+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Lightbulb Please give me tips on keeping your house tidy.....mine is driving me bonkers :(

Hi

From the title...im really overwhelmed...my messy shambles of a house is really starting to get to me, its quite depressing. i feel silly posting but its actually making me angry and despondant. its that bad at the moment that im thinking i need to take a couple of annual leave days to tidy it up!!!!
    i work three days....so nothing gets done on those days besides the general kitchen tidy up, dishes etc..come thursday i need to start doing the washing again...its not just toys etc its everything, nothing is in its place there is just $h!t on tables, floors, benches etc....mess everywhere, clothes on the floor mine & DH etc etc etc....every single room in a big 4 bedroom house. Usually i can manage to just pack stuff away but cupboards are overflowing with staff , its needs a proper overhaul....but the idea of taking days off work to do this is appalling and i find that if i DO try to spend the neccasary hours on it on days i dont work my DS ends up stuck on the ipad all day (which i hate) and DD follows me around crying for me to pay attention to her.....so its frustrating for me and them and i give up....DH often works 6 days a week so on his day off i like us to go out together or we tend to have something on.

what am i doing wrong? ive been back at work 3 months and its driving me crazy. please give me your tips. I was hoping to get a cleaner once a fortnight at some point as well....but day to day what do u do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you don't live in your house, it won't get dirty! Problem solved!

(It will get dusty, though, which presents its own problems.)

Subbing because, dude, I could use tips too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a messy person by nature and our house has very limited storage which sucks- but I run a business from home, so I had to get it under control. DH and i used a week of leave so we could tag team looking after ds and did a huge clean and sort. We had 3 large packing boxes and took them into each room. They were keep, donate and throw out. We emptied everything out of cupboards and sorted them- pulled the boxes out of the room and cleaned shelves walls floors surfaces etc.
    we then put all the keep stuff back and bagged the rest. Repeat for each room. Once we were at square 1 with each space we wrote up a cleaning roster for each day. Its about 1.5 hours cleaning per day, but each job can be done quickly whilst playing with ds etc. if I didn't run a daycare from home and have very high cleaning standards for that, each days cleaning would take a lot less time. As we've gone along its gotten easier as it becomes habit- we don't always get it all done, but next time we do the stuff we missed- so it all gets done regularly.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babybabycakes For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (17-07-2013),jfblady72  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, you know what needs to be done, and you will need todo it, I'm afraid to say.
    My biggest tips I have is to have a place for everything, and have everything in its place when it's not getting used. Also, clean up as you go!! So once breakfast is done, clean up and don't start something else until that's done etc.
    Finish the laundry, so actually fold and put it all away, then it's not accumulating and making more jobs to do.

Seriously, go through your stuff and get rid of the stuff you don't need. I get rid of stuff I will never use and haven't used in a certain amount of time (6 months). Not having unwanted/unused stuff accumulating and cluttering the house makes it SO much easier!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rarity For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (17-07-2013),jfblady72  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    De-clutter, spend one day being ruthless with things you don't need/want anymore. I find the less you have the less you need to keep in order.

I vacuum my lounge room everyday ( takes 5 mins) and sweep everyday ( takes 2 mins) so that if I'm busy for a few days and don't get a chance or someone comes over I know the floors are relatively clean.

Dsd room i honestly just chuck all her toys and bits and bobs in a toy box and storage containers so it looks tidy, it's not worth sorting the toys because they just end up everywhere anyway.

I have baby wipes everywhere, if the bathroom looks abit manky and I don't have time I just wipe over the surfaces, same with the coffee table and I keep on top of the kitchen benches ( I put away any food type items and just have the kettle and toaster out) that way it always looks clean even if there's dirty dishes.

I say start with the lounge/kitchen. Anywhere that you spend the most time in, if those rooms are clean I'm not to fussed on if the others are abit untidy.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i only have one kid and working 3 days and have gound myself in a similar situation.

my advice is to off load the kids to someone for a weekend and get DH and you to clean and sort everything!!! sort out the cupboards going room to room - things to keep, donate, throw away.

The things to keep can go into boxes for sorting later on. Then clean everything - vaccum, dust etc. Eitehr do a room each or an activity each. Get all the washing going and use the dryer to get on top of everything

If you have time come back to the box of stuff that needs a home and work through them - or just do them a bit at a time.

Once it is clean, I find spending 40min first thing in the morning to get things tidy is a huge help.

On the nights before I work I put a load of washing in machine just before bed ready to turn on as I walk out the door. Washing on the line is brought in and put away. Dinner is made and I do enough for the night I am work (so we end up eating the same meal 2-3times but so what at least its proper food). I make lunches and pack day care bags etc all the night before so I just have to put the stuff from the fidge into the lunch box.

Beacuse we are out all day T,W,T with work I find the place doesn't get too messy wtih toys and stuff.

The mornings I am home I do a quick tidy up, wipe down bathroom surfaces, clean toilets and quickly vaccum/dust (we have fire place that makes a heap of mess)

There are bigger jobs that dont get done as often as they should - like cleaining fridges, oven, cleaning wardrobes etc, but the house it tidy enough that I don't feel overwhelmed and the rest i let slide. I am not a tidy person by nature so its really forced but i find in the end i feel less stressed and am hapoer.

I am about to buy a big storage thing from IKEA with tubs to store all the toys and junk that seems to be swallowing every spare space we have

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    JB...I'm with you...my house is untidy, I just can't keep up with it all and it is depressing at times. It generally adds to my sense being out of control of my life...it seems to interfere with my ability to relax and just enjoy my Ds.

I have been thinking about getting a cleaner for a couple of hours a fortnight but I also feel like I should be able to cope with it on my own...plus I don't want to part with the money.

I am now getting to the point where I feel like the extra money spent on a cleaner would be worth it for myself and my family...
    Or, could you hire a cleaner for a one-off spring clean to get things in order with the aim of making it a bit easier to keep it tidy/clean after that.

It is hard though...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Albert01; 17-07-2013 at 11:21.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (17-07-2013)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Albert - I was the same as you and i hired a cleaner for about 6hrs and we both cleaned together. Honestly, she was so slow and annoying that in the end I decided I would say the $60-80 and spend it on myself for massages or whatever I wanted.

I still think that once a yr I will hire a cleaner for a bond clean though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do a search on cleaning schedules, there are some fantastic and so simple, and I mean so simple it makes you wonder why you hadn't done it before. I was expecting some detailed schedule but they have just simple do this thing on this day once a week type stuff......magic. You still have to get off your butt and have a bit of self discipline though, hence my house is a disaster right now after two weeks of acute OHSS.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Des1102 For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can totally relate to this thread.....i have never been a messy/untidy person by nature but since having DD and going back to work full time i just cant get on top of my housework. I dont think it helps that we are currently in the middle of renovating our entire house. My kitchen table no longer exists due to DH having all his tools and cr@p on it for the reno's which i cant stand. He says he will put them out in his shed....once he puts the shed up like thats going to happen any time soon! My DH doesnt really care if the house is a mess, his excuse is.."we have a kid, what do you expect?" argh drives me insane!

i love babybabycakes idea with having 3 boxes (chuck, keep, donate), this is something that i think im just going to have to do, especially as DH and I are ttc #2 and i do not want our house to be in the state it is with a new baby!