+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Not drinking it all

Hey mums!
    My daughter is 4 weeks and each bottle she doesn't finish at the moment. She leaves between 10-50ml each feed. A few days ago she easily got thru 120ml now she struggles. Can anyone tell me why she's doing this all of a sudden

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't stress - she may be full or she may need a bit more of a burp. Their appetites change. A lot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    maybe try another teat that's easier for her to suck..?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe she needs a faster flowing teat??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS was exactly the same - at around the same age, too. I was worried because he very rarely ate what the tin of formula said he should. At 9 months he still doesn't always completely finish his bottles.

The clinic nurses insisted that I was using the wrong bottles with the wrong flow; I tried 3 different bottles and there was no difference. Turns out he was just a sensible eater!

Try a higher flow teat and maybe a few different bottles. Let her have a few extra burps during her feed. Get her checked up to eliminate any other issues (reflux etc). And if she continues to leave some of her feed, then I think it'll be fine.

If bub is happy, not struggling during feeds, and wetting nappies and pooping, then she's probably getting exactly what she needs. Babies are pretty good at self regulating their feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I asked my paed recently as my dd (12 weeks old) about 3 weeks ago she dropped feeds suddenly from 200ml to 100ml-50ml same feeds per day about 6bottles. He said as long as nappies are wet and poo then it is fine

If your concerned ask your gp

Fat fingers typed this

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is 12 weeks and doing exactly the same, not finishing every feed. She's happy and has plenty of wet and dirty nappies. I haven't weighed her for a couple of week but can't tell she's still gaining a good amount of weight so I've decided not to worry about it. The CHN did tell me that at this age babies do get difficult ie with feeding etc because they are becoming more aware and therefore distracted with their surroundings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm going against the grain here and advising not to change the flow of the teat... depending on what you have. A faster flow that bub can't handle might cause more issues. When bub is drinking you are looking for a rhythm of suck swallow breathe. So eye watering or coughing. .. if too much milk is escaping then that's too fast as well. Also too much gap at the corners of the mouth can be a bad latch on the teat and therefore bub is sucking too much air.
    Is bub falling asleep when feeding? Or just showing they have had enough by refusing more? Babies can change daily with their feeding. As a pp said wet nappies etc are all a good sign.
    You might find bub developing a pattern. . eg... my dd never finishes morning bottles. . and then slowly gets more until night time. That's her routine.
    Another way to see if bub is getting enough, for peace of mind. . you could work out the mls getting per day. .
    Eg.. weight x 150 (120 is minimum) = total for 24 hr period.
    So bub weighs 5kgs.. times 150 = 750mls.
    Or minimum being 5 x 120 = 600mls.

If it's really worrying talk to your dr about possible issues with reflux etc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Remember that the amount on the tin is what the average population would take at that age. That doesn't mean that every baby would/should take that much at each feed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The best advice a midwife gave to me was that as adults we don't eat to a routine, sometimes we want to eat a lot, some times not as much. We don't eat a certain amount every certain hours...