I have a spreadsheet that I have made that I put all the bank transaction in and it telly everything up - if you want me to email it you im happy to - just pm me.

i give the file to my accountant and he works it out for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get help!

And advice for next year. As the business grows it is vital to make sure you have a good handle on things. As you'll be doing it while on mat leave you'll have time to research things, but it never hurts to get some professional advice as well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

angelini  (17-07-2013)