+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have seen this sort of thing so often during my time working in an office.

I believe its due to the fact that many HR are now just glorified admin assistants. HR roles and responsibilities and the recruitment of new staff is placed in the hands of admin / exec assistants that have no concept or respect of confidentiality who lack professionalism and work ethic.

One example of this was a lady I worked with who was an admin assistant was given the responsibility of hiring a fellow admin assistant with no guidance or supervision from the actual HR department, the guys she worked with in the office "rated" the girls as they walked in for their interviews and the "hottest" one got the job because they bullied her into saying she was her favourable candidate. Another admin assistant I worked with confided all personal details of each candidates CV to the other admins in the office and refused to interview one lady based on the fact that she knew she was aboriginal. I made a formal complaint about that one, but nothing was done about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Shocking story but I am sure that's the exception not the norm.

Most people in HR roles are HR professionals

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Uh-Oh  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Shocking story but I am sure that's the exception not the norm.

Most people in HR roles are HR professionals
    I don't think it is the exception, I have worked in the Oil & Gas / Resource industry for over 15yrs and I have many, many stories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    You have spent years studying to get a job that fits into your kids and dh's life, you get that job, but had to start at the bottom of the company, and work your way up....... Just like everyone else who works there, there is only 3 people In Your position and all of you have worked your backside off for anything, one lady leaves to have a baby which is wonderful news for her,

Then Your boss hires someone to fill her position, they have no qualifications, no experience at the job, never worked in this field before, but they are hired because of how they look...... That is the only reason they have been hired.
    I have been in your position and I was devastated when it happened to me. The boss hired an executive assistant, without advertising the position internally or externally, who was blonde, big busted and gorgeous. I had worked for the organisation for 2 years and performed duties above and beyond my role without complaint for the entire time.

I had a very good relationship with my boss so I actually went to him and told him how disappointed I was to be overlooked for the role without even having an opportunity to apply and that he knew how hard I worked and I felt completely undervalued and was devastated. He tried to tell me that the reason he didnt offer me the role was because I was invaluable to the organisation in the position I occupied. I then reminded him that the job I was in paid $12k less per year and that it simply wasn't good enough! somehow I managed to be nice and friendly to the woman who got the job because I did realise it wasn't her fault, she simply accepted a job that was offered to her. I will admit it was hard at times, particularly when she asked for my help with things.

I did conside leaving, however i still liked the job. 6 months later when a new role was created in the organisation I was successful in getting it and I stayed with the organisation another 11 years.

Its really hard. Is there any chance of raising it with your boss and finding out directly why you (and your colleagues) were overlooked?
    Last edited by GirlsRock; 17-07-2013 at 12:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to Love View Post
    I don't think it is the exception, I have worked in the Oil & Gas / Resource industry for over 15yrs and I have many, many stories.
    Perhaps it's an industry specific issue then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Perhaps it's an industry specific issue then
    Don't disagree with that, I think its quite rife within that particularly environment / industry. I guess the point is, it shouldn't be happening at all, and any form of discrimination really gets my goat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think there's a massive difference between, "We've got 2 decent candidates who can do the job, but that one's hot so we'll pick her," (which is unfair, but I have no doubt that people are chosen above others for their looks - either because they're attractive OR unattractive depending on the situation)... and "This person has no idea what to do in this role, has no interest in this role... but hey, he sure is pretty, so he'll do!"

I think the former probably happens a fair bit. I think the latter is very unlikely. I think good (or bad) looks are more likely to sweeten the deal than be the SOLE reason you hire someone.

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I think there's a massive difference between, "We've got 2 decent candidates who can do the job, but that one's hot so we'll pick her," (which is unfair, but I have no doubt that people are chosen above others for their looks - either because they're attractive OR unattractive depending on the situation)... and "This person has no idea what to do in this role, has no interest in this role... but hey, he sure is pretty, so he'll do!"

I think the former probably happens a fair bit. I think the latter is very unlikely. I think good (or bad) looks are more likely to sweeten the deal than be the SOLE reason you hire someone.
    Sometimes its the other way around too..."they are attractive so they must be stupid, lets not hire them" .
    OP, Either way its not fair but iv seen it alot in my workplace, i thinks its common unfortunately.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is out there a lot..... It honestly shocks me.... Until now, and after talking to people, I would have thought stuff like this is crap....

there are 3 people who have the same job as me, I worked up through the company, another lady was hired outside the company, but has all the qualifications, and now this guy...

this position was advertised to the public, and internally, but our boss just brought him in, and cancelled all other interviews, both internal and outside interviews,

we deal with mostly women in our business, according to my boss, all the women would come to us as he is good looking, he is not qualified for the job, I entered his résumé...... I won't tell you what was on in, except he knows nothing....... He has been there for a month now, and still hasn't picked up on anything, as my boss thought he would..... However it has been made clear to us he won't be leaving...

i gather there is maybe something we are not getting, however, why he is there has been made clear....

it upset me, because he isn't qualified, and I like many people busted my hump with small kids to get qualified..... It also upsets me as there were two people that I know of in the company who had applied and never got looked at, as well as the people outside the company....

if they really wanted someone good looking, I'm sure if they interviewed enough they could have found some hot guy to hire who could do the job..

but my boss has really taken him under the wing and we just have to be happy about it...... Which a few at work are finding hard

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is your boss in some sort of relationship with this guy? Seems odd that she 'brought him in'.... Did she know him somehow?