+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Resuming full time after working part time

Anyone familiar with this, know the process?

I work in government. I took 12 months parental leave after having ds2 then went back to work for 12mths at 4 days a week instead of my usual 5 day week. I have had a person contracted doing the 1 day a week I dropped. At the time I was told I could do the modified hours for 12 months then resume back to full time.

My 12 months is up in March but I want to stay on my reduced hours to work in with picking ds1 up from school and being able to take him to football and ds2 will be going to 3yr kindy 2 afternoons a week next year also etc so I would like to finish in time for school pickup.

What happens if I continue on the 30.6 hr week instead of the resuming back to the 38 hr week? My line manager and team are fine with whatever I decide as having the person on a 3mth contract continuous for the 1 day a week has worked well but not sure how it sits with human resources. My one colleague seems to think I will lose the 1 day a week permanently and my contract will be changed to reflect the reduced hours and I would only be able to get the other day back should i require it, if it becomes available (ie the contracted person in that position's contract expires)

I have emailed HR but wondering if anyone knows how it works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use to work for QLD gov and if by 2 years we hadn't resumed our full time hours then we would be a permanent part-time. If we ever wanted to go back to full- time we'd have to wait for a job to open up to apply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work for a state government department and we are on `parental contracts' until our youngest starts school. So, we are able to work part time until our youngest starts school and then resume our previous full time hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I work for a state government department and we are on `parental contracts' until our youngest starts school. So, we are able to work part time until our youngest starts school and then resume our previous full time hours.
    I am able to keep my reduced hours and have someone else contracted for the day per week I don't want back. I can pick up those hours again later if I wish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just realised this was an old post, it came up in my side feed as current. Strange.