+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sewing machine help??

Hi guys,

I'm learning to sew for a new business venture... I'm looking into buying a sewing machine & over locker. I would like one that automatically threads the needle as I remember that being a nightmare in my home economics days.

Can anyone recommend a good sewing machine that is beginner friendly???

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a Husqvarna Opal but its a bit pricey. It has an automatic threader, and also automatically cuts for you when you finish. I love it so far!

Most cheap overlockers are hard to thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Janome have specials on at the moment. I just bought one for $494 rrp $899. The salesperson said the same one is coming on special soon where you pay rrp and for $1 you get an overlocker. Think it's 2160d or something. DH read a review and the bad points were its becoming a discontinued model and isn't as fast as others.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Honestly, buy 2 good second hand ones, thread one black, one white and you should never need to re-thread. Mum has a 20 yo old janome one, I gave her my aldi one (rebranded janome) she is fine with them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootedMumma For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you I have seen on a website they do a package where you can get a janome overlocker and machine for around $800.

I might go in and talk to someone. I just hate going in places when I know nothing. I don't want to get talked into buying something really expensive if I don't need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depends what you are making if you need an overlocker or not. I never use one. You said in another thread you were doing bibs and burp cloths, would you really need an overlocker for that. I make them and never use an overlocker. A good quality computerized machine is a good investment. I have a Jamone DC3018 been using it for my business for nearly 4 years and still going strong.
    Last edited by WiseOldOwl; 17-07-2013 at 09:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking bibs, burp cloths, cot comforters, change mats, play mats, taggies & heat packs.

My mum has suggested an over locker for a nice finish... What does an over locker actually do?? I feel so stupid, but I really have no idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    For a beginner, a basic Brother sewing machine would be fine (I think I got mine on sale from Target for about $150). It has about 12 stitch options and a button hole function too. I also found a Horn sewing cabinet online for $150 which was an absolute bargain. It has a hydrolic lift for the sewing machine, cubby for the overlocker, draws and storage as well as fold down work benches.

Eta: I use my overlocker to do hems and edging, which is ideal for bibs, clothes etc. That said, I see an overlocker as a bit fidley when smth doesn't go to plan (4 giant spools of thread are on mine).

Good luck!

TTC as of August 2013
    Last edited by thesmallestmeasure; 17-07-2013 at 10:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Threading an over locker can be tricky but not impossible. One trick I use if I have to rethread is to knot the new cotton onto the existing thread and gently ease it through the machine- then you only have to do the needles at the end.
    Overlocker gives a very neat strong finish to seams and raw edges. I finish all my raw edges before assembling garments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    I was thinking bibs, burp cloths, cot comforters, change mats, play mats, taggies & heat packs.

My mum has suggested an over locker for a nice finish... What does an over locker actually do?? I feel so stupid, but I really have no idea!
    So all of the items will be enclosed I take it? Meaning no raw edges visible, sewn with the right sides together with a gap for turning then top stitched. If that's the case then you don't need an overlocker. If you are making clothes or items where the seam is going to be seen then a overlocker would be a good investment but otherwise it's not necessary.