+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How long do I wait to naturally miscarry?

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been discussed many times...

I went for my first ultrasound today and we found that our baby had stopped growing at 7w2d (I am 9w2d) and there was no heartbeat. I still have all the signs of pregnancy at the same strength and have not had any spotting or pain. My preference is to allow my body to naturally deal with the miscarriage but I'm not sure how long I should wait before seeking medical intervention.

Also, this may sound silly but as this was my first pregnancy I have no idea; will the bleeding come on very quickly or will there be signs that allow me to prepare? I work full time and am worried that I may not get any warning.

Many thanks for your help. Feeling quite emotional but trying to be practical too...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, sorry for your loss. I went for u/s at 8w3days saw a heartbeat but bub was only size of 6w. I believe the heartbeat stopped a week later when I started bleeding like a period for three days. So it took 3weeks approx for hb to stop then bleed straight away.
    The bleeding went on for a week like a period then had 3 days if very heavy blood loss when mild contractions (cervix dilates 1cm) that is when I lost the sac and liver looking large clots. When I had the cramping, I push over the toilet. I didn't need pain tablets.
    Then brown spotting for a week

I didn't get the opportunity to ask because I bled as soon as it died, but there should be a number you can ring connected to a public women's hospital in your state to speak to a women about how much longer to wait.

Oh and not all mc are the same as mine. I have heard of women where it does just begin with mild contractions and heavy loss out if the blue.

xxx
    Last edited by Kazza78; 16-07-2013 at 21:23.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Tangwyn  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really sorry for your loss - it's such a hard thing to go through. I have a blighted ovum with this pregnancy and I am booked in for a d&c this Thursday as I will be 11 weeks then and I am sick of waiting for it to happen naturally.

I have been doing a lot of reading and you can wait as long as you want if there are no signs of infection. Apparently after 10 weeks (pregnant not waiting) your risk of incomplete miscarriage or infection afterwards increases.

With my 1st miscarriage I started bleeding on a Sunday afternoon and passed all the tissue (it felt like early labour pains) on the Wednesday afternoon. Then bled like a normal period for a few more days. The bleeding was the first indication anything was wrong and I was 7 weeks at the time.

I wish you all the strength you need to get through this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeksie80 For This Useful Post:

Tangwyn  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was in a similar situation. I went for an 8wk u/s, no h/b but we asked to wait incase our dates were wrong. At 10 wks, still no hb and I was booked the following week for d&c. But I started to m/c naturally over the weekend. I woke up with a little bit of brown spotting. The day passed uneventfully. By mid afternoon I suddenly felt clammy, dizzy and like I needed to faint. At this point I started to lightly bleed fresh red blood, but no pain. DH took me to hospy where we were told it would be like a really bad period, and prescribed panadine forte.

I took the panadine and went to bed at 9pm. Midnight I was awake with cramps, they got increasingly worse until I couldn't bare it and DH took me back to hospy where they hooked me up to morphiene. At this stage I was bleeding through a pad every 20 mins or so.

Once I'd passed everything the pain subsided with only mild cramping for the next week or so. And bleeding slowed way down to a light period.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissusMac For This Useful Post:

Tangwyn  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am sorry for your loss, its such a difficult thing to go through no one really understands unless they have one and a recent one at that. All i can say is what i went through, but upon talking to friends who have had it happen there experiences were all different. We lost our girl 31st May last year, I was 9.5 weeks along, it still makes me sad and i think about her a lot, but it gets easier (i had genetic testing done and it was normal so doesn't mean the same will happen in the future). i waited 2 weeks went for a follow up scan still nothing no growth still had pregnancy symptoms, missed miscarriage confirmed, i took tablets to try and make it happen nothing (just made me have really bad diarrhea and period type cramping but nothing, I didn't go out since i found out i would most likely miscarry as i was worried i would randomly start bleeding very heavy (this is how one of my friends went, the other was spotting that slowly got worse). In the end I had a d&c =( I had to option to wait it out a little longer but emotionally i could deal with the waiting anymore, i think i spotted for 2 weeks after the procedure. It took 9 weeks and 3 days to get my period back after having the procedure. If you are not ready to try again so soon they warn you about being very fertile well thats true. I wish you all the best and hope you have very supportive partner, friends and family behind you at the difficult time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 3 under 4 For This Useful Post:

Tangwyn  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the wonderful advice, ladies. Very much appreciate it.

I have an appointment with my doctor today to discuss the US report and I suppose agree on next steps.

Physically I feel as though AF is on its way; aching uterus and dull back pain. I still don't have any spotting at all and my breasts are still extremely sore.

Emotionally I feel really sad and empty. I'm surprised about feeling as awful as I do because DH and I had prepared ourselves for the possibility and we both agree that if the pregnancy didn't progress then it is for a good reason. I'm not sure what I'm grieving exactly. But I'm definitely grieving :-(

The worst part of this is now the waiting and wondering if and when I'm actually going to go through the final part of the miscarriage. I'm terrified it will be with no warning when I'm at work or traveling :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so sorry for your loss

I have had 3 mc, first two ended in d&c around 10-11wks and last was natural at 7wks.

I chose to wait to miscarry naturally for my 2nd one. My gp recommended d&c but kindly respected my request to try naturally. After 2 weeks of waiting and then light bleeding I went to have d@c. Best decision as I first spotted at 6 weeks then we had the roller coaster of heartbeat then no heartbeat etc, finally had the d&c at 11 weeks. A very long 5 weeks. Was definitely my most difficult miscarriage emotionally.

Take care and allow yourself to feel the emotions. The grief involved surprised me. Thoughts are with you xx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zee153 For This Useful Post:

Tangwyn  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, so the doctor wanted to send me straight for a D&C but agreed to let me wait a week to see if I mc naturally.

I can feel my hormones changing; massive craving for sweet things which I couldn't stand for the last 7 weeks (only liked savory foods), and I'm no longer constipated (sorry TMI). Still got this dull ache/mild cramping in my abdomen. Will see what tomorrow brings...

Thanks again everyone for your advice and support. It helps a lot to feel I'm not the only one to have gone through this xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So sorry to hear tangwyn I had a miscarriage for my first pregnancy in april this year. It happened at 9 weeks but baby was the size of 6 weeks & had a very slow heartbeat even 2 days before I miscarried.

I had spotting for a week before the miscarriage, sort of like light period flow. I remember the day before it happened I had lower back cramps that continued that night and into the morning. Then the actual miscarriage happened the next day. I bled for another 2 weeks afterwards, about 3 weeks of bleeding/spotting in total. Everyone is different tho. Was such a horrible time waiting and not knowing if its going to happen naturally. I really didnt want a d&c.

Ur definately not alone. Pm me uf u need to talk. Hope ur doing ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, no cramps today. Really sharp abdominal pain and awful back pain across my shoulders. Biggest change is my personality; I feel like I have some serious PMS. Highly emotional and reactive. Crying very easily. My breasts are also a lot more painful than they have been and I experience a sharp pain if I touch them.

Food aversions have gone and I'm no longer feeling nauseous (which was constant from 4wks)

Still no spotting. :-(

My mum thinks I should go and have the D&C so the whole ordeal is over. I'm really worried about the potential for uterine damage. But must admit it would be a relief to finish this, get some closure and move on...