+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Night terrors/nightmares

mr 5yr old has been calling for me during the night, he will get out of bed and come to me if i dont get to him first. He is scared, shaking all over, he's very distressed and can't get his words out, his eyes are open but very dazed looking as though he is asleep, he doesn't focus on me when talking to him. I talk to him, soothe him then put him back to bed once he seems to have calmed down after a few minutes, he goes back to sleep. He doesn't remember it the following morning. This has happened 4 times in 2 weeks.

Night terrors or nightmares? They say you shouldn't interrupt them if they are night terrors from my quick google search but I don't know. It's upsetting for me to see him upset and scared.

Prior to this he has been fine. He has always been a good sleeper, goes to bed at the same time without fuss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 is 3 and started having night terrors about 2 months ago. He has also started dropping his day nap and I read that being overtired can trigger it. If he has a nap a couple of times a week he doesn't have them. Certainly not suggesting a 5 year old needs a nap, but maybe he's getting tired? Did he start school this year? Maybe it's all starting to catch up?
    We used to try and soothe DS1 because we were anxious about it. Now he gets a cuddle, then left to his own devices while we stand near him. We found touching or cuddling him made it worse. He gets put back to bed after a few minutes and goes straight back to sleep.

They're horrible, even though they don't remember it. I mostly hate the look of fear when DS is looking at us, like he doesn't even know who we are.

Apparently night terrors and nightmares can run in families. I have incredibly vivid dreams and if I have a nightmare I end up crying and yelling in my sleep and DH also has vivid nightmares and has been known to commando crawl across the room to escape nightmare spiders falling on his head :-0

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suffer from night terrors, sleep walking and sleep talking. I had them as a child, and it is only as an adult that they no longer freak me out.

If i don't wake up on my own, I usually find myself standing in the living room, or kitchen etc and then just go back to bed. If I don't, my DH will usually leads me back to bed.

It's hard to give advice, as a child, I'd be so freaked out about what I'd be dreaming about It was hard to get back to sleep. Usually involved spiders in my bed, monsters etc. I guess, try giving your son as much information as possible so he understands what night terrors are and why they're not real etc. A lot easier said then done.

I also find that being stressed causes them to happen too. So agree with PP about your son being rested, etc. Again, easier said than done!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks.

He sleeps 11hrs a night and doesn't appear tired during the day but I guess that's not to say he isn't tired, he did have a day sleep on the weekend which was the first in a while. He did start school this year and is a very active little fella when he's not at school so could be all catching up with him.

My brother was a sleep walker. He would strip his bed and try to flush the sheets down the toilet and pee in the wardrobe.