+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fixing an overbite in my 30s

I have an overbite which I've known for a few years now.
    I do remember my dentist telling me I need it fix by age 40. I'm 33.
    So I've been thinking I should get if fix.
    Does anyone know if an overbite can be fix without braces?
    I would feel weird having braces at my age.
    I wonder what will be the long term affect if I don't fix my overbite.
    If anyone could shed some light that would be great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm 33 now but had braces at 24 because I had an overbite. It wasn't so bad having braces as an adult and the results have been amazing and I haven't regretted it for one second.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    DD is only young but she is having hers fixed through surgery. The plates just didn't work for her and her overbite is really bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's for the replies. I wonder what the surgery would be like?

How long did you have braces in? How much was it?
    I'm thinking of getting health insurance ready for it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They told me they would prefer braces and they wouldn't consider surgery for me unless Id already tried braces. I wore the braces for 2 years and a retainer for another few years just for sleeping. I actually didnt mind having braces as an adult, I thought they made me look younger . The hardest thing was avoiding certain foods that might damage or stain them. They did hurt at times when they were tightened but nothing major and I used to love having a whinge to teenagers in shops and stuff about them. 10 years ago I paid $5000 for them (not sure what they cost these days) but I was able to pay it off monthly instead of one lump sum. I would probably suggest that rather than getting private health insurance just for braces as they usually have a really long waiting period for most private health insurance companies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, you most certainly can get an overbite fixed, it is one of the more 'common' orthodontic issues.

I have recently had braces and am in my 30's. If you haven't already, I would highly recommend getting PHI with Orthodontic extras etc as braces are quite expensive, as in any retainers/plates etc that you may require.

It is really hard to give an estimate of cost when everybody's treatment varies, so you really need to see an Orthodontist for a consultation (you don't need a referral from your Dentist) and he/she will outline a treatment plan for you or even whether you're a suitable candidate and outline the cost involved. I was pregnant when my braces were put on and luckily for me the relaxin hormone from pregnancy sped up my treatment time due to the teeth shifting really quickly, so I only had my braces on for 18 months and now just wear a retainer at bedtime.

I had no surgery as such, just needed one tooth removed at the Dentist and the Orthodontist put my braces on etc, which isn't surgery. I am so happy with the results and have no regrets getting it done when I did, as it has alleviated ear and sinus issues for me as well as TMJ and bite problems which I battled with for years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    DD is having the surgery because none of teeth match properly and only 4 have a partial match. They are worried about he ability to eat in the future. We tried plates for 2 and 1/2 years and plan was braces for the next 2 years but as the plates didn't work. she only went from 12 mm to 9 in that time. While for her that was huge as she could closed her lips around her teeth for the first time it not enough.

Surgery will include cutting her bottom jaw in 2 places and adding at least 1 cm to either side. the are also talking about changing her chin and upper jaw a little. They tell me she will look totally different. It not something to take lightly. The sheer fact that she will get this done for free under public system tells you how much it is needed.

I am still coming to terms with it all. She wont have it for a few years yet and she will still need braces for 2 years before the op and maybe another year after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm looking at private health cause my hubby needs dental work too so I thought I would get the ball rolling.

Does anyone knows what happens if I don't fix my over bite?
    My teeth are all straight and the overbite isn't really major.
    But I know I have it so I want to look at all options.

I was reading around on Dr Google and what about wearing a retainer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You really need the advice of an Orthodontist, because as you can see, everybody's situation's are unique to them. It all depends on the complexity of the over-bite and issues that you have from it. What issues do you have regarding your over-bite? If it is purely aesthetic, then really, it may be more to do with self esteem issues.

One of the main issues of an over bite is that your bite isn't correct and when your bite's not correct, it can affect your jaw alignment leading to TMJ problems, headaches, migraines, sore neck. It can also affect your inner ear and sinus' and your roof palate (as you tend to breathe through your mouth etc). An over bite can also cause your teeth to wear and things like that. Again, it really is unique to each person as to what the issues will/may be if left untreated, it all depends on your make up and the complexity of your over bite etc, which will in turn impact on your treatment and treatment time.

The retainer you have probably googled *may* be Invisalign which is quite in vogue at the moment, usually for those not wanting the appearance of metal braces and also those whose treatment isn't complex etc.