+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Not really.

I don't consider myself racist but really hate off-shore call centres, because rarely can I fully understand them or they understand me. Sometimes it's not even a matter of not being able to follow because of an accent - I was trying to explain what the problem was (it was that the little phone-connecter thing attached to the wall had been ripped off at the wires) but despite calling about 5 times and getting 5 different people from other countries, none of them understood wtf I was talking about... whenever I spoke to anyone else about the problem, people who live here, they all understood what I was going on about.

It was so frustrating that none of them could understand my problem because none of them were familiar with the object I was explaining.

It also bothers me that when you sign up to a lot of companies they make the process very simple by putting you through to an Australian call-centre, but when you want to cancel or have an issue with something, you get diverted to an off-shore centre where you end up frustrated, the other person ends up frustrated and nothing is resolved.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    Its good to know they dont sens their jobs offshore, not like Aus
    Who knows - they could have??

But I went into the phone call expecting that there was going to be a language barrier as their a foreign company.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Lol if the "lovely aussie lady" hadn't hung up on her she wouldn't have been stressed out having to talk to all those terrible foreign people who cannot understand her.

I don't think she is racist though..just a bit of an ignoramus.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I agree not a racist comment so much as an ignoramus who was probably a bit stressed out.
    Language barriers can be really frustrating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Actually I would have to agree with what she's said. It is so annoying when you ring up a company and someone answers the phone and you can't understand what they are saying.

IMO it isn't a racist comment. What she's saying is if you can't communicate English properly then don't work in a call centre that talks to English speaking patrons. She's not saying an Asian for example shouldn't be working in a call centre and I'm sure she'd have no problems with that. She has a problem with people that can't speak English properly and so she can't understand them.. that's not saying they have to have perfect English.

Sorry it takes a while for me to get across what I mean lol. I don't know.. maybe it's never happened to you.. it's happened to me though.. where I've gotten a call or I've called a helpline for service and gotten someone where you have to repeat several times what you're saying because they can't understand or I can't understand them. It's extremely frustrating let me assure you.

Now if she'd said "why have Asians and Indians working in a call centre" or something like that then yes I'd say it was racist. That wasn't the case though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    I called an airline the other day and the phone call was an absolute debacle - I couldn't understand their accents and they couldn't understand mine

But....

It's a South American airline that is based in Chile, and it was regarding my upcoming flights to South America so of course the call centre operators are going to be Spanish as a first language and English as a second language.

To complain in the above situation, I think would just be intolerant and ignorant.

But it's certainly justified to complain about the fact that you can't communicate with an Australian company's call centre.
    I completely agree with this statement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's overly racist. I agree that it is frustrating especially when it's in regards to your money or a service you really rely on.
    My grandma's home phone hasn't been working for a few days now and she has called telstra several times to try and rectify the situation and it still isn't fixed. I was at her house the other day when my grandma was on the phone to someone from overseas trying to explain to them that as she is elderly and lives alone she has an alarm system that uses the phone line in case she falls or has an accident etc anyway the lady on the other end wasn't understanding her and because she is old she was getting confused and flustered and couldn't get her point across properly. My mum was there too so ended up taking over the call on my grandma's behalf but otherwise she wouldn't have gotten to a solution.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Missymoo - anything that has to start with "I'm not racist but..." will usually have racist undertones IMO its the same with "I'm not sexist but..." or the ultimate "no offence but..." We all know what follows will probably be offensive

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ButterflyMa For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How on earth is that racist?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to unsullied For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nah, I get frustrated with the same issue all the time. I don't think it's racist.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think it's racist