+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im a Janome groupie myself. I had to borrow a friends brother one time and I just couldnt warm to it. Janome are having sales at the moment and $800 for sewing machine and overlocker is pretty good.

I'm not sure where you live but see who does the servicing locally. My town have local Janome servicers but Brother machines have to get freighted to Townsville or Brisbane for repairs/services.

Once you get used to threading the machine you wont even use the auto treading thingy. Plus, modest priced overlockers dont come with threaders and you'll be doing that by yourself anyway

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Threading a sewing machine is nothing. Seriously they give u a guide. Even threading my janome overlocker i dont have an issue with. The thread guide is on the machine!

Unless you want to do rolled hems and making clothes that dont have lining then an overlocker isnt necessary. A simple zigzag stitch is a decent re-enforcement.

Personally i'd Start off with the seeing machine and if you feel its limiting for projects you do ALL the time then get an overlocker

Braiiiiins
    *60kilos lost*

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also start with a sewing machine first then if you need an over locker get one.

I make quilts, bibs, burp cloths and am venturing into clothes and I don't use an over locker. However, I don't sell my items, so you may find you might want one. If someone gave me one, I would use it, but would probably use it less than 10% of the total time I spend sewing. All depends why you want it an what for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it were for personal use then the over locker wouldn't really be necessary. However if I was buying something I would want it made to a high standard.

If you are wanting to do it as a new business perhaps start with just the sewing machine and teach yourself to sew or even do a class or two then once you having got the sewing to a high standard then I would get an overlocker. I would hate to outlay all the cost of the machines then decide its not for you iykwim.

My sister started a kids clothing label a few years ago and it's hard work and eventually life got to busy and she gave it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about making something like this.. Would you just use a normal sewing machine for this??? Thanks for all your advice so far..

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1374037031.778213.jpg

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yup just a normal sewing machind

Braiiiiins
    *60kilos lost*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I agree. Very cute!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just cut out my first bib template.. Gonna be a bit of trial & error... I think the head part might be a bit small but we will see how I go

Attachment 39406

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nice - are you sewing it right sides together then turning inside out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep that was my plan... I'm a bit unsure of what to use as the backing fabric... Was going to use terry towelling but you can't get it anymore apparently...