+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1:2 risk Trisomy 21, extremely low PAPP-A

Hi everyone, this is my first thread on here and I wish it was coming from happier circumstances.
    I am 13 weeks pregnant with my first and after a perfect ultrasound I recieved some very bad blood results from my first trimester screening, putting me at very high risk of having a baby with trisomy 21 (1:2 risk)

These are my results:
    NT: 1.4mm (0.92 MoM)
    free beta hCG: 1.25 MoM
    PAPP-A: 0.07 MoM
    Gestational age 12w4d
    my blood test was done at 10 weeks 5 days
    I'm 28.

So basically it is my extremely low PAPP-A that is making my risk factor so high. Everything else is pretty normal, and a nasal bone was seen on the ultrasound. I
    had the Verifi maternal blood test done today (rather than cvs), but won't get results back for 2 weeks!! It is meant to be quite accurate, but it very expensive.
    I was just wondering if anyone else has had such low PAPP-A levels and what your outcomes were? I know if my baby is chromosomally normal, I am at greater risk of pre eclampsia, a small baby etc...
    Thanks in advance, I am totally beside myself at the moment and don't know how I'll get through the next few weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My sister had a Papp-a of 0.065 and it turned out to be WRONG, it was a typo when the ultrasound place was inputing the data. Id ask for the OB to contact the laboratory direct and get confirmation of the result.

Totally in love with our two beautiful little girls.
    Feb 2011 and May 2013

3. The Following User Says Thank You to giveitago For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (10-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I actually called the lab myself cos I just couldn't believe it, but they said it was correct and they had run the blood twice to check.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello emilylouise
    I read your post and just had to reply. In 2009 I was pregnant with my first and received the same result as you (1:2 for Downs). My scan was fine with an NT measurement of 2.7 but my bloods were shocking. I had an amnio at 16 weeks and all came back clear for chromosome abnomalities. I have a healthy 3 1/2 year old girl now and she is perfect in every way.
    I am now pregnant with number 2, we lost one last year to a partial molar pregnancy so this time around I am trying to stay positive which is what I encourage you to do. The waiting is horrible and hard but stressing is not good for yourself or the baby so keep strong and if you want to chat I am more than happy to here or privately.

Keep your chin up,
    Tahna.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tahna1 For This Useful Post:

emilylouise  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Tahna,
    Thank you so much for your reply. I tried to PM you but couldn't.
    Anyway, I am incredibly happy to say that the results of the Verify blood test came back clear of any chromosomal abnormalities
    I have my first appointment with an obstetrician next Tuesday, and will have lots of questions, especially as my PAPP-A is so incredibly low. do you know what your PAPP-A level was with your little girl? And did all go ok with the pregnancy?
    Thanks so much for sharing your positive story with me. Congratulations on your pregnancy! When is your due date? I'm due around the 19th January. Here's to smooth sailing ahead for us!

Emily

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Emily,
    That is fantastic about your bloods, great news!
    i went on to have a normal pregnancy with a healthy 9 pound 8 baby, I did have to be induced because we went past our due date. I'm not sure exactly what the bloods were now, I do know the Papp a was extremely low. I was 29 for that pregnancy too and I did have extreme morning sickness that I needed to be put on a drip in hospital for because I was so dehydrated, that was about 10 weeks. I sort of wonder if that sickness may have impacted my bloods? Have you had much sickness so far?

This time around I estimate to be due approx 21st of march according to online calculators, I can't get into my dr though until the 1st of August because she's away. I have to make the decisions of what testing to do because as last years partial molar pregnancy we had, they found chromosome problems on number 7. My husband and I had genetic testing done and all came back ok so hopefully it was just a really big messed up pregnancy last year that will be a one off. I'd just love to have an uncomplicated pregnancy this one around

I'm not sure why the pm didn't work, I had trouble yesterday using my original log in name from 2009(. Assume it expired or something) so had to start a new one. i'll check my settings to allow pms? but if you do a search for posts from tahna ( without the 1) you should be able to bring up all my posts from 2009 when I was searching for reassurances from others who had similar results to me. I'm sure you will be able to relate to the things I was writing back then. Was such a hard time!

let me know how you go at the next appointment. I have everything crossed for you
    cheers
    tahna

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Tahna,
    I haven't had any morning sickness so have been very lucky in that respect. How have you been so far this pregnancy?
    I had a look at your old posts but couldn't see what your papp-a level was... I haven't heard of many people with one as low as mine, so quite nervous! I also noticed you are in Adelaide too
    I still can't pm you - it says you have chosen not to recieve pm's or are not allowed to recieve them?! Maybe if you can pm me I'll give you my email address so we can keep chatting in private?
    Look forward to hearing from you
    Emily

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ,

My nt measurement was 1.2 which was great but blood results were abnormal :-( same like u , me too from Adelaide

my hcg was 3.5 mom
    paapa 0.60 mom

iam 30 years old gave me risk of 1:130 for T21 :-(

iam afraid to go for amnio so doc suggested to go for verifi test
    waiting for my verifi results

since u too have gone for verifi can u please let me know in how many days u got the results

iam really tensed and waiting for my results

good luck and happy for u that some one in my situation got all clear from verifi

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, sorry I just saw your post. Are you still waiting for your results? I have all my fingers crossed for you, I know that 10 day wait is torture. My results came back sooner than the 10 days stated. I actually called clinpath here in Kent Town to see if they were in, as they get faxed there erly each morning due to the time difference between here and USA. Did you have your test through clinpath too? I had my bolld test on a Monday, and results were back the following Tuesday.
    It's great that your nuchal measurement was nice and low. And your bloods are way better than mine were if that makes you fell better
    xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    ps, I actually had my 1st trimester screening bloods repeated, and the next time my PAPP-A was 0.1 MoM and hcg was 3.13 MOM (so my hcg was high like yours, and PAPP-A waaaaaay lower). xx